Forums > Photography Talk > More Canon 46MB camera rumors.

Photographer

moving pictures

Paris, Île-de-France, France

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/46-1 … -2012-cr1/

The moment this camera is officially announced, the last nail is drilled into Hassey's coffin.

Sep 22 12 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

DWShoots

Minsk, Minsk, Belarus

Lord, does 99% of photographers even need 46mp?

Sep 22 12 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Hahahaha!! Have fun with those big ass files!!:-))))

Sep 22 12 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

You think the people who own the medium format Hassy 30-50 megapixel cameras were just waiting for Canon to produce a comparable megapixel count so they could switch right over? Highly unlikely.

I have a feeling Hasselblad will do just fine regardless of what Canon, or any other dslr producer does.

Sep 22 12 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

DWShoots wrote:

Maybe only 1% need it, but some of them REALLY need it. Think about those guys putting the price of a house into medium format. And another 3 or 4 percent will buy it anyway Not to mention all the photographers who will buy lesser Canons with the idea they will someday move up. Canon will make money.

Sep 22 12 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

You cannot trust those CR and NR...I never do, I just wait until Canon and Nikon releases them....Never Trust NR and CR....They never get it right!!!

Sep 22 12 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

moving pictures wrote:

The moment this camera is officially announced, the last nail is drilled into Hassey's coffin.

Good luck with that.  Canon aren't going to bring out the 46MP camera this year or next year.  The rumors is nothing more than Canon fanboyish dream so that they won't feel bad about the D800.

Also, Canon has the 5DIII 22MP at MRSP of $3500.  Imagine 5DX (or whatever it is going to be called), how much do you think this 46MP is going to cost? $4500, $5500?

The way I see it.  Canon has to put money in R&D onto the sensor technology.  It needs to improve on DR and get rid completely get rid of Shadow noise/banding in order to complete with Sony's sensor.

Sep 22 12 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

DWShoots wrote:

Well..I USED to shoot 8x10 film. But was lured away by the mobility of medium format. I went 6x6 then 6x7 and 6x9....I was looking for the resolution and tonal range of large format mixed with the mobility and ability to actually capture movement. And I own the Nikon D800 currently.

Sep 22 12 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Wait... !~!!

USB 5.0 hasn't been released yet!

Sep 22 12 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

DWShoots wrote:

I think the same was said about 14-16mp. (or 8-10, etc)

Sep 22 12 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:

Good luck with that.  Canon aren't going to bring out the 46MP camera this year or next year.  The rumors is nothing more than Canon fanboyish dream so that they won't feel bad about the D800.

Also, Canon has the 5DIII 22MP at MRSP of $3500.  Imagine 5DX (or whatever it is going to be called), how much do you think this 46MP is going to cost? $4500, $5500?

The way I see it.  Canon has to put money in R&D onto the sensor technology.  It needs to improve on DR and get rid completely get rid of Shadow noise/banding in order to complete with Sony's sensor.

I really and most believe that Canon got caught with their britches down on the Nikon D800...no one believe that Nikon would release a 36.3mp camera. I do believe that Canon will produce a high end MP. I have heard rumors from 38-46mp. Who knows.

Sep 22 12 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

I really and most believe that Canon got caught with their britches down on the Nikon D800...no one believe that Nikon would release a 36.3mp camera. I do believe that Canon will produce a high end MP. I have heard rumors from 38-46mp. Who knows.

I believe so too since the D3X is only 24MP and it is asking for 8K.  Canon wouldn't imaging Nikon would bring out a 24MP for $4000.  The D800 really caught Canon surprise, especially 36MP for $3000 and it has highest DR rating.

My take is that we won't see Canon's new sensor technology in two or three years.  Canon also needs to update some of its lenses as the new Nikkor lenses are better than the current Canon lenses (.i.e. 50mm G series, 85mm G series, 24mm, 35mm f1.4G series etc).

Sep 22 12 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Yingwah Productions

New York, New York, US

*copy paste every stupid comment about D800 resolution in here*

Sep 22 12 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I was sorely disappointed when Nikon released the D800 without the D4 sensor.  I was hoping for another repeat of the D700/D3 relation.  I would take the ultra-high ISO over the megapixels any day.

Sep 22 12 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

DWShoots wrote:

The day the Canon announces a 46MB body with 16bit RAW, is the day I shelve all my MF plans and buy more Canon lenses and pre-order that body.

Sep 22 12 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

moving pictures wrote:

You must not understand a lot about optics.

Sep 22 12 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

And you know this because....

Sep 22 12 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Tim Foster wrote:

You must not understand a lot about optics.

I guess so - compared to you.  Care to share your wisdom.

Sep 22 12 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

I don't believe in the rumor sites, but I don't think they ever officially killed the 1Ds. I wouldn't be surprised. But not going to buy a new body for a while, so it's irrelevant for me. Newer cameras are better feature-wise, but IQ-wise, it's not night-and-day.

If I had the budget, I'd get a couple of 1Dx bodies and call it a day. If either of my bodies went down, I'd probably just get them fixed.

Sep 22 12 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

PTFPhoto

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Extrosy wrote:
I was sorely disappointed when Nikon released the D800 without the D4 sensor.  I was hoping for another repeat of the D700/D3 relation.  I would take the ultra-high ISO over the megapixels any day.

Have you ever shot a D800? 

Because I can tell you right now, the D800's ISO performance *WHEN PRINTED OR DELIVERED TO THE SAME SIZE* is as good as or up to a stop better than my D3s. And the D4 does not better the D3s for ISO.  The D800 will absolutely STOMP the D700/D3 in ISO performance.

Sep 22 12 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

PTFPhoto

Tallahassee, Florida, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
You cannot trust those CR and NR...I never do, I just wait until Canon and Nikon releases them....Never Trust NR and CR....They never get it right!!!

Really?  They were perfect on the release of the D800 months in advance.  They were right on the D4.  They were right on the D600. They were right on the D3200, they were right on the D5100. I can't speak to the CR site because I don't follow it, but the NR site has been on the money for the last year on the Nikon stuff.

Sep 22 12 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

moving pictures wrote:

ha.  what size is canon sensor?

Sep 22 12 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Aspiration Images

Gosford, New South Wales, Australia

46MP if it does come out is still about half the current MF offerings, but most people aren't buying MF for the MP. If you spend your life worrying what camera other people use you will become bitter and twisted.

Canon has already announced 3 new FF models this year, which is 3 times as many as most years. My 5D2 is still fine so I'll wait and see.

Nikon has come out with a cheap numbers machine. Why? Probably they are desperate about having lost half their market share to Sony.

I think it is just a case of trying to find out what the market wants. Hasselblad probably should go back to using Phase One backs.

Sep 22 12 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:

I swear people spend more time looking at and discussing rumors than actual shooting

Sep 22 12 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

moving pictures

Mark Laubenheimer wrote:

ha.  what size is canon sensor?

Well, most likely not 8x10.   So it won't get that 8x10 DOF or background blur.  Tragic, I know.

But if as rumored it delivers 16bit RAW at 46MB with body under $7,000 while Hassy offers nearly the same for $30,000, the amount of people willing to pay an extra $23,000 to get the DOF of a larger sensor, I suspect, is going to be rather small.

Sep 22 12 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

moving pictures wrote:

Well, not till Canon goes 100% Zeiss lenses.

Sep 22 12 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

JM Franceschi

Plus on MF you barely shoot wider than 2.8... 

On Nikon's or Canon's system you have access to 1,2 - 1,4 aperture with good results with the right technique. That's for the DOF.

Still, MF will remain be far better in certain uses.

Anyway, those who need these technologies know they have to buy this kind or gear and don't need to be convinced by reading forums.

Sep 22 12 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

moving pictures wrote:

I guess so - compared to you.  Care to share your wisdom.

A lens designed for a small image circle is never going to provide the overall resolution of a larger lens. There's a lot more to image quality than megapixels. You can build a 100 megapixel 135-sized sensor, but if your lens can't resolve that much detail, what's the point?

I'd suggest you try shooting medium or large format film sometime if you haven't before. It's worth it.

Sep 22 12 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Foster

Orlando, Florida, US

JMPhoe wrote:
Plus on MF you barely shoot wider than 2.8... 

On Nikon's or Canon's system you have access to 1,2 - 1,4 aperture with good results with the right technique. That's for the DOF.

Still, MF will remain be far better in certain uses.

Anyway, those who need these technologies know they have to buy this kind or gear and don't need to be convinced by reading forums.

I've got an RZ67 with a 110mm F/2.8 lens. Wide open, I get roughly the same depth of field as my Canon 5D2 with a 50mm F/1.2. However, the resolution and image quality on the MF camera wide open is far better. Blows the DSLR away.

Sep 23 12 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

DWShoots wrote:

I sell prints in galleries. The bigger they are the more I charge, and the profit is much greater with the proportional size.

My Canon 5DII is okay yet suffers a little at 24" wide. A Nikon D800 or a larger DSLR would work for me. A MF is too slow and too expensive.

Sep 23 12 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

AspirationImages wrote:
46MP if it does come out is still about half the current MF offerings, but most people aren't buying MF for the MP. If you spend your life worrying what camera other people use you will become bitter and twisted.

Canon has already announced 3 new FF models this year, which is 3 times as many as most years. My 5D2 is still fine so I'll wait and see.

Nikon has come out with a cheap numbers machine. Why? Probably they are desperate about having lost half their market share to Sony.

I think it is just a case of trying to find out what the market wants. Hasselblad probably should go back to using Phase One backs.

I just had a look at Hasselblad's current offerings. They have the H4D in 31, 40, 50, and 60. 46 is bigger than the first two, close to the third, and far more than "about half" of the largest.

I am curious where you've seen figures showing Nikon losing half their market share to Sony. I'd like to read the details, because market share numbers are always slippery - are they for DSLRs, or all cameras, or compacts, or what?

Sep 23 12 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Don't think that they are not doing this!  Just because they haven't come out with a high megapixel sensor yet for their cameras doesn't mean that they are not working on one.

Sep 23 12 01:55 am Link

Photographer

DAVfoto

New York, New York, US

moving pictures wrote:

Well, most likely not 8x10.   So it won't get that 8x10 DOF or background blur.  Tragic, I know.

But if as rumored it delivers 16bit RAW at 46MB with body under $7,000 while Hassy offers nearly the same for $30,000, the amount of people willing to pay an extra $23,000 to get the DOF of a larger sensor, I suspect, is going to be rather small.

Hassy's offerings are a bit cheaper now.  I am about to lease a brand new H4D31 next week for 13995 with lens.  I may even talk them down a bit to get the lease number the way I want it.  I do agree that Hassy isn't trying to advance but their cameras still will give me the feel for beauty that neither the D800 or 5D3 can offer.

Sep 23 12 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

DAVphoto, what areas do you see a remarkable difference between DSLR and MF?

When I last tested both side by side the Hasselblad 39MKII vs Canon 5DII there were differences yet it was more pixel peeping that showed the differences. At the time I had unpacked both so I knew neither camera.

The view finder though on the H was the joy missing from 35mm.

Sep 23 12 06:04 am Link

Photographer

David J Martin

El Paso, Texas, US

DWShoots wrote:

Wasn't there a big what to do about a certain 36 MP camera topping it's direct competitor on MP count alone?

Sep 23 12 07:19 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

moving pictures wrote:

And you know this because....

I am guessing because as soon as the D800 announced, Canon Rumor came out with Canon is going to release a high end MP blah blah this year to compete with the D800.  Seems like very time there is a Nikon release, Canon Rumor will have something out as well.

Sep 23 12 07:33 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Don't think that they are not doing this!  Just because they haven't come out with a high megapixel sensor yet for their cameras doesn't mean that they are not working on one.

I think for the past two to three years. Canon trying to after Cinema (Competing with Red and in some way with Sony).  Look at Canon's 1DX, C300, C500, new Cinema lenses etc, these are all for Cinema to complete with the RED or in some way with Sony.  Every year there is a budget for R&D and if the budget is to create Cinema, then there won't be much budget left for other things, i.e. new Sensor, new Still Images Cameras etc.

Canon can come out with high end MP camera.  They can do it easily.  However, we also have to look at the lenses.  Canon hasn't update is current lenses while Nikon already updated it line of lenses for the past two years ago. 

The president of Canon stepped down early this year. I think Canon started to realign its management. 

Zeiss also announced that it will create new line of lenses for high resolution (30MP+) DSLRs.  In next few years, we will see DSLRs with 36MP+ as the norm.

Sep 23 12 07:49 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm waiting for the gazzilon megapixel camera...

It's coming..

Just wait.

Sep 23 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Reggie Dennis

Ashburn, Virginia, US

It will have a new 13 pt AF system!

Sep 23 12 08:09 am Link

Photographer

TheScarletLetterSeries

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Canon can come out with high end MP camera.  They can do it easily.  However, we also have to look at the lenses.  Canon hasn't update is current lenses while Nikon already updated it line of lenses for the past two years ago.

Actually, Canon has updated (and continues to do so) its current lens line-up.  And the improvements are noticeable and worthwhile.  e,g., 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, venerable 300mm f/2.8 IS III, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 16-35mm II, 17mm TSE, etc.  I don't doubt that Canon will have an answer of some sort to the D800--it's just a matter of when...

For those that actually shoot with medium format digital, a high MP/capable DSLR has always been a perfect complement to a current generation MFDB.  It's never been about choosing one format over the other, but rather having the right tool for the job.  And that often means maintaining two separate systems (both formats) in studio.

To those in the Nikon camp, the D800 is the current perfect complement to a high res MFDB.  I eagerly await Canon's response for the perfect complement to the Phase IQ180.

Sep 23 12 08:14 am Link