Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > OMG New Myspace!!!

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

http://vimeo.com/50071857

doesn't it look shiny?

Sep 24 12 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Caustic Disco wrote:
http://vimeo.com/50071857

doesn't it look shiny?

In my opinion, too little, too late. (way too late).

Sep 24 12 07:20 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

that's what i figured, but hell, there was friendster, then myspace, then facebook, maybe everyone's about due for a new social networking site, and maybe it happens to be an old social networking site revamped. i guess i just have a soft spot in my heart for myspace since i spent 4 glorious years effing around on it lol.

Sep 24 12 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Caustic Disco wrote:
that's what i figured, but hell, there was friendster, then myspace, then facebook, maybe everyone's about due for a new social networking site, and maybe it happens to be an old social networking site revamped. i guess i just have a soft spot in my heart for myspace since i spent 4 glorious years effing around on it lol.

MySpace has been "revamping" their design several times over the course of their demise.

I still remember GeoShities (Geocities), and AngelFart (AngelFire). tongue I still remember compu-serve forums (which are more like chat rooms).

Sep 24 12 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

San Diego, California, US

Caustic Disco wrote:

Nah people would be embarassed to say they're on MySpace now. Unless they rename it then there's no hope it'll ever be big again.

Sep 24 12 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

I like it.

Can't wait to add the layout to my tumblr

Sep 24 12 07:29 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Instinct Images wrote:

Nah people would be embarassed to say they're on MySpace now. Unless they rename it then there's no hope it'll ever be big again.

fo sho, what would be a cool name for a kickass social networking site?

Sep 24 12 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Instinct Images wrote:

That's the biggest problem, the name association. Now days *at best* you might link up a myspace page if you're a musician, otherwise it seems extremely outdated to use them, even if they completely revamp it.

Sep 24 12 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Caustic Disco wrote:
fo sho, what would be a cool name for a kickass social networking site?

AssBook... big_smile cuz everyone on it would be an asshole at some point or another, but other times you'll like their ass, and talk about kick-ass things, or someone might get on your ass bout the latest political debate you can't be assed about.

Sep 24 12 07:31 pm Link

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

Karl Blessing wrote:

AssBook... big_smile cuz everyone on it would be an asshole at some point or another, but other times you'll like their ass, and talk about kick-ass things, or someone might get on your ass bout the latest political debate you can't be assed about.

lol assbook i love it!!

Sep 24 12 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

Seems like new myspace is generating some buzz. More than what I'd expect. There's so many social networking sites out there, and interestingly enough, there's room for more.

Twitter, tumblr, pinterest, and others put a dent on Facebook. Facebook is still at the top, but it's starting its decline just like myspace declined. Wouldn't be surprised to see myspace make some kind of comeback.

Sep 24 12 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

R_Marquez wrote:
Seems like new myspace is generating some buzz. More than what I'd expect. There's so many social networking sites out there, and interestingly enough, there's room for more.

Twitter, tumblr, pinterest, and others put a dent on Facebook. Facebook is still at the top, but it's starting its decline just like myspace declined. Wouldn't be surprised to see myspace make some kind of comeback.

I *still* haven't bothered with pinterest.

Who knows maybe Google+ might actually do something lol. *maybe*

I think the problem is when something becomes too big, people fear it, and they'll go to something smaller, even if that's just the illusion.

Sep 24 12 07:36 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

R_Marquez wrote:

this. With twitter and instagram i rarely go on facebook anymore.

Sep 24 12 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

Presley ONeil wrote:

this. With twitter and instagram i rarely go on facebook anymore.

Right, instagram is pretty big too. I knew I was forgetting a major one. I'm a twitter person. Never got into Facebook. It felt too stalker'ish and cluttered.

Sep 24 12 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

Karl Blessing wrote:

I *still* haven't bothered with pinterest.

Who knows maybe Google+ might actually do something lol. *maybe*

I think the problem is when something becomes too big, people fear it, and they'll go to something smaller, even if that's just the illusion.

I forgot about Google+, but it's sort of meh. It's a good concept, but it just never caught on.

I don't think it's that sites get too big. It's just the trend. At once time, people made it seem as if being on Facebook was "cool" and it became huge, and then bigger. But now there are alternatives and there's almost something for everybody, which is good.

Sep 24 12 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jirrupin

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

looks good, but need a name change, too much baggage. No doubt Facebook is getting real old, and there's a lot to hate about it. I kinda think it'll always be the youngest demographic that start the migrations though, motivated by the desire to have a site where they don't think their parents are spying on them

Sep 24 12 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

r T p

Los Angeles, California, US

Instinct Images wrote:

Nah people would be embarassed to say they're on MySpace now.

n
o shiet! ...

it's embarrassing-enough
to say you're on Facebook

Sep 24 12 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

The Art of Churchwell

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

MSN groups

Sep 24 12 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

C. Scott Photography

Huntington Beach, California, US

Lame.

I don't really have an opinion on the site but I just got dumped by a girl who works for them, so they're dead to me.

Sep 24 12 09:51 pm Link

Retoucher

Angela Perez

Orlando, Florida, US

Love the look of it complete 180. So contemporary and clean unlike the old crap.  I might just have to reactivate my Myspace account.

Sep 24 12 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Angela Perez wrote:
Love the look of it complete 180. So contemporary and clean unlike the old crap.  I might just have to reactivate my Myspace account.

It used to be that people loved myspace simple cuz they could customize it to their own look (however bad that it came out). I remember I used to charge people about 50$ a pop to create their own myspace page with their own look above the status bar/etc.

Sep 24 12 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

It looks like it requires you to have ADD to use the interface.

Sep 24 12 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

The new design does look nice, very contemporary. But it's still MySpace. They're going to have a big problem getting past that. And it doesn't matter how nice the web interface is if they don't have an equally nice smartphone app.

Actually it just doesn't matter!

Sep 24 12 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

No thanks.

Sep 25 12 12:21 am Link

Photographer

MB-2

New York, New York, US

That new design looks slick and sleek.

Why the fuck didn't they rebrand and lose the name "Myspace"?  It has the unshakable stink of failure on it. 

The great irony of it is that the centerpiece of that ad is Justin Timberlake, who dropped the N*Sync branding to reemerge as a legitimately cool superstar.

#MySpaceFail

Sep 25 12 12:29 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

Timberlake is part owner of myspace.

Sep 25 12 12:59 am Link

Photographer

MB-2

New York, New York, US

R_Marquez wrote:
Timberlake is part owner of myspace.

Funny that he starred in the facebook movie.  This is some through the looking glass shit.

Sep 25 12 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Aspect By Allanah

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Bleh, I remember the yahoo messenger/video calling around 2000, perhaps late 90s, then there was the pixelsites that alot of kids used. I used to use Bebo quite alot before it went downhill around 2008/09.
I signed up for twitter early 2009 and still don't like it. I was peer pressured into using facebook in 2010 because people had been posting photos of me I hadn't seen. I've tried my hand at quite alot of different social and networking sites, but aside from using skype alot, I only really use fb,MM and youtube for the last 2 years.
I may have signed up on myspace using my old old aol address but I never logged on again, i just didn't find it appealing.

Sep 25 12 02:17 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Caustic Disco wrote:

I love the original Myspace.
I used to write my own code, no editor.
People really connected through creative means.
It was cool.

Now people speak in acronyms, numbers and the most interesting thing beyond their *fan* page (lol) and creative endeavors is their ability to display food & ass.

So glad I'm off FB and such.

Sep 25 12 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

My grandpa used to be on a social network. It was called Morsebook.

.-.. --- .-..

Sep 25 12 04:32 am Link

Model

QuietAsKept

Baltimore, Maryland, US

MySpace is the social networking version of One Model Place. lol

Sep 25 12 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

They have a new name for MySpace!

DeadSpace

Sep 25 12 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

The thing that drove me away from Myspace was that people would put so much crap on their page it would bog down my computer,nevermind half the pages would not open from a phone(ie,videos,ect)
they probably still have not adjusted this either.

Sep 25 12 06:09 am Link

Photographer

E P O N A

Copiague, New York, US

MySpace was soooooo high school.wink

Sep 25 12 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

QuietAsKept wrote:
MySpace is the social networking version of OMP. lol

big_smile

Sep 25 12 08:15 am Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

I love myspace! I still visit it every now and again, but I don't do it often because there is not much to do there.

Sep 25 12 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

I was never really sure what caused the mass migration from MySpace to FB.  I thought maybe it was the glut of teens and pre-teens that turned off adults...but you've got the same situation on FB too. 

FB is more difficult to navigate, more difficult to customize, more difficult to manage, and from the stories I hear - draconian and arbitrary in their enforcement of the tos. 

But everyone went there.  Go figure.

Sep 25 12 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

I love how you can use Facebook to log in.

Sep 25 12 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Extrosy

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

The new myspace makes my head hurt. Like facebook and pinterest had a baby who watches youtube all day. But I guess it's shiny.

Sep 25 12 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Instinct Images

Roy Hubbard wrote:
I love how you can use Facebook to log in.

Yeah that made me laugh too.

Irony at its best!

Sep 25 12 12:14 pm Link