Forums > Critique > What do you think of my top row?

Photographer

T I A R A

Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Would love some feedback on my top row of images.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Sep 25 12 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Collages... I'm not a fan of collages. Your collages are weird!

Just my opinion.

Sep 25 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

The Effective Image wrote:
Collages... I'm not a fan of collages. Your collages are weird!

Just my opinion.

Could you tell me why? So that I can improve?

This is my favorite of your images:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/110721/16/4e28b245d1d62_m.jpg

Sep 25 12 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

IMHO, collages 'dilute' strong images and don't help weak ones at all.

Your collages are 'weird' in that you make up collages of collages, and the images are not even remotely 'similar'.

Oops... my mistake some of what I thought were 'collages' are really separate images that just had no text between them. Now that they have a few view counts, I see that they are really separate images. Anyway, you still have collages...

Ya gotta be B R U T A L in posting only the best of your images. Putting together collages get's you more 'image space' but no one is going to hire you because you saved a few bucks by not upgrading to more image slots: they hire you because your images are good! And 15 'good' images will beat 100 'so-so' images any day.

As is oft remarked in these forums... pick the best (shot from a shoot) and dump the rest.

Don't know which is the best? Better start learning what is a 'good' image and what is a 'so-so' image. It's part of the job.

Just my opinion.

Sep 25 12 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

dd photography

San Diego, California, US

Not nearly as good as your row 3.
DD

Sep 25 12 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

dd photography wrote:
DD

+1

Sep 25 12 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Encaptured Perfection

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

While i generally agree with this, I dont think this applies to most people's opinion of collages...while a good eye can tell when a bad image is masked within a collage, i find from viewcount and number of comments on some collages online that a great collage can deceive most people's eyes all the time! I have seen multiple collages of images that wont make it as a single picture - but as a visual assault it did have an impact. A photog that can't seem to frame a great picture by itself puts together foot, waist, boobs, lips, covered hair into a collage and suddenly it looks pretty artistic.

Sep 25 12 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Encaptured Perfection

OP i agree with the other 2 posters..your 3rd row images are really strong compared to the top row.

Sep 25 12 08:26 pm Link

Model

Cole Morrison

Portland, Oregon, US

The images are flat and could use some editing, and the framing is a bit tight on a couple. The styling is just atrocious but that is not your fault.
You have better images than these.

Sep 25 12 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Your collages are 'weird' in that you make up collages of collages, and the images are not even remotely 'similar'.

Oops... my mistake some of what I thought were 'collages' are really separate images that just had no text between them. Now that they have a few view counts, I see that they are really separate images. Anyway, you still have collages...

Ya gotta be B R U T A L in posting only the best of your images. Putting together collages get's you more 'image space' but no one is going to hire you because you saved a few bucks by not upgrading to more image slots: they hire you because your images are good! And 15 'good' images will beat 100 'so-so' images any day.

As is oft remarked in these forums... pick the best (shot from a shoot) and dump the rest.

Don't know which is the best? Better start learning what is a 'good' image and what is a 'so-so' image. It's part of the job.

Just my opinion.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I guess I've got some culling to do!

Sep 25 12 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Encaptured Perfection wrote:
While i generally agree with this, I dont think this applies to most people's opinion of collages...while a good eye can tell when a bad image is masked within a collage, i find from viewcount and number of comments on some collages online that a great collage can deceive most people's eyes all the time! I have seen multiple collages of images that wont make it as a single picture - but as a visual assault it did have an impact. A photog that can't seem to frame a great picture by itself puts together foot, waist, boobs, lips, covered hair into a collage and suddenly it looks pretty artistic.

You have a point but I think you're right in saying that it looks like I'm trying to disguise a shitty image. Kinda like some photogs do with black and white.
I think maybe I should start being more ruthless with what images I post.
Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120925/17/50624febefc8b_m.jpg

This is your best IMO

Sep 25 12 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Cole Morrison wrote:
The images are flat and could use some editing, and the framing is a bit tight on a couple. The styling is just atrocious but that is not your fault.
You have better images than these.

I really like your avatar. Or this one:

OP i agree with the other 2 posters..your 3rd row images are really strong compared to the top row.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Very helpful. smile

Sep 25 12 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

i prefer your bottom. borat

Sep 25 12 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

dd photography wrote:
DD

Found it super hard to pick your best as there were so many great shots but this one stood out to me!

Sep 25 12 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:

+1

Pick of the litter!

Sep 25 12 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Michael Broughton wrote:
i prefer your bottom. borat

Thanks. smile

Your best:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120122/23/4f1d08417103a_m.jpg

Sep 25 12 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Encaptured Perfection

Tiara Seccombe wrote:

You have a point but I think you're right in saying that it looks like I'm trying to disguise a shitty image. Kinda like some photogs do with black and white.
I think maybe I should start being more ruthless with what images I post.
Thanks so much for all the helpful advice. smile

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120925/17/50624febefc8b_m.jpg

This is your best IMO

Thanks. And just to clarify, I was responding to the other photog. Personally, while i think some people do collages to hide bad apples, i think yours are not.
- The black and white expression ones is very well done, and if it was hung in a gallery - would have been done in collages of canvases too! Each individual ones stands by its own.
- Looks to me that your  3 horizontal collages is done because of MM's limitation for horizontal images. They all can stand by themselves. 

I am not bothered by your particular use of collages. By the way, good culling :p.

Sep 25 12 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Thanks. And just to clarify, I was responding to the other photog. Personally, while i think some people do collages to hide bad apples, i think yours are not.
- The black and white expression ones is very well done, and if it was hung in a gallery - would have been done in collages of canvases too! Each individual ones stands by its own.
- Looks to me that your  3 horizontal collages is done because of MM's limitation for horizontal images. They all can stand by themselves. 

I am not bothered by your particular use of collages. By the way, good culling :p.

Thanks. I just got rid of anything that wasn't commented on or listed.
Happy Shooting! Keep up your fantastic work. smile

Sep 25 12 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

A look at row 1
Photo 4
Details
Bet in the last group of photos you could have moved the camera to get rid of power pole
Middle photo rocks

Photo 3
Camera angle quite low
Glare is washing out contrast
Missing hands
Move model to photo left a bit, so there is more space in front of her

Photo 2
Give me all of the hands in photo 7 best of the group

Photo 1
Eyes appear to not be in sharp focus
Hair seems washed out from glare
Raise camera to eye level

Posing think dynamic, try not to face head and shoulders in same direction
Long fingers
Arch back
Glare is a fad, why waste your money on a quality camera and lenses

Sep 26 12 05:44 am Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Lee_Photography wrote:
A look at row 1
Photo 4
Details
Bet in the last group of photos you could have moved the camera to get rid of power pole
Middle photo rocks

Photo 3
Camera angle quite low
Glare is washing out contrast
Missing hands
Move model to photo left a bit, so there is more space in front of her

Photo 2
Give me all of the hands in photo 7 best of the group

Photo 1
Eyes appear to not be in sharp focus
Hair seems washed out from glare
Raise camera to eye level

Posing think dynamic, try not to face head and shoulders in same direction
Long fingers
Arch back
Glare is a fad, why waste your money on a quality camera and lenses

Thanks for the advice.
These weren't the ones I was talking about (I deleted them) but appreciate the feedback regardless! I'll definitely take your advice! smile
Happy Shooting!

Your best:
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100611/07/4c1241da48f6e_m.jpg

Sep 26 12 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

The collage in the first row really doesn't make a lot of sense. There's no cohesive "theme". It's like you couldn't decide which image you liked best, so you threw them together.

The outdoor shots, well, I'm distracted by the completely blown-out sky. It works to an extent with the shot in the field, but the rest... it seems you don't know how to achieve a balanced exposure in harsh lighting conditions.

Sep 26 12 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Ray

Chicago, Illinois, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120925/20/50627a7a1bf56_m.jpg

Sep 26 12 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Man that is one bad row of pics.  Almost all the pics in the collage are bad by themselves but by lumping them together the collage may be better than its parts.

Really think the styling on the bkini vest girl is bad, and I see zero story going on just a girl stuck in the desert, the 2nd pic is very bland to.

What are you thinking - you like them?  why?

Sep 29 12 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Mark wrote:
Man that is one bad row of pics.  Almost all the pics in the collage are bad by themselves but by lumping them together the collage may be better than its parts.

Really think the styling on the bkini vest girl is bad, and I see zero story going on just a girl stuck in the desert, the 2nd pic is very bland to.

What are you thinking - you like them?  why?

Would you mind providing some constructive criticism that I can actually use? Instead of just being an asshole?

Oct 04 12 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jhono Bashian

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Collages... I'm not a fan of collages.

I also agree.  why collages? can't you pick just one shot or do you need to see 9??

Oct 04 12 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

Some really good work there, just stick with single images.

Ignore the jerks.

Avoid cliche'd expressions.

Oct 06 12 03:29 am Link

Photographer

GMM Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Image 1
Dispite the popular consensus of people not liking collages, I think this is a good concept and well executed. Being able to show the models range of expresions and emotions is well done. It could be the laptop that I am on atm, but the photo quality seems to be off just a little. Personally I feel an image like this is better suited for the models portfolio, picking the best image and using that one in yours.

Image 2
I am not a fan of blown out highlights or over exposed images. The model looks as though she is completely not comortable having her photo taken.  This location and model had so much potential but poorly executed. Once again the image quality is poor. This is probably the one image in your port that probably should not be there.

Image 3
This one I am on the fence about. As stated before I am ok with collages, but perhaps this would have been better if it showed some sort of storyline. I love the image in the middle but it just doesn't fit with the other two. I would suggest that you do some research on triptych to understand the flow that can be created when doing this type of post work. Once again the highlights are blown out. You might want to concider changing the time of day that you shoot and avoid the midday sun.

Image 4
This image is so simlar to 3 that the above critique applies to this one as well. The left side, watch your cropping. Its better to capture the model without missing appendages and crop later. The right side is just somewhat bland. The pose is not interesting and once again this has so much potential but it falls flat.

In my opinion your on the right track but first and foremost you need to understand how light works and what you can and cannot get away with. Do lots of experimenting, do some research, there is so much information out there that will help you.

Oct 06 12 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Tiara Seccombe wrote:

Would you mind providing some constructive criticism that I can actually use? Instead of just being an asshole?

Your work just brings it out in me I guess- but open your eyes- I mentioned bad styling and no story- thats' constructive criticism.  And you never said why you like them as I asked

Oct 06 12 11:17 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Haven't you already asked about these?

Oct 06 12 11:20 am Link

Photographer

T I A R A

J E W E T T wrote:
Some really good work there, just stick with single images.

Ignore the jerks.

Avoid cliche'd expressions.

Thanks. smile
Yeah I guess collages are not that great.

Oct 08 12 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

GMM Photography wrote:
Image 1
Dispite the popular consensus of people not liking collages, I think this is a good concept and well executed. Being able to show the models range of expresions and emotions is well done. It could be the laptop that I am on atm, but the photo quality seems to be off just a little. Personally I feel an image like this is better suited for the models portfolio, picking the best image and using that one in yours.

Image 2
I am not a fan of blown out highlights or over exposed images. The model looks as though she is completely not comortable having her photo taken.  This location and model had so much potential but poorly executed. Once again the image quality is poor. This is probably the one image in your port that probably should not be there.

Image 3
This one I am on the fence about. As stated before I am ok with collages, but perhaps this would have been better if it showed some sort of storyline. I love the image in the middle but it just doesn't fit with the other two. I would suggest that you do some research on triptych to understand the flow that can be created when doing this type of post work. Once again the highlights are blown out. You might want to concider changing the time of day that you shoot and avoid the midday sun.

Image 4
This image is so simlar to 3 that the above critique applies to this one as well. The left side, watch your cropping. Its better to capture the model without missing appendages and crop later. The right side is just somewhat bland. The pose is not interesting and once again this has so much potential but it falls flat.

In my opinion your on the right track but first and foremost you need to understand how light works and what you can and cannot get away with. Do lots of experimenting, do some research, there is so much information out there that will help you.

Thank you for the really helpful advice. Now this is something I can actually use!

Oct 08 12 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

Mark wrote:

Your work just brings it out in me I guess- but open your eyes- I mentioned bad styling and no story- thats' constructive criticism.  And you never said why you like them as I asked

Again, I asked for constructive criticism on MY work and if you look, you can see that I am a photographer, not a stylist.
The story, well you made your point on that one, but why waste both our time with all your other comments that are in no way useful or helpful.

Oct 08 12 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

T I A R A

William Kious wrote:
Haven't you already asked about these?

No. This is the first and only forum I have started.

Oct 08 12 06:43 pm Link