Forums > Photography Talk > Shooting in a bar/nightclub/restaurant during day?

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

Santa Barbara, California, US

Just wondering if anyone has done many shoots inside a bar or restaurant in the middle of the day when maybe no one is in there.  There's lots of bars around here that open up in the late morning and on weekend mornings when its not football season, they are virtually empty until mid afternoon.  I think a bar would be a great place to do a shoot, with pool tables, the bar itself, tables, booths, etc.  Have you approached whoever's inside bartending and asked them if they'd mind you using it for an hour or so when there's not many people in there?  Have you offered to pay?  Or did you set it up well ahead of time by calling the manager/owner?

Aug 18 05 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Zack Pelka

Chicago, Illinois, US

This is a great question. One of my friends in the Chicago land area does a LOT of promotions, modeling and fashion design and fashions shows. She knows a LOT of club owners and the. She's offered to me that I could shoot at some of them.

One of the ways that she said you (me/photographer) could negotiate and work at it is to talk to the manager or that early in the night or late afternoon, and let him know what you are thinking about shooting. Sometimes you could offer to include some shots for them for promotional use and or mention and give credit to the location. If that doesn't entice them, you could always throw an offer of a small amount of cash for the hour(s)...

Aug 18 05 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

I've been lucky enough to find some interesting locations, and usually I'll just get a business card from the bartender or such. I might even ask if the manager is around. But usually, I'll try to call or stop by during a slow time. I'll bring some work to show them as well as some ideas. I've only had one place say no (the establishment was part of a large chain and could not have their image used without permission from a much higher office). All the others usually just gave me a name and number to call and asked me to let that person know a day or two ahead.

As long as you show a professional image, aren't bringing tons of equipment (bring 1 or two lights and a reflector, along with an assistant if that's how you're shooting), and if they offer you something from the bar, offer to pay or at least give them a good tip. Lastly, make sure you clean up anything that you disturbed.

Marc Stevenson
Union City Photographics

Aug 18 05 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

San Diego, California, US

I'm the Entertainment Director for a 6,000 sq ft Country  Bar/Rest.  I have shot in the club a few times.... The cieling is too low over the bar for the whole Coyote Ugly thing... Bummmmer

Aug 18 05 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

George Diego Photo

Leander, Texas, US

I always look out for places that just opened up. Most of the time they are more than happy for me to bring over a few models and shoot until business picks up. It also makes for some interesting contacts.

I usually offer the pics for promo, which works well for everyone (tear sheets, etc)

-George

Aug 18 05 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

Yeah, I wouldn't be bringing much in terms of equipment... just myself and two portable flashes on stands, so I doubt that'd be a problem.  Would be a lot of fun to try a location like a rustic bar with a nice long, flat bartop to use!

Aug 18 05 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

The designer of this gown is friends with the owner of this bar.  It's amazing how many regulars are there at 11 am, and how upset they get when they are asked to move...even by this model:

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050804/1/42f1b4bd8d541_m.jpg

Aug 18 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

I've shot in about 20 nightclubs in Southern California (LA, OC, SD), but who's counting?  You have to speak with the general manager.  He makes all the last decisions.  It's easy for me to book clubs, since I'm a nightclub promoter and all.  Where were you planning on shooting?

Aug 18 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Yes I have.  I go and talk with the owner and ask him or her if I can shoot at their bar. I tell them what we will be shooting and I do tell them we would be doing some nudes.  Once I mention nude I usually get the ok to shoot there.

I have had them close off the bar while we are shooting. 

I shot in a pool hall one time and they let us come in before they opened up the place.  Nudes on the pool tables were not a problem.

All they can say is NO.  But they usually say yes once they find out and can watch that a nude model will be there.  Just some of my observations over the years.  bs

Aug 19 05 07:31 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have set up 2 photo shoots at bars, offer them a few 8x10s that they can post on the walls in maybe there VIP section

Pearl
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/__hr_swiig11.jpg

Metro
https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/ssg54/DSC_2716ed_small.jpg

Aug 19 05 07:50 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

I found tons of places to shoot in public places....first I would get to know the owners and tell them what I am doing....look at my port of the Diner Series.....it turned into a shoot for the model, then I used it for stock image and the cafe used it for local ad. So do all the communications needed to get into places...make sure you have a signed property release & keep tons of models release if you have people in the shadows....

Aug 19 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

ucsbgaucho

Visual, I'm up here in Santa Barbara, where there's plenty of bars within a few blocks of each other... its kind of like a mini Gaslamp, which is cool.  I guess I'll just have to schedule a model in the late morning and go see who will be ok with it!

Aug 19 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

From what I've read ^^ and my own experience, it really just comes down to talking to the right person and shooting at the right time.

Most bar patrons do not like to be photographed, however the managers/owners see promotion and that sells drinks.

I've had a few bar managers ask me to keep it in a certain area or only come in at a certain time, but never a flat refusal.

Another place that's great to shoot is a Fire station.

Every time I've shot a model in a firehouse the firemen welcome us with open arms and are more than helpful.

Of course you're dealing with 9 guys who live, eat and work with each other on 48 hour shifts.

So the idea of a babe model posing on one of their fire trucks in their fire coats gives a whole new meaning to the term "fire pole"  wink

Aug 19 05 11:06 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Delete

Aug 20 05 12:27 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

ucsbgaucho wrote:
Visual, I'm up here in Santa Barbara, where there's plenty of bars within a few blocks of each other... its kind of like a mini Gaslamp, which is cool.  I guess I'll just have to schedule a model in the late morning and go see who will be ok with it!

Lots of clubs / bars don't open until night.  Lots are also closed from Mon - Thurs.  Some clubs do charge for usage of the venue.  Clubs are always down to let you shoot for free for the right promotions.  Some clubs I've shot while they were open, as long as we don't cause any ruckus.  We always get free drinks.  Free drinks are great!  10 of the shots posted on my profile are from different nightclubs.  Bars don't have general managers.  For nightclubs, general managers handle everything.  All clubs I've booked, I've booked through a simple email.

Aug 20 05 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

having spent a few years of my life working in the Locations department on movies and tv shows in NY. . .

Some people will let you do it for free, some will want money, some will tell you to go F yourself.

If you plan on publishing the images- make sure you get permission, preferably in writing (a location release) from the person who is authorized to give you permission.  Generally this is the owner of the business or property, but the manager will do if he/she is authorized to make such commitments.  Shoot the wrong place w.o permission and publish it and you will end up in a lawsuit.

Aug 23 05 03:00 am Link