Forums > Photography Talk > How does effect you when a model ....

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

posts poor quality photos of herself in her profile ?  Do you see past the poor quality of the photo to what she looks like ? Or do you figure that if she doesn't know what goes into a good photograph, how can she pose for one ?

If most of the shots are of bad quality I pass on the model.  I just don't have any confidence in a model that doesn't know enough about what's she doing to figure out her photos are bad.  And I am not willing to spend the extra time in correcting every little thing she is doing wrong while we're shooting.

Oct 03 12 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

I have confidence in myself. So no, bad photos in a port do not concern me (except my own). Only her look does.

Oct 03 12 08:30 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I would agree, unless she just joined I pass.  It's also easy to put a fair amount of money into a shoot for your book, I never like to risk it, there are far too many choices available to do so.

Oct 03 12 08:31 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

It tells me that they need to work with a professional and not just a GWC.

Oct 03 12 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Nick Peluffo

Brooklyn, New York, US

Some models have the look and posing but just haven't gotten quality images so I couldn't generalize.

Oct 03 12 08:39 am Link

Photographer

none11

Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada

Dan K Photography wrote:
I have confidence in myself. So no, bad photos in a port do not concern me (except my own). Only her look does.

Exactly my thoughts:)

Oct 03 12 08:45 am Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

Many newbies do not know how to judge whether a photo is good or not.  I look past that and determine based on what I can read and see if I want to work with her.

Oct 03 12 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Joe Wow Photos

Dayton, Ohio, US

I agree... I have cancelled on a model because her portfolio was just awful.. or more specifically because her portfolio got Way Worse after I started talking to her.  I assume if they are That Far Off Base from what I would liek to accomplish, then why waste my time?

Oct 03 12 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
posts poor quality photos of herself in her profile ?  Do you see past the poor quality of the photo to what she looks like ? Or do you figure that if she doesn't know what goes into a good photograph, how can she pose for one ?

If most of the shots are of bad quality I pass on the model.  I just don't have any confidence in a model that doesn't know enough about what's she doing to figure out her photos are bad.  And I am not willing to spend the extra time in correcting every little thing she is doing wrong while we're shooting.

when picasso paints your portrait, who is the artist?

i feel that in most circumstances (especially those photographers doing work for themselves) it's the photographer's job as the artist in charge to pose the model how he or she sees fit, according to their own artistic vision.

i've looked at plenty of portfolio's that i personally feel are "bad".  but usually i think to myself, "she's really pretty, she just needs great photos of herself that show how pretty she really is.".  then i message them about working together. it feels good to give a model photos that she really likes (and can use) and it's nice to see them use them in their portfolio, etc.

and i don't see it as "correcting" the model. no one likes to be "corrected".  what i do is guide them into the poses i want.  communication is the key.

hope that helps.

Oct 03 12 08:51 am Link

Photographer

RacerXPhoto

Brooklyn, New York, US

I will take a gamble You can find gold in the dumpster sometimes

Oct 03 12 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

You guys are looking at it all wrong. I see it as if she has such bad taste she may actually like what I produce.

Oct 03 12 08:54 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Dan K Photography wrote:

YUP.
+1

Oct 03 12 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Dan K Photography wrote:
You guys are looking at it all wrong. I see it as if she has such bad taste she may actually like what I produce.

Dan - quit the self-deprecating posts. You're work is artistically professional and very easy on the eye. If this happens again I'm having you drummed out of the MM Brownies.

OP - aye, ye can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear - but, then again, if you play enough golf you'll eventually find a diamond in the rough. smile

Oct 03 12 08:59 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

That depends on if they are new or coming back from a long break and need quality images or if they have been modeling for years and don't know what is good/bad ect... If they are new and have great potential why not help them out if it helps me as well. If they are coming back from a long break and have experience hey they could be great for my port.

If however, they have been modeling for a long time and don't have any quality images in their portfolio, then I'll assume that they don't know what they are doing and quote them a reasonable rate if they show interest in shooting with me. Sometimes I'll offer to help them get better if I think they have the potential and we could work something out that benefits us both.

All in all it's a case by case basis.

Oct 03 12 08:59 am Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

You think models are bad picking images you should see some editors I know. wink To be blunt at this point in time I feel a photographer being bother by this is inexperienced or naive or maybe both.

Oct 03 12 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Kung-Fu-Flavor

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Depends on how bad? Photos done in deliberate bad taste yeah goofy stuff I usually pass.
If it’s a photo that’s just not too high on basic likeable scale I see no problems with that.

Oct 03 12 09:05 am Link

Photographer

SoCo n Lime

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

you can see through the bad images if the model has a great look and stats to work with

a model needs direction no matter how much experience is under their belt or what their port looks like.

ive worked with experienced models that make life a breeze and ive worked with experienced models that where as difficult as trying to train a puppy to sit

the most rewarding for me and the models i prefer are the new face and in experienced (if they have a great look and take direction well that is) its like polishing a rough diamond

my best model experience to date was with a 15 year old girl who had been sent to me with her mum for her first test shoot (her first ever photoshoot by the way) as the agency wanted to try her on their books. i gave her a story/theme and example mood board to get the flavor of what i was looking for and gave her the option for interpretation. it may of helped with the background of drama but the confidence and with each move another great image appeared. not one image out of the whole series was the same. she has moved on to main board status and doing well for herself.. her younger sister has even more potential and is currently being developed

Oct 03 12 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Well, kinda depends. First, I'm here to test so there has to be some sort of mutual jive on aesthetic sensibilities. If she's showing a style of photo I hate and she seems to love, then forget it because it's just not going to work.

If she's showing photos that are newbie-ish, (subjective, I know. But let's assume we all know what we're talking about here.) then that might be different.

Oct 03 12 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Photo Visions

Cape Coral, Florida, US

If they are really horrible, or all cell phone pics, i will pass her and look else where. Unless i see a lot of potential.

I also look at their profile and what they have written.
Lots of new models write very demanding nonsense. ie, copies of all photos and end of shoot, $150.00 per hour, 3 hour min,etc.

Oct 03 12 09:25 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think people are missing some specifics.  To me a bad image that makes me pass is something over photoshoped, not something simple like bad composition, GWC, or cell phone shots. 

Its easy enough to look past that, but I would not risk a shoot an over processed image.  How can you be sure what the model really looks like

Oct 03 12 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

If most of the shots are of bad quality I pass on the llama.  I just don't have any confidence in a llama that doesn't know enough about what's she doing to figure out her photos are bad.  And I am not willing to spend the extra time in correcting every little thing she is doing wrong while we're shooting.

I overlook the poor photos.  Opportunity for me to be the "hero" of the portfolio if I decide to work with them. big_smile

Oct 03 12 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Dan K Photography wrote:

Man, you are way too tough on yourself. On the other hand your comment did make me look at your profile. Good going on both issues.

Oct 03 12 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Aaron - photographer

Falls Church, Virginia, US

If i let bad images affect my decision to work with a model, i'd never shoot.  I've worked with some models that have only self-portrait cell phone images and turned out some amazing (if i do say so myself) stuff.

Oct 07 12 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

I'm fine working with someone with just some camera photos up, provided that she has the right look.

Oct 07 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

SillyEddy

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

Every few months I go on a browse for models in the area... Some may be new, some may have changed their look or profile entirely.

When looking at the display picture, I really only have one requirement in the back of my head: "Is this a picture of them at their best, or were they let down?".

Sometimes the look might be great, but the photographer ruined it. Other times the photographer did a great job of making the model look like a person instead of a sack of potatoes (figuratively, of course. I love potatoes). I'll be more likely to look at a profile where they have no avatar versus a profile where they have a bad one. I can't make any guess about their look until I actually see something. Work ethic wise? They'll probably not be great though.

Sometimes new models will put up any old picture, and it doesn't even look like it was taken with photography in mind... More like the first thing they found on Facebook which shows what they look like. What makes it depressing is the number of comments about "great look" and "wow, great capture", and it was probably just their drunken friend taking a snapshot before a Halloween party.

But I add/fave those who look like they have potential. Hey, one day I might actually start working with models and become the photographer who I claim to be tongue

Oct 07 12 08:32 am Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

PTPhotoUT wrote:
It tells me that they need to work with a professional and not just a GWC.

Hey!!! I resent that!! :-)))))))))))))

Oct 07 12 08:40 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

Poor quality photos in a model's  port, or freaking awesome photos by WILDE (I hope I got that right, WILDE'S photos are in a class of their own), does not sway me one bit..

I can look at a model and immediately know if I would love to paint her, or must paint her!

Bad photos, good photos, I don't care, if the model sparks my creative thoughts going,,,I would hire her!

Oct 07 12 08:40 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I couldn't care less how well or poorly someone else shot her.  If she inspires me, I'm going to try to get her in front of my camera.

Oct 07 12 08:45 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I often like the snapshot a model has posted over heavily produced images by a MM "professional" photographer. Also, the model with mostly snaps or bad shots is more likely to actually reply and show up. So no, it doesn't put me off. Quite the opposite in fact. It also means the model hasn't learned any bad habits like what her best side is or how to pose for the glamor shooters that dominate this site. Unlearning is harder than learning and I am a director/photographer. I have the most trouble with models who can't hold still nor take directions than those that are new to all this.

Oct 07 12 08:55 am Link

Photographer

JSB Fine Art Photo

Frederick, Maryland, US

Nick Peluffo wrote:
Some llamas have the look and posing but just haven't gotten quality images so I couldn't generalize.

This.  I don't need a llama to know about photography.  That is my job.  If it is obvious she or he has the look I need and is rocking the poses and expressions in their shots, I won't hold poor lighting or composition against them.

Scott

Oct 07 12 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Kaouthia

Wishaw, Scotland, United Kingdom

posts poor quality photos of herself in her profile ?

It doesn't.

Oct 07 12 10:06 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

so long as i can tell what she looks like i'm good. one possible concern is if she only ever has one expression but sometimes that's just a matter of coaching them into a good performance.

Oct 07 12 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

I judge by what I can see of the model and her portfolio..  Then I do the photography that I set out to do..    Question?  How would you correct something someone else had done????

Oct 07 12 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

Kaouthia wrote:
It doesn't.

+1

you are only as good as your own worst photo.

Oct 07 12 10:26 am Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

It's not the llamas poor taste  in the images that they are posting of them self's that I care about. I look at the llama and try to visualize what I can do with the llama. Everyone has to start's some place. I have seen cell phone images were I wish I could work with that person.

Oct 07 12 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

It depends.

I've shot with models who had fairly new ports and mediocre images - when I saw potential there

If a model has been around a while and has only poor images that makes me a bit more reticent

If she has some good images but continues to post poor ones after that it is a complete turn off

Oct 07 12 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I guess if anything it would be the former. In fact, I often find a model with a great look but poor quality photos to be more appealing to work with than a model with hundreds of flawless images in the same genre.

There is certainly something to be said for fantastic images and it does tell me they make wise photographer decisions and know how to model. But the look of the model trumps the quality of the images for me.

Oct 07 12 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't need good quality images, but I do need enough to give me an idea about the llama's look.  I want to see her figure.  I want to see whether she has tattoos.  I want to see her face

Oct 07 12 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

To me a model with amateur / poor portfolio images mostly gets skipped over.

Often the images are so poor I just can't see really what the model is like.

And very commonly when a client asks me to find a model and pass along a few potentials it reflects really badly on me to pass across these really amateur images of models. I've done it in the past even with models I think are really good and exactly what the client wants, but the client has just instantly dismissed the model as an inexperienced amateur and complained at me for sending them.

So now I don't. I just skip over those models.

Paul.
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Oct 08 12 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

With a newbie model, the quality of the portfolio is not particularly important and I am mainly interested in finding evidence that she knows how to hold herself. 

If she has been around a while and the portfolio is poor, I take it as a sign that she is either not serious about modelling or sufficiently difficult to work with that none of the photographers she has worked with so far have had any success with her, so I pass her by.

Oct 08 12 05:01 am Link