Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Freelancing for MAC and Pay?

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Kerri

San Francisco, California, US

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know how much MAC pays thier Freelance Artists?  I'm interested in Freelancers not counter/retail sales rates.  Thanks!

Oct 04 12 04:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

R Roberts

Los Angeles, California, US

When I went through my interview for MAC as a freelancer, the recruiter mentioned $18 an hour. Idk if that's standard throughout the company or just for the area I'm in, but that's what I was quoted.

Oct 04 12 11:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Crystal Rose Make up

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I've done a bit of freelance work for them and they paid me my set rate.

I think this is how it should work unless I am missing something.

Oct 05 12 01:04 am Link

Model

Shengmii Shirley

Austin, Texas, US

$14/hr for freelance. i'm a new hire.

Oct 10 12 08:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

Princeton, New Jersey, US

$20 hour for me from day one.

Oct 15 12 08:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Slaughter

Denver, Colorado, US

Really,  it depends on your region and what you bring to the table as far as experience. In our contracts it states that we're not to discuss our pay, but they pay very well and are more than accommodating when it comes to compensation smile

And on top of the money, they're an incredible company to work for. They take damn good care of their employees, both permanent and freelance!

Oct 16 12 11:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

kelli zehnder

Los Angeles, California, US

I made $20 per hour as freelance and $18 per hour as an employee 10 years ago.

Oct 22 12 08:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Summer Johnson

Lancaster, California, US

They told me $15 an hour was the going rate in San Antonio at my interview. I stuck with YSL and Laura Mercier, they paid a lot more.

Oct 23 12 03:10 am Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

MAC doesnt have freelancers per se. They have retail staff who get invited to freelance for them if the politics and ass kissin are right. Expect under 20 to start. Expect to wait a long time for a call.

Oct 24 12 11:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

FacesByNiki

Germantown, Maryland, US

Davis W wrote:
MAC doesnt have freelancers per se. They have retail staff who get invited to freelance for them if the politics and ass kissin are right. Expect under 20 to start. Expect to wait a long time for a call.

That's not true, at least in my area. I am a current 'freelancer' for MAC and get called in all the time.

Oct 24 12 11:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

Brittany Slaughter

Denver, Colorado, US

Davis W wrote:

MAC doooes actually have freelancers "per se" and politics and ass kissing arent involved at all. You're paid based on region, experience, and knowledge...just like any other position. And If you're good, they'll call you A LOT.

Oct 24 12 12:59 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Davis W wrote:

Since MAC sponsors a huge amount of fashion shows in the GTA alone I beg to differ...
I have the reference letters to prove that unless... They discontinued that policy since '09...

Oct 24 12 01:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nonsense. There are no freelance MAC gigs here. I dont know where you get your information. They slug away in retail stores for 15 to 20 bucks an hour.

Oct 28 12 10:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JFord Creations Makeup

Hinesville, Georgia, US

What's the difference between working the counter and being a freelance artist?

Oct 29 12 03:18 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Davis W wrote:
Nonsense. There are no freelance MAC gigs here. I dont know where you get your information. They slug away in retail stores for 15 to 20 bucks an hour.

#3507 361 Front St W M5V 3R5  - my address before I got a better working situation and moved here 9 September 2008.
This has inspired me to make a few calls now to see if the world of the M5V has truly changed that much since I left...  Does MUFE now handle all of the shows or something?  It used to be a fair split between the two.

Oct 29 12 05:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

Davis W wrote:

I have no clue what you are talking about and unsure why you are so stuck on your opinion only and not considering the many others of us who are legit telling you that your experience is NOT the norm.
Perhaps Canada is different however, I suspect it is only your experience . In the US they rely on freelancers for all events and call outs, period thee end.

Oct 29 12 10:42 am Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

JFord Creations Makeup  wrote:
What's the difference between working the counter and being a freelance artist?

In short:
Counter= you have set hours each week, you have $ goals and tasks you must reach to keep your position. 

Freelance=they call you when they need you.  You may get called 5x in one week or may not be called for 12 weeks.  So, if you freelance with a company make sure they put you on the freelance call list so that other counters/stores can request your services and not just that one counter.

I freelance only (Dior and Mac) I do not want the hassle of counter goals and such but I am lucky that I don't have to earn a specific amount of money at this time to live.  If I did, I'd most likely have to work a counter for sure or at least work my freelancing gigs more.
Side note:
I personally will not promote my makeup artistry services until I have mentored under a professional.  I know this is always a sore spot with some as they just come out of "school" and think they are ready for a bridal party of 12.  I find great value in apprenticing/mentoring and am looking to shadow a true pro for at least 6 months-1year before I feel I can proudly proclaim that I am a professional MUA's for hire.

Oct 29 12 10:54 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Ok to put this to rest I made a phone call to both MAC on Queen W. & MAC Bloor and got the same responses (as I knew I would)...
Their policy is to bring in MAC affiliated artists who have been certified to represent the brand at events of any sort. They do not run an ad for random event help or anything like that. Also, they surely do still host events and sponsor or partner for events the same as when I lived there and worked with their team at events.

So I have no idea how Davis arrives at his passionate commitment to the contrary but things are as they were when I left!  It's a group you have to pay some dues to belong to if that's your passion to do so but in the GTA they are a fun group to work along side of smile

Oct 29 12 02:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TorontoMakeupArtist

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Davis W wrote:

I just came home from a MAC freelance job. I'm being paid over $27/hr. That's more than I feel is appropriate to post. (I'm so embarrassed that I'm shying away from posting what a company is paying me. I have no trouble talking about my rates but when I'm working for others, I feel strange revealing it).

I'm not a MAC artist, I've never worked in their stores - strictly freelance. But they do most certainly have freelance jobs in the city and send out more than those who work in their stores.

Oct 30 12 02:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

TorontoMakeupArtist

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Angel Graves wrote:

#3507 361 Front St W M5V 3R5  - my address before I got a better working situation and moved here 9 September 2008.
This has inspired me to make a few calls now to see if the world of the M5V has truly changed that much since I left...  Does MUFE now handle all of the shows or something?  It used to be a fair split between the two.

Fashion week has Maybelline backing it I believe - most of the shows that I have seen come out of last week had Grace Lee as the key and she is head of Maybelline.  I could be wrong though.

Also, MAC will totally take any freelance job. I work weddings where I'm doing hair and the makeup artist has been hired through MAC.

Oct 30 12 03:02 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Ashley Readings wrote:

Fashion week has Maybelline backing it I believe - most of the shows that I have seen come out of last week had Grace Lee as the key and she is head of Maybelline.  I could be wrong though.

Also, MAC will totally take any freelance job. I work weddings where I'm doing hair and the makeup artist has been hired through MAC.

Ashley!
I'm glad you're still around the GTA! I was startinting to think I was really getting out of the loop being down here!
I heard Grace was keying 'a lot' but since I've been busy down here I stopped getting the invite wink  I'm glad to hear such a commercial powerhouse is in fashion week, it lends much to the people showing there.
Good to hear you're still working away at it smile

Oct 30 12 03:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

JFord Creations Makeup

Hinesville, Georgia, US

Dani Jaye MUA wrote:

In short:
Counter= you have set hours each week, you have $ goals and tasks you must reach to keep your position. 

Freelance=they call you when they need you.  You may get called 5x in one week or may not be called for 12 weeks.  So, if you freelance with a company make sure they put you on the freelance call list so that other counters/stores can request your services and not just that one counter.

I freelance only (Dior and Mac) I do not want the hassle of counter goals and such but I am lucky that I don't have to earn a specific amount of money at this time to live.  If I did, I'd most likely have to work a counter for sure or at least work my freelancing gigs more.
Side note:
I personally will not promote my makeup artistry services until I have mentored under a professional.  I know this is always a sore spot with some as they just come out of "school" and think they are ready for a bridal party of 12.  I find great value in apprenticing/mentoring and am looking to shadow a true pro for at least 6 months-1year before I feel I can proudly proclaim that I am a professional MUA's for hire.

Thank you for the reply! How did you get into freelancing. Did you do it through applying at the counter as a freelance or do you have agency representation?

Oct 31 12 12:11 am Link

Makeup Artist

Alexi Sage

Spokane, Washington, US

I'm a MAC freelancer in WA and have hardly gotten any calls over the course of three years. Last month I went in and had a talk with a local manager and she explained that MAC has an allotted amount of hours they can delegate between their freelance artists. In recent years due to budget cuts the company cut freelancing hours nearly in half, meaning they can't call people as often as they used to. Combine that with seniority of freelancers and it could explain why some areas are busier than others.

Nov 04 12 06:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Makeup by Kerri

San Francisco, California, US

Thank you everyone for the information!  It was exactly the type of info I needed. And thank you very much to those who posted thier actually rate, it is always helpful to understand the market rates in different areas! Cheers!

Nov 20 12 03:15 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Davis W

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have no idea what you are talking about Ashley. I spoke to a half dozen MAC counter managers and the story is, they have an abundance of MAC artists waiting for such an opportunity, who have been with them for many years. They do not hire outside freelancers.

Maybe we are on two different planets. MAC brings their own to events and they have many waiting in que for an opportunity. But if the OP still wishes to dream of being someone so amazing that MAC will ignore hundreds of their own trained staff and focus on her skills, more power to her.

Personally I think its more likely to see snow in July. But if you want the fantasy, enjoy it.

Nov 23 12 11:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

JFord Creations Makeup  wrote:

Thank you for the reply! How did you get into freelancing. Did you do it through applying at the counter as a freelance or do you have agency representation?

I did apply at the counter.  I became friendly with the counter staff over time which surely helped me vs a random app.  When you show up for an application or to inquire, be sure you are dressed in MAC black (all black and only metal jewelry, no resins or plastics). Eyeliner needs to be clean.  Must be very happy and friendly.  I know 2 managers that only hire staff that basically beg and or cry for the job!  Extreme yes but They seriously want people who really really want to be there.

Nov 24 12 05:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

TorontoMakeupArtist

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To the OP, I merely stated a rough estimate of what I'm paid by MAC. I did not mean to imply that they have plentiful jobs and would hire everyone and that you would work for them tons.

If you were to ask my advice on whether you should count on freelance work for MAC (though I realise you didn't ask that so feel free to skip my opinion!) I would tell you that personally, I focus on booking my own work and when work from a brand comes up, it's a nice change of pace but it's also a change of rate and I'd rather book jobs where it goes all to me!

Davis,  all I know is my specific encounter with MAC as a freelancer. I would guess that their counter artists are not all trained for television work. They work at a counter or at events. I was working for an organization that regularly works with MAC and for this job they needed an artist who worked in television and MAC called me. Maybe their MAC freelancers who have television experience were busy. Maybe they just think I'm as awesome as my mum thinks I am. Probably the former. Either way, that's how I specifically was booked.

At no point did I imply that they had a ton of jobs available and were regularly hiring freelancers. Just wanted to state that they did hire freelancers, and I was one of them and for (roughly) how much.

Nov 24 12 07:48 am Link

Hair Stylist

Angel Graves

Davis W wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about Ashley. I spoke to a half dozen MAC counter managers and the story is, they have an abundance of MAC artists waiting for such an opportunity, who have been with them for many years. They do not hire outside freelancers.

Maybe we are on two different planets. MAC brings their own to events and they have many waiting in que for an opportunity. But if the OP still wishes to dream of being someone so amazing that MAC will ignore hundreds of their own trained staff and focus on her skills, more power to her.

Personally I think its more likely to see snow in July. But if you want the fantasy, enjoy it.

Lol go to my facebook page and open the album 4th of July in my photos.... That is snow 20 mins from my house on 4th of July the first year I was here lol so there you go wink

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= … 317&type=3

Nov 24 12 08:43 am Link