Forums > Photography Talk > using ring light for the first time... REDEYE!!!

Photographer

sultanphotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ok, using my first profoto gear ever... the Acute ring light.. feels awesome but one problem while testing with my 10 year old daughter before my shoot tomorrow (and yes she is pretty much blinded and can only see rings everywhere... sorry)... she has major redeye when i shot her straight on... is that a typical issue? any advice?

Oct 06 12 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Pembroke Pines, Florida, US

hmmm idk i shot with a ring light and didnt have that problem eh nvm it was a 3 light set up .. but yeah no red eyes for me

Oct 06 12 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Howick Image Studio

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Shooting with ring light only, without modelling light, in an otherwise dark room?  The model's eyes will dilate fully and increase the risk of red eye.  Using the modelling light causes the model's eyes to adjust and, in my experience, pretty much eliminates the problem.

Oct 06 12 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Yup, normal. Blue eyes are the worst.

Turn up the ambient.

Oct 06 12 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

... don't think I've ever seen red-eye problem with ring-light... seems kinda weird unless their pupils seem high as a kite during shooting.

I'm gona have to agree with what others said here, and that you may need to step up the ambient light to cause the pupils to stay smaller.

Oct 07 12 12:13 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

If using flash on-axis then red-eye is a normal problem. Some people are more susceptible to it than others and some people work in brighter environments than others. When I use my ringflash I get that problem quite often when the ambient is quite a notch down from the flash. Something I forgot when I decided to change my lighting for a Prom once and had a lot of red-eyes to tidy up. At least I was not printing on-site at that one !

Whilst mine is also a powerpack version it is only 600w/s at max and at 1/8 power it can still be uncomfortable from about 10' for some people. If using a 'macro flash' or speedlight modifier version then the red-eye reduction setting on the camera/flash should still be of benefit.

Oct 07 12 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

With every other light modifier I prefer to shoot in a dark studio so I can better evaluate the fall of my lights -

with the ring light I recommend shooting in a daylight level environment, for this very reason....

Oct 07 12 02:28 am Link

Photographer

sultanphotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Howick Image Studio wrote:
Shooting with ring light only, without modelling light, in an otherwise dark room?  The model's eyes will dilate fully and increase the risk of red eye.  Using the modelling light causes the model's eyes to adjust and, in my experience, pretty much eliminates the problem.

Profoto D4 accute has no modeling light. maybe I have a LED light with me

Oct 07 12 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Howick Image Studio

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

sultanphotography wrote:

Profoto D4 accute has no modeling light. maybe I have a LED light with me

Didn't know that.  I suppose I should have pointed that out as another plus for the PCB unit in your earlier thread.

Oct 07 12 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Bill Sylvester

Fairfield, Ohio, US

Howick Image Studio wrote:

Didn't know that.  I suppose I should have pointed that out as another plus for the PCB unit in your earlier thread.

The ProRing2 has a modeling light, but the Acute ring does not.

I didn't know Acute would work on a D4 generator.

Oct 07 12 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Gran Via 536

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

please post your results from the shoot you do tomorrow, as I would love to see how you use the ring light.

I am thinking of selling mine, as I´m not really loving the results I´m getting using it as a flash fill, and want to see other possible ways to use it.

Oct 08 12 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Um, hey folks, I just wanted to point out the hazards here of using a bright flash in dark conditions where your model is looking right into the light, as they likely would be with a ringlight, and especially if they are young kids, who would likely look at the photographer as a normal matter of course.

The hazard here is that a powerful flash under those conditions is capable of giving someone a first or second degree burn of the retina. I've a photographer friend who did that to himself, and it took a couple of the most miserable weeks he's ever spent before his sight recovered. No, he wasn't photographing himself, he just test-fired a new (to him) AB800. And yes, he is VERY careful now about what power level he uses and the direction he has models look as well as how bright ambient is.

Oct 08 12 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

That is a feature not a problem.

Was a desired feature in the 70's

Oct 08 12 12:26 pm Link