Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Need help! Which makeup are the best for shoots?

Model

Vivian Vega

Pasadena, Texas, US

So I will be honest when ever I have a shoot I always book a makeup artist because they know what they are doing. I have never had a bad experience with a make up artist before. But I would really like to know what make up brands would be be best and how to apply it and with what brushes.
I normally use bare minerals for my foundation, eye brows, and blush.
I admit I am makeup challenged right now heh so I would really appreciate
any help!

Oct 06 12 10:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Why don't you contact a makeup artist who you have worked with whose work you like and ask if you can hire her/him for a private lesson? That way you get product recommendations specific to your skin type and coloring and a lesson tailored to your specific needs.

Oct 07 12 12:05 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lauren Reynolds Makeup

London, England, United Kingdom

This is a HUGE subject and you'll never learn what you need over message boards - it's a practical skill after all! I second Denise above and say get a private lesson with a local MUA, who can recommend good products for YOU since this is so variable between every person. And hire an MUA who works in print make-up and they can tailor your lesson for photography.

Have a look at Kevyn Aucoin's book 'Making Faces' too. Some of the looks and methods are a bit dated now, but it goes over lots of basic techniques in much more detail than other books and is a brilliant resource. Practice like crazy! smile

Oct 07 12 03:10 pm Link