Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > very, very new kid stylist looking for advice.

Model

Angeli Li

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm 17, trying to get into FIT/Parsons for Fashion Design studies (big dreams, I know). I think starting out as a stylist would be the right choice(?) but I don't know which direction should I go in that would help me succeed in getting a spot in my dream schools. I try to incorporate my own designs into my styling, which is very hard, because, well, I make my stuff according to me, so it's not a general size. Right now I'm headed towards high fashion styling after (and I know I'm wrong) I felt that street fashion styling is not the most glam looking... I don't even have enough wardrobe supply, yet I can't buy great clothes because I'm still a student that doesn't have much. Any advice will do and will be much appreciated!

Oct 08 12 02:23 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I did a year of fashion design here, and now I'm starting to do some styling

they're very different things. I'd say if your goal is to get into design: practise as much on designing as possible and let that be your main focus. if it's styling, then do that. but keep a focus smile

Oct 08 12 02:25 am Link

Model

Angeli Li

Anna Adrielle wrote:
I did a year of fashion design here, and now I'm starting to do some styling

they're very different things. I'd say if your goal is to get into design: practise as much on designing as possible and let that be your main focus. if it's styling, then do that. but keep a focus smile

Thank you!

Oct 08 12 05:02 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SD Makeup Artisty

Hicksville, New York, US

Angelee Li wrote:
I'm 17, trying to get into FIT/Parsons for Fashion Design studies (big dreams, I know). I think starting out as a stylist would be the right choice(?) but I don't know which direction should I go in that would help me succeed in getting a spot in my dream schools. I try to incorporate my own designs into my styling, which is very hard, because, well, I make my stuff according to me, so it's not a general size. Right now I'm headed towards high fashion styling after (and I know I'm wrong) I felt that street fashion styling is not the most glam looking... I don't even have enough wardrobe supply, yet I can't buy great clothes because I'm still a student that doesn't have much. Any advice will do and will be much appreciated!

Not really helpful at all, but I'm also trying to go to FIT lol.  But for Advertising and Marketing Communications.  It's such a competitive school, I didn't get in the first time I applied, and I just applied again last week.

Again, I'm no professional, but I feel like anything fashion related is a great benefit in any kind of fashion design program.  You need to learn how to mix patterns and textures and make different body types look good... which I feel you probably learn a lot about when styling.

Good luck!

Oct 08 12 06:16 pm Link

Model

Angeli Li

SD Makeup Artisty wrote:

Not really helpful at all, but I'm also trying to go to FIT lol.  But for Advertising and Marketing Communications.  It's such a competitive school, I didn't get in the first time I applied, and I just applied again last week.

Again, I'm no professional, but I feel like anything fashion related is a great benefit in any kind of fashion design program.  You need to learn how to mix patterns and textures and make different body types look good... which I feel you probably learn a lot about when styling.

Good luck!

Good luck to you too! Hope we see each other around NY next year!

Oct 11 12 01:37 am Link