Forums > Photography Talk > D800 & Nikon File Transfer / CS6 compatability

Photographer

Richard Nolan

London, England, United Kingdom

I have a D800, did a shoot, and then transferred the files with Nikon File Transfer (NFT).  I tried opening the images in CS6.  No they did not open.  I did the CS6 update and still no joy.  I went to Adobe technical help.  Long story short they told me  that NFT slightly changes the files in transfer and that I should use a card reader.  To save you the hassle of this read here.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4544143?tstart=30

My question is this.  Having already used NFT, is there a way I can get the files so that they are readable by CS6?  I was thinking using NX2 to open, then save as, perhaps in a different file type.  etc.  I have not yet spoken to Nikon as they are not yet open in my time zone.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Oct 08 12 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Gulag

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nikon Transfer sucks big time when it comes to file copy speed regardless of what cameras you use. IMHO Photo Mechanic is the best when comes down to editing speed and file transfer speeding. And I have had no issues with my D800 and D800E using PhotoMechanic.

Oct 08 12 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

mshi wrote:
Nikon Transfer sucks big time when it comes to file copy speed regardless of what cameras you use. IMHO Photo Mechanic is the best when comes down to editing speed and file transfer speeding. And I have had no issues with my D800 and D800E using PhotoMechanic.

Aint that the truth.

Can anyone explain to me why it would take over 30 minutes to transfer 30GB of data over USB2.0?  And there's obviously something up with my USB3.0 ports because I don't get any speed advantage using the USB3.0 transfer directly from the camera.

A little frustrating, but I'm sure I'll figure it out one day.

Oct 08 12 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

mshi wrote:

Photo mechanic or a card reader might do it in the future, but any thoughts on what to do with the files I have DL with NFT?  I tried save as and no joy. Even NX2 could not re save as a nef.  It will save as a tif though but then I loose 90% of the file size.

Oct 08 12 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Gulag

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Richard Nolan wrote:
Photo mechanic or a card reader might do it in the future, but any thoughts on what to do with the files I have DL with NFT?  I tried save as and no joy. Even NX2 could not re save as a nef.  It will save as a tif though but then I loose 90% of the file size.

I use Windows so I can't answer your question if you use Apple. But, I have no problems at all copying images from D800/D800E directly using USB cables. What I do is to simply copy the file folder on camera to hard disk using Windows OS. And it works everytime but I prefer card reader instead.

Oct 08 12 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

What I am really looking for is a solution for those files I have already DL via NFT.  I get the idea of getting a card reader. 

Thanks

Oct 08 12 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

PTFPhoto

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Richard Nolan wrote:
What I am really looking for is a solution for those files I have already DL via NFT.  I get the idea of getting a card reader. 

Thanks

If you don't mind having your RAW files in a different format, then converting them to DNG might do the trick.  Adobe makes a dedicated tool for this, but I don't know if it will work based on what you've done.  I don't use NFT and never have.  I know you said you did the CS6 update.  Does that update to the latest Adobe Camera Raw?  if so you would have support for the D600, so check that.  I think it's versioned at 7.2 for ACR.

Oct 09 12 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Richard Nolan wrote:
I have a D800, did a shoot, and then transferred the files with Nikon File Transfer (NFT).  I tried opening the images in CS6.  No they did not open.  I did the CS6 update and still no joy.  I went to Adobe technical help.  Long story short they told me  that NFT slightly changes the files in transfer and that I should use a card reader.  To save you the hassle of this read here.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4544143?tstart=30

My question is this.  Having already used NFT, is there a way I can get the files so that they are readable by CS6?  I was thinking using NX2 to open, then save as, perhaps in a different file type.  etc.  I have not yet spoken to Nikon as they are not yet open in my time zone.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I hate to be this bold...maybe this is true for the D800 and maybe NFT is different from just Nikon Transfer, but I can't help but think they are bullshitting you.

I use Nikon Transfer for my D300 files and they open up in ACR for CS4 just fine.

My experience, however, is with Windows.

Oct 09 12 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Richard Nolan wrote:

If Capture NX2 can open the files but not save as a new NEF...something else is going on with your system.

I have CS6 on a Mac at work if you want to send me an NEF to see if I can open and resave. I have Capture NX2 at work as well.

Oct 09 12 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

Thanks

If you don't mind having your RAW files in a different format, then converting them to DNG might do the trick.  Adobe makes a dedicated tool for this, but I don't know if it will work based on what you've done.  I don't use NFT and never have.  I know you said you did the CS6 update.  Does that update to the latest Adobe Camera Raw?  if so you would have support for the D600, so check that.  I think it's versioned at 7.2 for ACR.

Thanks for the idea, but no joy.

Just ran the DNG converter.  Nothing I have shot on the D800 but passed through NFT worked with the converter.  A file shot on the D700 and run through NFT worked fine.  So, it seems like the Nikon File Transfer is really messing up my images from the D800.

Whats worse is that Capture NX2 will not even save a file from the D800.  I can open it there, edit there but I cannot save it as a NEF or RAW.

Nikon opens in 20 min and it will not be a pleasant call.

Oct 09 12 12:40 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom

PTFPhoto wrote:
If you don't mind having your RAW files in a different format, then converting them to DNG might do the trick.

DNG is oft mentioned here and very seldom responded to very well simply because it is not a suitable option for many due to issues that arise, including the added time to convert the files.

Oct 09 12 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

Solution

I called Nikon.  they said check the meta data of the image and it was 1628 x 1080 pixels.  He then told me the file is corrupted.  Nikon File Transfer was updated for the D800, 800E and D4 to accommodate the larger files.

If you are going to use Nikon File Transfer do this.

Uninstall Nikon Viewer and Nikon File Transfer (Usually bundled so uninstalling Nikon Viewer should do it)
go to Nikon.co.uk
go to service & support
go to support and down loads
software downloads tab
Find the most upto date ViewNX for your OS.  Oct 9 I see 2.5.0 Full version for Mac and 2.5.1 for windows.

Install.

Worked for me

There is also a way to recover full size JPGs from the last files I shot.  Working on that now and will report.

Oct 09 12 01:43 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Richard Nolan wrote:
Whats worse is that Capture NX2 will not even save a file from the D800.  I can open it there, edit there but I cannot save it as a NEF or RAW

To me that confirms that something is happening at your end of things. CNX2 was updated for the D800/E/4 long before the cameras were released on the market. If there was a general problem there then it would have been reported and, knowing Nikon's update turnaround, corrected.

Oct 09 12 01:45 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

mshi wrote:
Nikon Transfer sucks big time when it comes to file copy speed regardless of what cameras you use.

My computer has just finished transferring via USB2 about 40Gb of image files from a show last night, including re-naming, tagging, updating IPTC data and backing up a second copy of the files to an external hard drive in its usual quick time. Oh yes, I use Nikon Transfer, do not have any issue with its speed in use or any file opening problems. Maybe that is because I am not just copying the files but also backing them up and getting in the data that I need to be embedded. I know that will take longer than just copying the files but I also know that I need to do it. Having my 'phone number, e-mail and web address embedded in the file along with general key words for the session is something that a little longer on transfer is worth it.

Oct 09 12 01:55 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Richard Nolan wrote:
I went to Adobe technical help.  Long story short they told me  that NFT slightly changes the files in transfer and that I should use a card reader.

Christopher Hartman wrote:
I hate to be this bold...maybe this is true for the D800 and maybe NFT is different from just Nikon Transfer, but I can't help but think they are ............... you.

Completely agree Chris. The only file changes that will be made are to the embedded 'sidecar' - IPTC data etc. These are under the user control. If you deselect these then no file changes will be made.

I have never had a problem opening up D70, D200 or D700 images that have been transfered using Nikon software and then opened in Bridge. I do not do that very often though since my raw to TIFF workflow is usually in CNX2.

Oct 09 12 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

photoimager wrote:

Richard Nolan wrote:
I went to Adobe technical help.  Long story short they told me  that NFT slightly changes the files in transfer and that I should use a card reader.

Completely agree Chris. The only file changes that will be made are to the embedded 'sidecar' - IPTC data etc. These are under the user control. If you deselect these then no file changes will be made.

I have never had a problem opening up D70, D200 or D700 images that have been transfered using Nikon software and then opened in Bridge. I do not do that very often though since my raw to TIFF workflow is usually in CNX2.

Sorry, NFT is Nikon File Transfer.  my naming mistake.  it is the same as Nikon Transfer.  Solution posted above.

Oct 09 12 02:01 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Richard Nolan wrote:
I called Nikon.  they said check the meta data of the image and it was 1628 x 1080 pixels.  He then told me the file is corrupted.  Nikon File Transfer was updated for the D800, 800E and D4 to accommodate the larger files.

If you are going to use Nikon File Transfer do this.

Uninstall Nikon Viewer and Nikon File Transfer (Usually bundled so uninstalling Nikon Viewer should do it)

I'd been presuming that you were using the Nikon transfer module that is built-in to ViewNX2. When ViewNX2 was released some years ago the 'stand-alone' Nikon transfer and viewer became redundant and I do not think they have been maintained / updated by Nikon. It therefore was not a problem with Nikon or their software but that you were not using the required, up to date, version. It's a bit like my trying to open up my D700 files with Nikon Capture 4 ( replaced by CNX then CNX2 ) expecting it to work with the D700 files in the same way as it did my D70 files.

Oct 09 12 02:05 am Link

Photographer

photoimager

Richard Nolan wrote:
Find the most upto date ViewNX for your OS.

ViewNX2, not ViewNX

Oct 09 12 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

In my experience, once the D800 raw files have touched Nikon software you can't open them with adobe products. This D800/Adobe quirk forced me to change my workflow.

and be glad you weren't an early adopter. When I had my issues adobe and the web forums were zero help.

Oct 09 12 03:09 am Link

Photographer

PTFPhoto

Tallahassee, Florida, US

photoimager wrote:

DNG is oft mentioned here and very seldom responded to very well simply because it is not a suitable option for many due to issues that arise, including the added time to convert the files.

Agreed, and I don't do DNG myself.  I only offered it as a possible solution for files he was not able to process any other way.

Oct 09 12 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

Thanks for all the help and posts on this thread.

Looks like I only lost one set before I realized the problem.  There is also a way to recover 36MB JPGs which I am now working on.

Will post once I know it works

Oct 09 12 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Richard Nolan

I tried IJFR that is Instant JPG From RAW as a preview.  Thought it would be 36MB JPG but they come in as 2MB.  I am on Mac this eve and will try Windows machine tomorrow.

Saving as TIFF from NX2 does about 5MB per file.

I am no expert on the difference between the two, but I am thinking I will go for the TIFF 5MB per file and work from that before a 2MB JPG

If you have knowledge on the two to suggest I should go for the smaller sized JPG I would be happy to hear.  Else, I think, in the words of Jim Morrison, This is the End My Friend

Rich

Oct 09 12 10:20 am Link