* Full Frame sensor in a Compact Body
* 35mm F2 fixed lens
* 36 x 24mm CMOS sensor
* Leaf Shutter (silent operation)
* Manual aperture ring on lens
* Manual exposure compensation dial
* Price: $2600 - $2900
* Available: Christmas 2012?

https://3.static.img-dpreview.com/products_data/products/sony_dscrx1/shots/front.jpg?v=1675

https://3.static.img-dpreview.com/products_data/products/sony_dscrx1/shots/top.jpg?v=1675

Sample Photo from  pre-production unit:
https://g2.img-dpreview.com/00C977DBB74B45A0AE9D3C73A1F0D0FD.jpg
Captured:    Oct 8, 2012
Uploaded:    Oct 8, 2012 (UTC)
Focal length:    35 mm
Shutter speed:    1/500 sec
Aperture:    F9.0
ISO:    100

Oct 09 12 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Nice but too dame expensive. I'm a Sony/Minolta shooter. I'm using that coin to buy the A99.

Oct 09 12 10:04 am Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Los Angeles, California, US

Planning on replacing my nex 7 + zeiss 24 with the rx1.  Getting the A99 for sure.

Oct 09 12 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Wild Image Media

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia

ff revolution is here - now just to make it affordable.

Oct 09 12 10:44 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio - OtherSide

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Is it me or some of the image from the RX1 do look soft?

I love the idea of full frame small body.  I also hope Sony would introduce the RX full frame that allows interchangeable lenses.

Oct 09 12 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:

I love the idea of full frame small body.  I also hope Sony would introduce the RX full frame that allows interchangeable lenses.

Sony still using that AA filter. Wagering that the full frame RX will be introduce next year.

Oct 09 12 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

ChanStudio - OtherSide wrote:

Yea, interchangeable lens would be great, but I'm worried about the size of the lens itself.  If the lens is too big, then mine as well stick with DSLR size camera.

Oct 09 12 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

reasons I am passing this up for the Fuji X Pro1 or the new X-E1.
For the Sony >>> Fixed lens, pricey, programable dial/menu takes the fun out of semi-rangefinder like analog photography and not sure if the image quality will be any different... just a glorified P&S imo.

Oct 09 12 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Art Silva Photography wrote:
reasons I am passing this up for the Fuji X Pro1 or the new X-E1.
For the Sony >>> Fixed lens, pricey, programable dial/menu takes the fun out of semi-rangefinder like analog photography and not sure if the image quality will be any different... just a glorified P&S imo.

its not a glorified P&S but its a me-too in the hipster camera market.  but if Fuji, Sony et al make shit tons of money selling these things then who am I to argue?  When hipsters adopted fixed wheel track bikes for the city I shook my head but i was secretly thankful that they kept a few  bike manufacturers in business.

Oct 09 12 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Wild Image Media wrote:
ff revolution is here - now just to make it affordable.

I think you mean "FF 'mirrorless' revolution", the FF revolution been around for a while.

But like with others, I can't see dropping that kind of coin for fixed lens camera, regardless if it's full frame (the biggest chunk of reason to even mention 'full frame' would be if it had interchangeable capabilities).

Oct 09 12 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

Damn expensive P&S!!

Oct 09 12 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

George Ruge wrote:
Damn expensive P&S!!

tongue For that price on a FF sensor, I would have wanted 24mm big_smile

Oct 09 12 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

K E S L E R

Apparently the lens kicks a lot of ass too.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/here-is- … ion-chart/

Oct 09 12 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Waaaay too expensive (for what it is.)

I'm really trying to understand the logic behind releasing this thing. Why not just drop a full frame sensor in one of the new mirror-less designs?

Oct 09 12 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

William Kious wrote:
Waaaay too expensive (for what it is.)

I'm really trying to understand the logic behind releasing this thing. Why not just drop a full frame sensor in one of the new mirror-less designs?

The lens design for the NEX wouldn't have the coverage at that distance, as such would have to design an entirely new line of lenses to cover that area and be able to register infinity at that distance from the back of the lens.

As such while they were able to do it with a fixed lens 35/2, it may not be economically feasible to do with other lens.

Oct 09 12 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think the NEX-6 is going to be exciting

Oct 09 12 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

G and G PHOTOGRAPHY

Oak Park, Michigan, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
Nice but too dame expensive. I'm a Sony/Minolta shooter. I'm using that coin to buy the A99.

I agree, price is way too high.

Oct 09 12 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

G and G PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

I agree, price is way too high.

This camera might go head to head with Leica M9, and as such is cheap...

Oct 09 12 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

MKPhoto wrote:

I thought about that... but the fixed lens is going to be this thing's Achilles. It's a fine walk-around lens, but it's also somewhat limited.

Looking at additional photos, that lens makes it useless as a pocket camera, too.

Again... I'm just trying to understand the logic.

Oct 09 12 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

William Kious wrote:

Again... I'm just trying to understand the logic.

two words: hip ster.  Oh wait thats just one

Oct 09 12 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

MKPhoto wrote:

Can't really go head to head without actually being a apple to apple comparison (that is to say being able to mount an existing lens line).

Oct 09 12 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

liddellphoto

London, England, United Kingdom

It looks awesome but the price for a camera that will likely be a second camera and without interchangeable lenses is pretty steep. You get a a Zeiss T* 35mm (equiv manual focus slr lens from zeiss is ~£700) and what is apparently a Nikon D600 sensor though.

I pretty much never use a 35mm lens except on my X100 for street photog and I'm not paying that much for a street camera.

Oct 10 12 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

liddellphoto wrote:
It looks awesome but the price for a camera that will likely be a second camera and without interchangeable lenses is pretty steep. You get a a Zeiss T* 35mm (equiv manual focus slr lens from zeiss is ~£700) and what is apparently a Nikon D600 sensor though.

I pretty much never use a 35mm lens except on my X100 for street photog and I'm not paying that much for a street camera.

Sony sensor. Made for this camera, A99 and D600.

Oct 10 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Its Visual

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I'd be curious to know what the profit margin is on that one.

Oct 10 12 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Its Visual wrote:
I'd be curious to know what the profit margin is on that one.

At that price point, I'm guessing it's fairly high. I can't see these things flying off the shelves, after all. The whole thing could be more a marketing ploy to test the waters.

Oct 10 12 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

DP

Oct 10 12 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

MKPhoto wrote:

How?

They are very different cameras and, even if they weren't, the comparison would be with the new M, not the M9.

I would ADORE it if Sony or Oly or Panny or Canikon made a true rangefinder to compete with Leica.  It might happen, but I doubt it.

Oct 10 12 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Digitoxin wrote:
How?

They are very different cameras and, even if they weren't, the comparison would be with the new M, not the M9.

I would ADORE it if Sony or Oly or Panny or Canikon made a true rangefinder to compete with Leica.  It might happen, but I doubt it.

Yes,  I compared the Sony with an M9 with a 50mm lens, and ignored the whole line of lenses (Karl above). But if I am to buy a FF with a fixed/one lens, 35mm for 3K beats 50mm for 10K.

Oct 10 12 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Digitoxin wrote:
How?

Fuji is probably the closest one to making that possible, followed by Olympus most likely (Based off maybe one of their older cameras, despite their original Pen-F was a half frame SLR).

Otherwise it would probably be a niche producer like Voigtländer as they currently still make M lenses (and some LTMs if not all discontinued) as well as a few micro-4/3 mount lens, and not sure but probably still make some of the Bessas.

Oct 10 12 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

MKPhoto wrote:
Yes,  I compared the Sony with an M9 with a 50mm lens, and ignored the whole line of lenses (Karl above). But if I am to buy a FF with a fixed/one lens, 35mm for 3K beats 50mm for 10K.

Though in regards to a street camera, at 3K... I'd want a 24mm not a 35mm big_smile lol. One of the perks of FF was to get wide easily without as much compromise.

Oct 10 12 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

I'd hit it

Oct 10 12 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
I'd hit it

I'm dying to know with what.

Oct 10 12 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

Well, at least it doesn't look like an beat up shoe like Hasselblad's Nex.

Oct 10 12 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

R_Marquez wrote:
Well, at least it doesn't look like an beat up shoe like Hasselblad's Nex.

Burn...

Oct 11 12 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

MKPhoto wrote:

OK, but do keep in mind, Focal lengths, sensor size, and lens interchangeability aside, the Sony is not a rangefinder.  The M has that class all to itself.  If one wants a digital rangefinder, there is no competition.  I wish that there was, but there isn't.

Oct 11 12 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Sony missed the price point on the RX1. Good idea, but its priced like a DSLR. Last company to so badly misprice a camera was Sigma with the $8000 foveon crop bodies.

Oct 11 12 06:59 am Link