Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > fancy shmancy hotels

Model

Miss AY

Bulqizë, Bulqizë, Albania

Oct 11 12 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

The Peabody in Memphis.  It's a 4 star as well.

Oct 11 12 12:30 pm Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Umm. Hotel, The Arlington in Hot Springs Arkansas.
I really am lucky to just crash at people's places to save money.

The best place I ever stayed at in general? My cousin's house. His partner and him are just filthy rich and have this huge 10 beroom house for the two of them selfs with a indoor pool... ummm I think that is better then a hotel. big_smile those men sure know how to be amazing hosts! Food, drinks and fun.

Oct 11 12 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Banner

Hayward, California, US

The four seasons in Atlanta. 

The Fairmont in Santa Monica.

Oct 11 12 12:45 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We usually stick with chains, and if we want "fancy" we get a suite.

There was a place in la that was nice, I have no idea what it was though, and the soho in London was super neat. Tiny rooms but they were all decorated individually, and our bathtub had a tv above it. And towel warmers

Oct 11 12 01:15 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oooooh I'm lying, there was a hotel in Virginia. Bigass bathtub in the livingroom, that was cool.

and the one in yelm had a jacuzzi tub and fire place

Oct 11 12 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

The Fairmont in Whistler BC.

Very nice.

LOTS of super-psuedo-friendly waitstaff insinuating themselves into my life to get a tip.

Really good affordable breakfast right around the corner though.

The view driving back down the coast to Bellingham was by far the best part in the end. Fall colors, mist and fog, ocean and islands. Stunning.

Oct 11 12 01:21 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

B & B suite. It was listed as 4 stars, but it was ridiculously cheap, and the breakfasts were to die for.

Oct 11 12 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Fair

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Casa Monica in St. Augustine.

http://www.casamonica.com/

Oct 11 12 01:27 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Augustine York wrote:
Just found out I'll be staying at the Omni Parker House in March for a convention happening in Boston. It's listed a 4 star hotel! Never been to something so faaaancy tongue

What's the nicest hotel you've ever stayed at?

OMG, I LOVE the Parker House!!  LOVELOVELOVE!  I was there for several days and loved it!

Also, the Peabody in Little Rock rocks!  I was there for a school board convention.  And the ducks are adorable. big_smile

Oct 11 12 01:35 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Bella la Bell wrote:
Umm. Hotel, The Arlington in Hot Springs Arkansas.
I really am lucky to just crash at people's places to save money.

The best place I ever stayed at in general? My cousin's house. His partner and him are just filthy rich and have this huge 10 beroom house for the two of them selfs with a indoor pool... ummm I think that is better then a hotel. big_smile those men sure know how to be amazing hosts! Food, drinks and fun.

My boss adores the Arlington, and she stays there whenever she goes to Hot Springs, which is often.

Oct 11 12 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Hyatt Regency in Joburg, South Africa. Five stars.

Oct 11 12 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

SillyEddy

Coventry, England, United Kingdom

A couple of 4 black star hotels. Usually a couple of AA rosettes too. Possibly even on the Michelin Guide. Rating varies from about 75-78% I think.

How much? £30 for bed and breakfast, plus 20% off food and drink (but if you know the staff then it drops dramatically for drink at least)

It helps if you're an employee with the chain tongue

Oct 11 12 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Hmmm, we "Blue Booked" it across Ireland and Scotland a few years back  .  .  .  places like Glin Castle, Loch Torridon, and a few others were fantastic, not just for the lodgings, but also the settings  .  .  .  course, The Horned Dorset in Rincon was fairly amazing as well  .  .  .  great, now I feel like travelin'  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Oct 11 12 02:10 pm Link

Model

Little Queenie

Indio, California, US

I've stayed at a few. My boyfriend is a department director at a Waldorf Astoria property. We get some great discounts. We stayed in a casita suite at his property. It had a private pool, living room, huge dining area and two fireplaces.

Stayed at the Roosevelt in Hollywood a few years back, wasn't terribly impressed. The W was really nice. The Loews Hollywood hotel was also really nice. The room service was fantastic.

There was another place we stayed but I can't remember the name. I'll have to ask him when I see him later. It was gorgeous, new and right on the beach.

Oct 11 12 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Chroma Flux

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Boca Raton Resort in Boca Raton Florida. Had $6,000 a night rooms..... it was crazy.

Oct 11 12 04:13 pm Link

Model

Nicolette

Houston, Texas, US

Lake Arrowhead resort in Big Bear
Marriott in downtown Austin

Oct 11 12 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I've stayed at few really nice hotels, but it is the cheaper ones I remember most...

One time I called down to the front desk,

"I have a leak in my sink."

The front desk clerk said, "Go ahead."

Oct 11 12 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

I don't know if it's the best hotel I've stayed in, but the Union Hotel in Benicia, CA, was the most interesting hotel I've shot at so far.  I didn't actually spend the night there, though.

It's interesting because it's well-known locally in the paranormal community for it's hauntings.

Since I have so little experience with hotels, it'd probably be the nicest one I've been in, although it's really a somewhat run-down old Victorian, and is only (if I remember right) a 3-star hotel.

Oct 11 12 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

The nicest, would have been Park-Hyatt in Paris, however the favorite would have to be the Albergo Santa Chiara in Rome.

Oct 11 12 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

SkySuites at Aria.  7000 a night.

Oct 11 12 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't know where it sits in terms of 'luxury hotels' but the most luxurious experience I had in my ever lovin' life was the Cozumel Palace. 

The service was amazing.  Every need was meticulously taken care of.  There was snorkeling with tropical fish in the ocean right off the pool. Amazing food.  And I got to drink top shelf tequila from morning to night. 

It was paradise. 

Dear lord that was one of the best times I've had in my life. 

As far as luxury accommodations, I get to spend a weekend at the Nines in Portland this January, so I'll have to report back about that one.

Oct 11 12 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

Vindictive Images

Houston, Texas, US

Mandarin Oriental in DC for work...

Hard Rock Hotel 5 room suite in Vegas for play.

Oct 11 12 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Quay Lude

Madison, Wisconsin, US

The Peninsula Hong Kong

Oct 11 12 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

The Benbow Inn, in northern California's Redwood country.

https://www.rainbow.vinteractive.com/benbow/images/stories/rooms/garden_cottage_425.jpg

http://www.rainbow.vinteractive.com/ben … Itemid=113

Back in '84, my girlfriend won a contest at work and the prize was a weekend for two at Benbow Inn's honeymoon cottage. Redwood hot tub in the bathroom. Total isolation from the rest of the inn.

We were told that in the 1930s, when Charles Laughton was prepping for his role as Captain Bligh in "Mutiny on the Bounty," he escaped Hollywood and holed up at the Benbow Inn for several months and each night after dinner he'd entertain fellow guests with script readings in front of the big fireplace in the lobby.

Oct 11 12 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Probably my favorite was the Nikko Resort in Bali.

Oct 11 12 05:27 pm Link

Model

Sophia Be

Portland, Oregon, US

Compass Rose Studios wrote:
I don't know where it sits in terms of 'luxury hotels' but the most luxurious experience I had in my ever lovin' life was the Cozumel Palace. 

The service was amazing.  Every need was meticulously taken care of.  There was snorkeling with tropical fish in the ocean right off the pool. Amazing food.  And I got to drink top shelf tequila from morning to night. 

It was paradise. 

Dear lord that was one of the best times I've had in my life. 

As far as luxury accommodations, I get to spend a weekend at the Nines in Portland this January, so I'll have to report back about that one.

I've stayed at a bunch of, what I consider to be, fancy hotels. I used to stay at the Embassy's a lot (mostly the San Jose Embassy). The River Place Portland, I had a two level suite once at The Hotel Vintage Plaza, quite a few wonderful coastal places. But the most fabulous one was Cozumel Palace, hands down.

Oct 11 12 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

i've always enjoyed old (i mean old) hotels, with great history to them.

some personal faves:
the chelsea
the royal orleans
the emily morgan

places like that. i hate cookie cutter anything, and i hate yuppies. they are the ruin of everything good and quaint.

any of the great hotels at the south end of central park are fantastic too.

Oct 11 12 10:37 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Middle Island, New York, US

the fanciest hotel was the Bellagio in Vegas.... shiny stuff everywhere. (I was brought as a guest)

I enjoyed the simple rooms in Ixtapa/Zihua  with amazing views and gorgeous natural beauty. Every room had an outdoor hammock and view of the ocean with a stone deck. I would choose that any day. The Westin is an amazing hotel. Flowers splayed out on your bed every day.

Oct 11 12 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

Augustine York wrote:
Just found out I'll be staying at the Omni Parker House in March for a convention happening in Boston. It's listed a 4 star hotel! Never been to something so faaaancy tongue

The Ritz in Atlanta or the Sheraton Park Tower (London).

Oct 11 12 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

bungalow at chateau marmont.

DOUGLASFOTOS wrote:
SkySuites at Aria.  7000 a night.

i've been offered rooms in that cowpie town that cost three times that, while making five times that at the craps table. tongue

you know what i told 'em? i'll keep playing. smile

aria is nice though...for vegas.

Oct 11 12 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Oct 11 12 11:11 pm Link

Model

_ Robyn Elizabeth _

London, England, United Kingdom

We had a work conference in the 4 seasons in Vancouver, that was fancy.

The most fancy i think thought was the St Pancras Renaissance Hotel in London.  I took my fiancée there as a 30th birthday present. So expensive, especially as it's a 30minute walk from my house, but pretending to be rich for a day was wonderful.

Oct 11 12 11:31 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Personally, I refuse to stay in fancy hotels unless a) the rate is massively discounted or b) somebody else is paying.

I did pay for my partner to spend a few days in a 5* hotel in Rome a while ago though and was kind of amused to find that after paying around $500 per night for the room they also charged another $50 per person for breakfast! yikes

Really, that's just taking the piss....

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Oct 12 12 05:06 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

https://www.mengerhotel.com/media/images/headerPhotos/home/01.jpg

https://www.mengerhotel.com/media/images/headerPhotos/home/06.jpg

https://www.mengerhotel.com/media/images/headerPhotos/weddings/01.jpg

Stayed at The Menger Hotel several times. Should be clickable links.

Oct 12 12 06:20 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Augustine York wrote:

Difficult to answer b/c it varies somewhat with the location:
--The Jefferson in Richmond, VA
--a  Sofitel in Istanbul on the Bosphorus
--Intercontinental in Beirut
--Stephanie Inn Hotel on Cannon Beach in Oregon (location is everything)

Ed

Oct 12 12 06:37 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

afplcc wrote:

Difficult to answer b/c it varies somewhat with the location:
--The Jefferson in Richmond, VA
--a  Sofitel in Istanbul on the Bosphorus
--Intercontinental in Beirut
--Stephanie Inn Hotel on Cannon Beach in Oregon (location is everything)

Ed

Ugh, I forgot about The Jefferson!  That staircase was to die for.  Is it still open?

Oct 12 12 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

Danieli in Venice, Italy

Oct 12 12 11:58 am Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

The Peninsula, Hong Kong.

The Pierre, New York.

The Carlyle, New York.

Oct 12 12 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Gasoline Photography

Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

The business suite at the Mövenpick, Essen - the hotel room we booked on our wedding night. It was awesome. And we chose the business suite because there was an espresso machine in the room with unlimited coffee. borat

Oct 12 12 01:58 pm Link