Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Don't text and drive...

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Los Angeles, California, US

Brutal but effective ad

http://saaq-videos.s3.amazonaws.com/tex … _540p.webm

It is in french but says: "Before no one texted when they drove... must have been for a good reason"

Oct 11 12 05:44 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Heather

Middle Island, New York, US

this scared the shit out of me.

Oct 12 12 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

WCR3

Houston, Texas, US

Strong stuff. Effective.

Oct 12 12 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Young people wont listen. They are too young to die.

Oct 12 12 01:47 pm Link

Model

Sorinphyre

Wasilla, Alaska, US

A good friend of mine was hit by an SUV some months back.  The driver was texting while driving.  My friend was nearly killed and required several months of painful surgeries.  Also his very expensive motorcycle was completely destroyed. 

Now his life is completely different.  He can't move the same, he's in constant pain, and has considered suicide.  This guy is a former US Marine and is currently a research biologist working on government grants for wildlife conservation.  He's one of the most intelligent and accomplished people I've ever known, and his life was severely altered and nearly ended just because some bitch couldn't put down her fucking phone.

Oct 12 12 01:55 pm Link

Model

SweetGirlyGirl2

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Oh, my..
I'm posting this to my fb..

Oct 12 12 03:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chroma Flux

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I clicked the link and it started downloading a file without opening a webpage...... and I hit cancel.

Oct 12 12 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

Wes Powell wrote:
I clicked the link and it started downloading a file without opening a webpage...... and I hit cancel.

Sounds like your system's got issues.

Oct 13 12 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:
It is in french but says: "Before no one texted when they drove... must have been for a good reason"

The french at the end "Au Volant, On Ne Texte Pas." said all that? I thought it simply said [when?] Driving, [we?] don't text.

Kind of reminds me of the photo session scene in Lost in Translation where the set director is probably rambling paragraphs of japanese, and she sums it up as about 3 or 4 words in english.

Oct 13 12 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Wes Powell wrote:

Roy Hubbard wrote:
Sounds like your system's got issues.

Naw it downloaded for me as well, and I opened the 1.4MB webm file in my video player.

I'd probably say it's because the OP linked to the video file directly, and said client (ie: mine is Safari) doesn't open it embedded.

Oct 13 12 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Quang Dang

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Sweet_Nikki  wrote:
Oh, my..
I'm posting this to my fb..

I just did it too

but I know young ppl don't give a sh*t

Oct 13 12 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Blessing

Caledonia, Michigan, US

Quang Dang wrote:

I just did it too

but I know young ppl don't give a sh*t

If I recall that video been around for least 2 years I thought, but seems like old stuff can be easily recycled with the attention span of most of the social media.

Oct 13 12 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Sermon

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Oct 14 12 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Even in states where it is still legal to use your  phone and drive you can still be charged, and worse yet have your ass sued because you were distracted by using your phone.  Even if you were just talking on it.

Taking you eye off the road for just two seconds and going 60mph, you travel the length of two football fields.

Even if you were just part of an accident but didn't cause, if you were on your phone in any way, you could also be sued by others in the crash for contributing to accident.  It has happened and the settlement was in the millions.

Getting in an accident is just a very small part of it.  Lawsuits, whether it was your fault or not, can also destroy your life.

Oct 14 12 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mike Collins wrote:
Taking you eye off the road for just two seconds and going 60mph, you travel the length of two football fields.

No you don't.

You travel about 60 yards.

To cover 100 yards in a second you'd have to be going almost 205 miles per hour.

Oct 14 12 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Just something I heard recently.  Didn't do the math myself but you are right.

Still, a lot can happen in front of you in those 2 seconds you take your eye off the road to look at or type a text.  Hell, people pull in front of me or slow way down all the time when I'm fully aware of my surroundings.

Oct 14 12 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Mike Collins wrote:
Just something I heard recently.  Didn't do the math myself but you are right.

Still, a lot can happen in front of you in those 2 seconds you take your eye off the road to look at or type a text.  Hell, people pull in front of me or slow way down all the time when I'm fully aware of my surroundings.

Oh absolutely. No doubt about that.  Just didn't want to give people the wrong impression about what's going on.  But yes.. alot can happen in 2 seconds.

Oct 14 12 07:47 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Good stuff

Oct 14 12 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I can barely text while sitting on the couch.

Oct 14 12 07:56 am Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

Wye wrote:

No you don't.

You travel about 60 yards.

To cover 100 yards in a second you'd have to be going almost 205 miles per hour.

I believe the math says 5 seconds at 55 mph will do 300 ft, but I haven't checked.

I posted an article once where someone I know hit the back of a school bus at 80 or so.  It was pretty painful to read.

Another girl I knew was smart enough to find a DD to get a ride home with.  Her DD was speeding and texting.  They left the interstate and hit a tree.  I walked in about 1:15a that morning and heard it on the scanner.  The dispatcher said the passenger was thrown through the windshield but they were unable to locate her.  That was another one that was hard to deal with.

Yeah...texting and driving isn't good for anyone.

Oct 14 12 08:02 am Link