Forums > General Industry > On bras...

Model

Julia Steel

Sylvania, Ohio, US

i breast-fed for a year and a half and my boobies have paid for it dearly. one is 2 sizes bigger than the other and they aren't round and/or perky in the least. a bra definitely helps. if a photographer wants it off i have no problem with that, but personally i just don't think it looks as good. if i had normal boobs then i wouldn't care, but that's just me. i'm sure different models have different reasons for wanting to keep them on.

Oct 14 12 12:33 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Models often like to wear bras during a clothed shoot because the bra gives them a nice shape.  There aren't many women (models or otherwise) who have nice, round, perky, and perfectly shaped boobs naturally.   There are many models who have overly pointy, or slightly saggy boobs, even the A and B cups. 

I really don't understand why you would care.  If you're worried about the marks on the shoulders, ask them to wear a strappless or racerback bra to the shoot, problem solved.  If wearing a bra during a clothed shoot helps the model feel more confident, it's probably in your best interest to let her wear it.  Confident model= better photos.

Oct 14 12 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

The only time a bra bothers me is when the straps show plainly.  If there was a multimillion dollar client/job on the line, the lines might matter more, but since there isn't (yet), they don't bother me.

I had one model who had her bra straps showing.  I was going to ask her if she could tuck the straps down so they didn't show when she volunteered to take the whole thing off.  If she had on a top that had sleeves (as opposed to spaghetti straps), I wouldn't have said a thing.

What cracks me up is that bra lines bother some, but lines on a person's face don't.  They just photoshop the facial lines out of existence.  What's the difference?

Oct 14 12 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Blue Ash Film Group wrote:
It is on July 9th. I think she is stating you should have waited until then for some reason.

I thought it was Oct 13th, (yesterday).

Anyway bras in my view are lies, down right lies, lol. j/k

Oct 14 12 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Looks2Love

Santa Cruz, California, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:

They shouldn't be modelling then, unless they are exceptionally big to the point they need some support. Any size 2 and below model will have A-B cups that hold perfectly by themselves.

When I grew up in France I remember how few bras young women wore... in America another story smile

Sometimes I feel they wear 2 layers, not just one.

Haha lol your probably referring to the industrial bras that are like 3 bras in one! Lmao

Oct 14 12 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Looks2Love

Lovely Day Media wrote:
The only time a bra bothers me is when the straps show plainly.  If there was a multimillion dollar client/job on the line, the lines might matter more, but since there isn't (yet), they don't bother me.

I had one model who had her bra straps showing.  I was going to ask her if she could tuck the straps down so they didn't show when she volunteered to take the whole thing off.  If she had on a top that had sleeves (as opposed to spaghetti straps), I wouldn't have said a thing.

What cracks me up is that bra lines bother some, but lines on a person's face don't.  They just photoshop the facial lines out of existence.  What's the difference?

Uh generally if you can afford a good makeup artist they make the lines disappear so you don't have too:-)

Oct 14 12 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Yves Duchamp- Homme

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Scarlet Hellion wrote:
I keep my bra on as a courtesy to my husband.  Everyone has boobs, but this particular set are his and his alone. Maybe it is more of a privacy thing than anything else.

Your boobs don't belong to YOU? https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png.

Oct 14 12 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Looks2Love

Caustic Disco wrote:
i breast-fed for a year and a half and my boobies have paid for it dearly. one is 2 sizes bigger than the other and they aren't round and/or perky in the least. a bra definitely helps. if a photographer wants it off i have no problem with that, but personally i just don't think it looks as good. if i had normal boobs then i wouldn't care, but that's just me. i'm sure different models have different reasons for wanting to keep them on.

Yes, some models feel that way.

Oct 14 12 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Looks2Love

Shon D.- Homme wrote:
Your boobs don't belong to YOU? https://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.png.

Haha, I don't think she quite meant it THAT way-but Puritan thought
never the less. I say if your going for the best shot then it will need a bra or not need a bra
depending on the model and the style of shoot. I prefer to do all my nudes with
bras on;-)

Oct 14 12 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

DVP Photography wrote:
Any good glamour model should not wear a bra.  However, it's not a matter of age.  I see many late teen and 20's models on MM who have to wear a bra as they have let themselves go.

Let themselves go?  What?  Breasts aren't muscles.  Even toning pectoral muscles doesn't have all that much effect on perkiness.

Breasts come in all shapes, and overall body bulk and age don't always correlate to breast shape.  This was made very obvious to me when I attended the Dyke Parade in Toronto years ago.  It takes place on Saturday, the day before the big Gay Pride parade.

In the Dyke Parade, 500-1000 women (that year) marched down Yonge Street, the major north-south street in Toronto.  Many were topless.  You could see middle-aged women with great boobs, and young women with not-so-great boobs.  Some big women had big boobs, some didn't.  Some small women had small boobs, some didn't.

Women can tone most parts of their bodies, but with breasts, most of their shape is what God gave them.  Short of surgery, there's not a lot to be done.

Oct 14 12 02:18 pm Link

Model

Isis22

Muncie, Indiana, US

Ask the models why they do it.

Oct 14 12 02:24 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Visual Serotonin wrote:
Had no clue? is that the national no bra day today? smile

It was(: for breast cancer awareness. It's also breast cancer awareness month(-:

Edit- to clarify, "national" no bra day is July 9th. October 13 is also No Bra Day. I guess we needed two(-:

Oct 14 12 04:29 pm Link

Model

Jessie Shannon

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

To wear a bra or not to wear a bra

Oct 14 12 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Presley ONeil wrote:
It was(: for breast cancer awareness. It's also breast cancer awareness month(-:

Edit- to clarify, "national" no bra day is July 9th. October 13 is also No Bra Day. I guess we needed two(-:

I vote for MORE!!!

Oct 14 12 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

R80

Marceline, Missouri, US

I kind of know what you're complaining about here.  I shoot a lot of bare midriff, bare shoulders outfits and some of the models come out wearing what seems like 3 or 4 layered tops with all the straps showing.  It's a nightmare to have to shop all that out on a multitude of images.

Young girls seem modest today, despite all their professed progressiveness and liberalism and yes, I do miss the 70s "no bra look".  The funny thing is, these same girls have no trouble showing everyone what their skiivies look like.  Oh, do I recall a discussion on that with a high school teacher that was totally sick of it.

Styles come and go and often are the result of what the current brain washing steers people to.  Give it time.  I'm sure this one, like all, will fade out.

Oct 14 12 06:34 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Yes, of course, all women's bodies are exactly the same, which includes "perfectly firm" breasts if we are under 35. OF COURSE NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

Oct 14 12 06:45 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Caustic Disco wrote:

That actually sounds pretty normal to me. What do you expect?

Oct 14 12 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:
Models often like to wear bras during a clothed shoot because the bra gives them a nice shape.  There aren't many women (models or otherwise) who have nice, round, perky, and perfectly shaped boobs naturally.   There are many models who have overly pointy, or slightly saggy boobs, even the A and B cups. 

I really don't understand why you would care.  If you're worried about the marks on the shoulders, ask them to wear a strappless or racerback bra to the shoot, problem solved.  If wearing a bra during a clothed shoot helps the model feel more confident, it's probably in your best interest to let her wear it.  Confident model= better photos.

/thread

Oct 14 12 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Squeezing the graceful beauty of the female breast into ridiculous cups and cones enhanced with foam rubber bastardizations of beauty should be illegal.

Oct 14 12 06:55 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

Wearing a bra is more comfortable than not wearing a bra.

Oct 14 12 06:57 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Art of the nude wrote:

I vote for MORE!!!

I second that!(:

Oct 14 12 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

V Laroche wrote:
Wearing a bra is more comfortable than not wearing a bra.

Modeling is about the look.  Comfort is irrelevant.  The natural lines of an uninhibited breast trump cups and cones and pads every time.

Oct 14 12 07:06 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

BTHPhoto wrote:
Modeling is about the look.  Comfort is irrelevant.  The natural lines of an uninhibited breast trump cups and cones and pads every time.

No, they don't.

Oct 14 12 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

V Laroche wrote:

No, they don't.

Yes, they do.

Oct 14 12 07:09 pm Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

BTHPhoto wrote:
Yes, they do.

Not everybody is shooting "natural beauty" photos all the time. Not everybody is shooting nudes all the time, either.

Oct 14 12 07:09 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
You can't "let yourself go" in terms of the way your tits look, that's fucking ridiculous and shows that you know absolutely nothing about the female body (or any body and the way that it stores fat inside it's skin for that matter)

There are extremely skinny fit and healthy women who don't have perky perfect breasts for no other reason than they werent born that way

There are extremely tiny women with huge tits for no other reason than they were born that way and that's where their body decides to store its fat (I'm sorry, what exercise do you do to lose weight in your tits?)

There are larger women who, when theyre heavy, have great huge perky fantastic tits, but when they lose weight, yes the fat comes out of their tits too, and depending on their age and how well their skin and muscle "bounce back" their breasts may be less than perfect

Your breasts change through both puberty and pregnancy, as well as when you add hormonal medications into your life (or take them away)

There are women who have had breast reductions, breast cancer, etc

So what exactly is it that you know about "the droopies" and how those women don't care for their bodies well enough?

Great reply.

This thread is a hot mess for the most part, though.

Oct 14 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Presley ONeil wrote:

well only seems 2 is fair since there are two to uncover or cover... dont want one or the other getting jealous wink

Oct 14 12 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Peach Jones

Champaign, Illinois, US

Amber Tench wrote:

That is quite an assumption. Professional fashion models, sure, for the most part will fit that standard. In the MM world though where there is an abundance of hobby models, I don't think that is a fair statement. There are plenty of lovely ladies on here that are around a size 2 but with larger-than-A-or-B-cup breasts. Then there is the genetic factor of skin elasticity... some girls can get away with D cup, no bra, and hold up fine. Others can be B cup, wear a bra constantly, and gravity will still find a way.

this is so very true. I shot with one model who defied gravity and was a C/D cup. And I have had some B cups where I almost told them to put their bra back on

Oct 14 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Jessie Shannon wrote:
To wear a bra or not to wear a bra

That is the question...

Oct 14 12 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
You can't "let yourself go" in terms of the way your tits look, that's fucking ridiculous and shows that you know absolutely nothing about the female body (or any body and the way that it stores fat inside it's skin for that matter)

There are extremely skinny fit and healthy women who don't have perky perfect breasts for no other reason than they werent born that way

There are extremely tiny women with huge tits for no other reason than they were born that way and that's where their body decides to store its fat (I'm sorry, what exercise do you do to lose weight in your tits?)

There are larger women who, when theyre heavy, have great huge perky fantastic tits, but when they lose weight, yes the fat comes out of their tits too, and depending on their age and how well their skin and muscle "bounce back" their breasts may be less than perfect

Your breasts change through both puberty and pregnancy, as well as when you add hormonal medications into your life (or take them away)

So what exactly is it that you know about "the droopies" and how those women don't care for their bodies well enough?

Really ??? Typical 20 some person.... Never read what the dude has to say.... Other than posting here need to go out and grow !!!!! LOL smile

Oct 14 12 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

ArtGlo

Peru, Illinois, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

+1

Oct 14 12 07:35 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Charger Photography wrote:
Really ??? Typical 20 some person.... Never read what the dude has to say.... Other than posting here need to go out and grow !!!!! LOL smile

Your post is completely incoherent so forgive me if Im not understanding you clearly, but it LOOKS like youre saying that you disagree with what i wrote and are also saying that my response is not appropriate for the quotes below, which are what I was responding to:

DVP Photography wrote:
Any good glamour model should not wear a bra.  However, it's not a matter of age.  I see many late teen and 20's models on MM who have to wear a bra as they have let themselves go.

Visual Serotonin wrote:
They shouldn't be modelling then, unless they are exceptionally big to the point they need some support. Any size 2 and below model will have A-B cups that hold perfectly by themselves.

DVP Photography wrote:
Model Mayhem is full of hobbiest models or model wannabees, whose breasts don't make the grade to go without a bra but who want to model.  And they are not big to where they have to have support.  They have the droopies, sad to say, and as I said, it isn't a matter of age.  Just wander around ports on MM and you'll see this quite frequently.

I ABSOLUTELY read and comprehended what they said. Its utter horseshit. Now please dont patronize me and tell me that I need to "get out and grow" because Im a "20something". I THINK Ive got a pretty good grasp on how BREASTS work, and I THINK the previous male posters have sufficiently demonstrated that they do NOT have a firm grasp on...just about anything to do with a human body. What do YOU have to add?

Oct 14 12 08:52 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

Charger Photography wrote:

Your post is completely incoherent so forgive me if Im not understanding you clearly, but it LOOKS like youre saying that you disagree with what a wrote and are also saying that my response is not appropriate for the quotes below, which are what I was responding to:

DVP Photography wrote:

Visual Serotonin wrote:

I ABSOLUTELY read and comprehended what they said. Its utter horseshit. Now please dont patronize me and tell me that I need to "get out and grow" because Im a "20something". I THINK Ive got a pretty good grasp on how BREASTS work, and I THINK the previous male posters have sufficiently demonstrated that they do NOT have a firm grasp on...just about anything to do with a human body. What do YOU have to add?

https://www.want2lol.com/pdata/t/l-131.gif

Oct 15 12 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Fifi wrote:

https://www.want2lol.com/pdata/t/l-131.gif

+1

The quoted posters can be observed to be clumsily fumbling, Laura has a much firmer grasp of breasts. It's pleasing.

Oct 15 12 05:45 am Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

DVP Photography wrote:

Model Mayhem is full of hobbiest models or model wannabees, whose breasts don't make the grade to go without a bra but who want to model.  And they are not big to where they have to have support.  They have the droopies, sad to say, and as I said, it isn't a matter of age.  Just wander around ports on MM and you'll see this quite frequently.

This post is full of lolwut.

Oct 15 12 07:12 am Link

Model

Gemma Cullen

Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom

I am a US size 38H, I've always been large chested even when I was a teenager. Without a bra my back hurts. My breasts are pretty perky and nicely shaped, but I wear a bra for comfort rather than to change the shape etc of them. I do not wear padded bras or water filled bras, just underwired none padded. I don't do levels above lingerie in my case corsets so bra marks make no difference and my bra can not be seen under my clothes. I would not go to a shoot with a bra or a corset on.

Oct 15 12 07:52 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

DivaEroticus wrote:

This post is full of lolwut.

+1 OP and all that agree with all of his post, at first you were complaining about the models that wouldn't liberate their breast from their bra, then you complain about some of the ones that do have sag or "imperfect" chest for some reason. I am not following your logic in this thread at all.

Yes bra lines and bras that can be seen through sheer material can upset your vision for the shoot. I would suggest that you be clear in what you are needing from them before you book them.

As far as models with sagging or imperfect mammaries there are several niches for them and can be great models. It is not their fault that something happened or they never were "perfect" Do you think you are perfect in all that you do (and have)? Just asking. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. I wouldn't want you to embarrass yourself.

Just so you know where I'm coming from; I would love to produce an artistic nude shoot with a breast cancer survivor as long as she was comfortable with it. Art and beauty can be found in many places if you look deep enough.

I believe I have said enough so.... Next!

Oct 15 12 07:53 am Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Gemma Cullen wrote:
.... I would not go to a shoot with a bra or a corset on.

I think you would look fabulous in a corset set.

Oct 15 12 07:58 am Link

Model

Gemma Cullen

MesmerEyes Photography wrote:

I think you would look fabulous in a corset set.

Thank you smile

Oct 15 12 08:12 am Link

Model

Gemma Cullen

MesmerEyes Photography wrote:

+1 OP and all that agree with all of his post, at first you were complaining about the models that wouldn't liberate their breast from their bra, then you complain about some of the ones that do have sag or "imperfect" chest for some reason. I am not following your logic in this thread at all.

Yes bra lines and bras that can be seen through sheer material can upset your vision for the shoot. I would suggest that you be clear in what you are needing from them before you book them.

As far as models with sagging or imperfect mammaries there are several niches for them and can be great models. It is not their fault that something happened or they never were "perfect" Do you think you are perfect in all that you do (and have)? Just asking. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. I wouldn't want you to embarrass yourself.

Just so you know where I'm coming from; I would love to produce an artistic nude shoot with a breast cancer survivor as long as she was comfortable with it. Art and beauty can be found in many places if you look deep enough.

I believe I have said enough so.... Next!

+1000

Oct 15 12 08:13 am Link