Forums > Critique > How long would you guess I've been at photography?

Photographer

Rachel Watkins

Portland, Oregon, US

Lets just play a little guessing game, I'm always interested in seeing how long people think I've been doing photography and how old they think I am. Also, good critique would be greatly appreciated, I'm always up for constructive criticism.

Oct 15 12 02:19 am Link

Photographer

David Desoer

Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Oct 15 12 04:35 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

David Desoer wrote:
Having picked it up at age 16, you've been going about two years.  I know, I'm no fun.

Cheers,
Dave

Something like this !

Oct 15 12 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

32 years? And I'd say you were about 57.

Am I close?  tongue

Oct 15 12 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Chicchowmein

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I would have guessed less than a year and I would not have guessed your age.

Your black and white lack true blacks IMO but if you go to Brooks they will teach you all  about achieving a full range of tones since it is a technical school you will get a sound technical base but the eye they can not teach you.

IMO you have a lot of cliches in your portfolio ( the hair toss, the writing on the face, the duct tape on the mouth and nothing different or unique about your approach -- I would try to move away from that.

Keep shooting.

Oct 15 12 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Bethany Souza

Pensacola, Florida, US

It looks like a year but im assuming its longer.

Oct 15 12 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Seismic Images

Morisset, New South Wales, Australia

Yeah maybe a year.Your portraits are a little bit 'squished' with the crops and lack of space. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

At least you are out there having a go smile Keep it up smile

Oct 15 12 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

I say 3 months. But keep it up.

Oct 15 12 05:44 am Link

Photographer

JLC Images

Phillipsburg, New Jersey, US

I would guess a few years.  I like the softness in your B&W images

Oct 15 12 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Lee Nutter

Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Vogue Approved?

Oct 15 12 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

chicchowmein wrote:
I would have guessed less than a year and I would not have guessed your age.

My thoughts as well.

Oct 15 12 06:12 am Link

Photographer

HASKELL TILSON STUDIOS

Dallas, Texas, US

Age 55...Photographer 5 years...if you can believe FB.

Oct 15 12 06:34 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Looking at your work, maybe a year at most.  You have some very cliche shots and it doesn't look like you have found your style yet.  It's not bad mind you, just that you have not found it yet.

I would have guessed you as young given the "vogue approved" comment in your profile, it's rather silly.  Sure getting fashion or beauty images past their screening isn't easy (harder post arts+commerce it seams) but it isn't a relationship with the buyers and publishers or the magazine.

Oct 15 12 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Sclesky Art Nudes

Lee's Summit, Missouri, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Looking at your work, maybe a year at most.  You have some very cliche shots and it doesn't look like you have found your style yet.  It's not bad mind you, just that you have not found it yet.

I would have guessed you as young given the "vogue approved" comment in your profile, it's rather silly.  Sure getting fashion or beauty images past their screening isn't easy (harder post arts+commerce it seams) but it isn't a relationship with the buyers and publishers or the magazine.

ditto.

Oct 15 12 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Cliche' high school student , College Student work.
Its all " I think that's So Cool" is the underlining theme.
no real direction or focus .

And Yes I am sorry but
*VOGUE APPROVED PHOTOGRAPHER*
Isnt True.
You had a single shot on their website.
NO BIG THING (trust me I know )
You aren't Mario Testino or Steven Meisel

Keep at it !!  Stop trying to be something you aren't as of yet, at this point shoot everything , learn MORE , play with your camera as well as your editing techniques .
Study the masters , from Ansel Adams to Man-ray to Herb Ritts and Bruce Weber , and everyone else in between .
At this age and point in your life , you are Barely aware of what you are capable of with your camera , don't typecast yourself Yet .
Learn Your craft !!! You have a good eye , just train it and yourself and it will pay off in the end !!

Best Of Luck

E

http://e-studios.tumblr.com
http://dp.lexar.com/tips-lessons/tips/m … udio-space
http://dp.lexar.com/phro-photo/how-did- … hotography
http://dp.lexar.com/phro-photo/how-did- … t-magazine 

http://www.vogue.it/en/photovogue/Profi … b03a8/User

Oct 15 12 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

A year, maybe two.

Oct 15 12 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Under 21 and around a year of shooting.

Oct 15 12 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

LMG Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I would guess about a year of shooting at most . . .probably a few months.  You do have a good eye.  Your bws need work. You aren't afraid to take chances.  I like that.

I would guess you are 17.

So your Vogue approved. . .eh?

Oct 15 12 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

early to mid 20s
< one year

Oct 15 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

a little over 2 years

Oct 15 12 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

A year?

Vogue approved, neat!

Oct 15 12 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

I didn't read your profile, or any other responses in this thread, so I could guess by my gut reaction to your portfolio. I'm guessing three to six months. Now, off to read your profile to see if there are any clues there.

Edit: Forgot to add your age. Your photos have a "young" feel to them. I'm thinking they might have been taken for a high school or college photography class. I'm going to guess 17-19 years old. Now, off to read that profile....

Oct 15 12 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Bater

London, England, United Kingdom

Rachel Watkins wrote:
Lets just play a little guessing game, I'm always interested in seeing how long people think I've been doing photography and how old they think I am. Also, good critique would be greatly appreciated, I'm always up for constructive criticism.

Vogue Approved? Says who.

And how long? um, it's hard to tell with your work. You have some nice shot's.

But, you haven't a style yet.. so you can't have been doing it too long.

smile Good luck

Oct 15 12 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Tirado Photography

New York, New York, US

I was going to guess your age as 22 but then I saw "vogue approved" so I am going with 19 now.  Probably shooting a little over year and half.

Oct 15 12 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

Miss Havisham Studios

Los Angeles, California, US

People have your number here.  I think the guesses are accurate. No more than 2 years at most. Age I'd guess at 22-23 maybe.

Oct 15 12 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

I would say less than a 2 years and about 18 or 19 years of age.  A long way to go yet!

Oct 15 12 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

DAN CRUIKSHANK

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Two years.

Oct 15 12 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

you've been shooting 18mos-2 years.

As for a port critique and suggestions, I think all your photos lack an esthetic quality.  That can't be improved so easily, you have to develop your artistic eye- go to museums, study study study  watch great cinematography.

Oct 15 12 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

When do we find out the answers?

Oct 15 12 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Rachel Watkins

Portland, Oregon, US

Annnd the answer is 18, quite frankly I have a hell of a lot more diverse photos... Sadly I'm only allowed 15, but I think Im going to update them, and actually I have more than one in Vogue lol. Think I should upgrade to the VIP so I can show the diversity of my photos? I don't think 15 can cut it, but anyway I'm flattered by some, and some cheated hahaha but good critique, any ones I should get rid of??

Oct 15 12 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

David Kirk

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Rachel Watkins wrote:
Annnd the answer is 18, quite frankly I have a hell of a lot more diverse photos... Sadly I'm only allowed 15, but I think Im going to update them, and actually I have more than one in Vogue lol. Think I should upgrade to the VIP so I can show the diversity of my photos? I don't think 15 can cut it, but anyway I'm flattered by some, and some cheated hahaha but good critique, any ones I should get rid of??

No.  If you can't show alot more diversity and talent in 15 photos than what you have in your portfolio now then adding more is not going to help.

Oct 15 12 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Rachel Watkins

Portland, Oregon, US

Sclesky Art Nudes wrote:

ditto.

Actually I have more than one in the Vogue, and arts+commerce just asked to put some of my work through them. And I'm thinking of getting rid of some of the more cliche shots in my port and replacing them with the ones I like more, I have a problem picking out which ones to put on here or not (15 is a hard limit to keep to)

Oct 15 12 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rachel Watkins

Portland, Oregon, US

David Kirk wrote:

No.  If you can't show alot more diversity and talent in 15 photos than what you have in your portfolio now then adding more is not going to help.

David, in fact I CAN, I put those up purely for different reasons, you don't have to make me sound like a talentless poser.

Oct 15 12 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Bek Ruszin

Buffalo, New York, US

Rachel Watkins wrote:

David, in fact I CAN, I put those up purely for different reasons, you don't have to make me sound like a talentless poser.

I don't think that's what he's trying to say.

It basically boils down to quality over quantity.

Oct 15 12 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Varner

Burlington, Iowa, US

I'm always interested in seeing examples of what fashion magazines are using. Since you didn't mention an advertiser, I'm assuming your work's in a Vogue editorial section. Would you mind sharing which issue(s)?

Oct 15 12 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Rachel Watkins

Portland, Oregon, US

Bek Ruszin wrote:

I don't think that's what he's trying to say.

It basically boils down to quality over quantity.

Well I deleted a few that I thought were a tad bit overused/tacky, and added a few of my favorites... I actually prefer it like this, a bit outside with a bit of the studio shots. And I think I might even switch to VIP purely so that when I get a better camera and start shooting more I will have more room. Right now the camera I'm using isn't doing the job (rather I would like a better camera personally it has nothing to do with the photos) and better lenses I hope to grow a lot in the next year, I've got a lot to look forward to this coming year.

Oct 15 12 11:15 pm Link

Model

Samantha Scarlette

New York, New York, US

surely someone who's been published in Vogue wouldn't have something of this awful quality in their port..
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120831/20/50417fad0e7b4.jpg  why is this in there?  It's not in proper focus.  I wouldn't pay someone with this kind of photo in their port to do a shoot ever... If this is one of the top 15 best photos you can come up with, that doesn't say much...

Also why do you bother having the version of the supposed Vogue photo without the water mark in your portfolio?  Isn't it just taking up space that you could use for another completely original shot?

Oct 16 12 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Michael Broughton

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

old enough to be taking or to have taken a highschool or college photography course, most likely early twenties. you've been at it long enough to learn some basic cookie-cutter shots, but not long enough to have any detectable unique style, so no more than a year or two.

Oct 16 12 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

- H T -

New York, New York, US

PhotoByWayne wrote:
early to mid 20s
< one year

+1

Oct 16 12 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

- H T -

New York, New York, US

Rachel Watkins wrote:

If you stay humble and embrace that you have more to learn, you'll develop faster.  Just a thought smile

Oct 16 12 07:05 pm Link