Forums > Photography Talk > Chanel No. 5 ad from the 80's...help.

Photographer

Jim Ewing

Riverside, California, US

Ok, one of my favorite photographs of all time was an ad campaign for Chanel No. 5.  It was a low-key photo with this gorgeous woman in a black floor-length dress standing barefoot on a box and pooring the perfume and having it run down on her right side from a huge bottle directly over her head.  For those in the "know" please identify the model and the photographer.

Oct 30 06 03:28 am Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

can see it in my head but not sure of model/photographer.  I'll try to find out for you!

Oct 30 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Kansas City, Missouri, US

http://www.lessterling.com/chanel_ad.jpg

Is this the ad you're talking about? I'm still looking for info about it...

Oct 30 06 06:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sophie R

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hi

Model is french singer Vanessa Paradis.

Oct 31 06 04:23 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

Chanel No. 5 was the world's first synthetic scent. It was based on no particular scent from nature, but designed in a lab from aldehydes.

That's my Chanel trivia.

Oct 31 06 08:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophie R

Actually Chanel 5 is a flower bouquet made of rose and jasmine. aldehydes go on top of that to "blur" and sweeten the scent.

Oct 31 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

All right then, Chanel No. 5 was the world's first perfume to introduce the concept of and use synthetic scent based on no particular scent from nature, but designed in a lab from aldehydes.

Oct 31 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Natay

Dont want to ''hate" here, but Chanel's no. 5's scent has been the same SINCE the 80's and well before.  The other scents have been modified, improved, or are just obsolete.  Chanel no. 5 needs to be worked on.  Dont want to wear the same thing my grandma wore.

Oct 31 06 10:09 am Link

Model

Natay

If you want a good perfume with a good strong spicy floral scent; try Flower Bomb.  Its the shi*t...

Oct 31 06 10:10 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Natay wrote:
Dont want to ''hate" here, but Chanel's no. 5's scent has been the same SINCE the 80's and well before.  The other scents have been modified, improved, or are just obsolete.  Chanel no. 5 needs to be worked on.  Dont want to wear the same thing my grandma wore.

Lol...it doesn't smell like grandmas...so what does it matter that your grandma wore it? People still like it...old doesn't necessarily mean bad.

Oct 31 06 10:16 am Link

Model

Natay

Just my opinion..

Oct 31 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Since the 20's, actually, one of the coolest decades there ever was.

Oct 31 06 10:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sophie R

N°5 is a very subtle and beautiful perfume. I love wearing it and I don't feel like a grandma at all!

Oct 31 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Sophie R wrote:
N°5 is a very subtle and beautiful perfume. I love wearing it and I don't feel like a grandma at all!

Bet you don't look like grandma either. wink

Oct 31 06 11:29 am Link

Model

Frenchiegirl

Canton, Michigan, US

Chanel # 5 is my favorite perfume and i will point out was favored by my idol Marilyn Monroe smile

Oct 31 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ewing

Natay wrote:

Did you ever think that maybe if your grandmother didn't wear it, you wouldn't be here?  And I would respectfully decline anywoman wearing perfume that was, as you put it... the shit.

Nov 02 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

i both smell and look like a grandma.

Nov 02 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Sophie R wrote:
Hi

Model is french singer Vanessa Paradis.

joe le taxi rocks!

Nov 02 06 07:23 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ewing

You guys rock!!!  Ok I messed up a little.  It is not Chanel No.5 it is Coco.  Here is the shot:

https://www.vanessaparadis.net/images/261g.jpg

Sophie was right, the model is Vanessa Paradis.  The photographer is the legendary Jean-Paul Goude.  My next step is to get a poster and have both sign it.

Sophie:  Tu et tres belle, mon amie!

Nov 03 06 09:19 pm Link