Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Need serious feedback! I'm new & want to be better

Model

Emily L 92

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Please tell me what I can do to get better, Be as harsh as you feel necessary

Nov 03 12 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Randall Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm guessing you've only modeled a few times? Usually after 4-5 shoots you start to get a lot more comfortable. I can see some nervousness in your facial expressions, and they lack any true expression, but I've found that to be pretty normal for new models.

My best advise would be to start shooting as much as you can. Don't just shoot with anyone though, make sure their work is at least halfway good tongue. Facial expressions are always the hardest thing to master.

Nov 04 12 09:22 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

Shoot with more photographers and learn to pose with out your hands on your hips

Nov 04 12 09:25 am Link

Photographer

mac13

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Emily B 123 wrote:
Please tell me what I can do to get better, Be as harsh as you feel necessary

One thing I notice it looks like even though your lips are relaxed your mouth looks locked or clinched. I would find a way to loosen up the face a little more. This could be from over thinking the pose causing your face to look tense. when your shooting remember to relax.

Nov 05 12 10:14 am Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

do tfp with photographers that have access to good lighting equipment, makeup artists and hairstylists.

there is way too much similarity in your photos: no outdoor shots, no emotion, no theme.

Nov 09 12 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

DVP Photography

Broomfield, Colorado, US

You are a stunning beauty with great potential.  I agree with the critique above.  Study modeling portfolios here on MM for learning about posing.  Practice expressions in the mirror.

And here is the best tip of all.  Modeling is just a form of acting.  Perhaps take acting lessons at a junior college.  Think about the mood or emotion you want to portray in the image, let your face and body get into that mood or emotion.

Get lots of shoots!  You'll learn with each one.

Nov 09 12 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

DCP Glamour

Dunwoody, Georgia, US

DEP E510 wrote:
there is way too much similarity in your photos: no outdoor shots, no emotion, no theme.

This, for a start.

I'm going to disagree slightly with some of the other comments so far. You don't necessarily have to know how to convey certain emotions, etc. You need to work with photographers who know how to direct you to achieve certain looks.

I tell my models specifically what to do. "Chin down just slightly." "Focus your gaze on that filing cabinet in the corner." "Hold your hand near your collarbone and relax your fingers."

Not all photographers work like I do. But I've had models tell me they prefer my results over photographers who have been doing it for a long time.

Look at the portfolios of photographers in your area and ask to work with the ones you like. The more work you do, the better your work will be.

Best of luck!

DCP

Nov 09 12 06:57 pm Link