Forums > General Industry > Plus size Modeling

Makeup Artist

RbccaJay

Denver, Colorado, US

Hiya!
I'd like to start a convo about plus size modeling, and I have a few questions. I've been a HMUA for about 15 years..recently a friend of mine, who happens to be a photographer talked me into a shoot, just for fun. Oh, I am plus sized.
The feedback from that shoot was AMAZING! I honestly never thought modeling was something I could do, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
What are your thoughts on plus size modeling? How does one find jobs? And how does one find photographers who would like to work with a plus size model? I ask because I've had some photogs react to the idea as if I had the plague!
ANY & ALL tips, comments or questions are welcome!!
Thank you so much!

Nov 08 12 08:24 am Link

Model

Carolina Goddess

Augusta, Georgia, US

I too am plus sized. There is work out there and there are even some photographers that prefer to work with us. (only a few) but still... Keep at it. I just read an article on plus sized models the other day. It was somewhat discouraging but I refuse to give up. First of all it is so damn much fun. Second you can get some amazing images. Did I mention how much fun it is and you can make a little money at it as well!

Nov 08 12 08:36 am Link

Makeup Artist

RbccaJay

Denver, Colorado, US

Carolina-
Thank you for your reply! It IS a ton of fun..never having been in front of the camera, I had no ideas how much fun it was!

What's the best way to get started? Because I'm a HMUA, I know tons of photographers, so that's not a problem, if I can find some willing to work with me. After I have the images, tho, what then? Also, have you found any go-to themes that work well for us curvy girls?

Thanks!!

Nov 08 12 10:43 am Link

Model

Carolina Goddess

Augusta, Georgia, US

Hit up your Photographer friends! Put a model portfolio on here and have at it! Have fun and Enjoy! Don't be a bunny and beware of the wolves. smile Best of luck. Enjoy and embrace your beauty and size.

Nov 08 12 10:53 am Link

Model

christiecreepydolls

Los Angeles, California, US

I do it for fun, not for money or for a career. When a shoot happens, I am happy as pie but a lot of photgraphers on this site are mean about my size so I do not really reply to ads much.

Nov 09 12 11:52 am Link

Model

TinRoses

Logansport, Indiana, US

Welcome to MM!!!!

Believe it or not, more photographers will say yes to shooting TFP/TFCD shoots with you (or trade for use of your makeup skills in the future) than not. Plus size women are becoming VERY much in demand and very vogue and more widely accepted as time goes on. Give it your all!

Nov 09 12 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Not being able to fit into size 2 pants doesn't automatically make you a 'plus sized model'.

www.newmodels.com/Plus.html

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Nov 09 12 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

Strange thing whenever I approach plus size models about doing a shoot, more often than not they reply back with..."Let me lose some weight first". Which probably won't happen. It can be discouraging.

Nov 09 12 04:59 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Boston, Massachusetts, US

RbccaJay wrote:
How does one find jobs? And how does one find photographers who would like to work with a plus size model?

I find TF or paid work on here and my FB page, or sometimes they find me. I did work with one photographer I found on Craigslist. Don't think at my age I will ever be in print, but I love doing it.

My thoughts are too lengthy and I have been bashed before like "I had the plague" for mentioning them. lol

Good luck with your new ventures.

Nov 09 12 05:07 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Christie Doll Face wrote:
but a lot of photgraphers on this site are mean about my size so I do not really reply to ads much.

I hope that ends soon, you can't listen to everyone. You have to do what you want to do and let no one stop you.

XOXO

Nov 09 12 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Images by MR

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

RbccaJay wrote:
Hiya!
I'd like to start a convo about plus size modeling, and I have a few questions. I've been a HMUA for about 15 years..recently a friend of mine, who happens to be a photographer talked me into a shoot, just for fun. Oh, I am plus sized.
The feedback from that shoot was AMAZING! I honestly never thought modeling was something I could do, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
What are your thoughts on plus size modeling? How does one find jobs? And how does one find photographers who would like to work with a plus size model? I ask because I've had some photogs react to the idea as if I had the plague!ANY & ALL tips, comments or questions are welcome!!
Thank you so much!

Without knowing what you look like & body stats are it's hard to give any advice.

You should check out this site & see where you fit in provided you're a true plus size model.

http://www.newmodels.com/

Plus size models
http://www.newmodels.com/Plus.html

Just my thoughts ~ MR

Nov 09 12 05:19 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

One thought... because so many post it.

Written in 2007 and it is going to be 2013. There are models that are in actual Plus Size Fashion print, catalog, and editorial that do not fit that standard. No they haven't been modeling since childhood either.

http://www.plus-model-mag.com/, they have a Facebook Fan Page and answer questions about modeling frequently.

Nov 09 12 05:26 pm Link

Model

TinRoses

Logansport, Indiana, US

Sabine  wrote:
One thought...

Written in 2007 and it is going to be 2013. There are models that are in actual Plus Size Fashion print, catalog, and editorial that do not fit that standard in the link. No they haven't been modeling since childhood either.

What she said. Right now one of the highest paid models in plus size fashion is 5'3" and 200lbs.

Plus Size Magazine and Daily Venus Diva are two GREAT resources to subscribe to. They have advanced the world of plus modeling and have interviewed women that would make the MM "fat haters" and "Plus Size Manual" pushers curl up and die. DO NOT, NEVER EVER LISTEN TO THEM!!! You'd be surprised who and what size walked the runways in high demand at Full Figured Fashion Week smile

Nov 09 12 05:30 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

TinRoses wrote:
Right now one of the highest paid models in plus size fashion is 5'3" and 200lbs.

As for the model you are talking about, she said this today on her Facebook Fan Page:

"For aspiring models: You don't have to be with an agency to be a successful, professional model. I have accomplished SO much on my own despite being unsigned. I also know plenty of agency models that don't work at all. So aspire to be your best & do what works for YOU-Not what everyone says you should be."

TinRoses wrote:
You'd be surprised who and what size walked the runways in high demand at Full Figured Fashion Week smile

They do. I tried getting in last year for a last minute size 22/24.

I forgot to add...

Not only to mention there are designers that use different Plus Size models of different heights and sizes. Monif C., Domino Dollhouse, Pinup Girl Clothing... just to name a few. Full Figure Fashion week starts looking around this time, so keep an eye out. Most castings are found on Facebook.

You can also watch Curvy Girls on NuvoTV's website. They had a show shot in the summer that talks about this industry. One of the models on there was not standard, she gets a ton of work, and is very talented. Some of it is staged, but it gives you plenty of information of what to expect.

Nov 09 12 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Carolina Goddess wrote:
I too am plus sized. There is work out there and there are even some photographers that prefer to work with us. (only a few) but still... Keep at it. I just read an article on plus sized models the other day. It was somewhat discouraging but I refuse to give up. First of all it is so damn much fun. Second you can get some amazing images. Did I mention how much fun it is and you can make a little money at it as well!

My thoughts on plus-size modeling are that, as in the case of this post, from a 5' 5" model...that many models don't understand what plus-size modeling actually is and they're using it as a catch-all term to describe someone who doesn't conform to fashion standards.

Being overweight doesn't make one a plus-size model. Just as being skinny doesn't make one a fashion model.

Just as with fashion standards, plus-size has standards as well. Usually that's between 5'8"-6'0 and proportionate.

Nov 09 12 05:40 pm Link

Model

christiecreepydolls

Los Angeles, California, US

Eric Jackson wrote:
Strange thing whenever I approach plus size models about doing a shoot, more often than not they reply back with..."Let me lose some weight first". Which probably won't happen. It can be discouraging.

I feel more insecure with loose skin! LOL

Nov 09 12 07:18 pm Link

Model

olgaplusmodel

New York, New York, US

I am celebrity plus model, actress and journalist.
I have for plus size magazines like Daily Venus Diva, have been with them for over 9 years, as well as for Just as beautiful.

Take a look at my images. All my images have been with photograhpers that NEVER shot plus before. I enjoy the challenge.

I am not 5'9 but I still made it work.
Do you research, choose great make-up and hair and stylist.

You can inbox me if you need some direction with this.

I wish you all the best and no matter what society may say or the haters, Plus Size Modeling is here to stay and grow rapidly!

Curvaciously Yours,
Olga

www.curvaciouslyyours.com

Nov 11 12 08:07 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

olgaplusmodel wrote:
I have for plus size magazines like Daily Venus Diva, have been with them for over 9 years, as well as for Just as beautiful.

Take a look at my images. All my images have been with photograhpers that NEVER shot plus before. I enjoy the challenge.

I wish you all the best and no matter what society may say or the haters, Plus Size Modeling is here to stay and grow rapidly!

Curvaciously Yours,
Olga

You are a celebrity? Sorry, never heard of you. Just because you landed some jobs does not make you famous. lmao.

Nov 11 12 08:18 am Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

Back to the OP. What most people here fail to recognize is that there is a huge difference between fashion and other modeling. Do you want to be a fashion model, or just make art? It seems everyone automatically assumes all models want to do runway. I sure as hell don't. lol

Nov 11 12 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Frances Jewel wrote:

You are a celebrity? Sorry, never heard of you. Just because you landed some jobs does not make you famous. lmao.

haha *loves!*
you took the words right out of my mouth.
maybe the photographer told her "i'll make you famous"

Nov 11 12 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Sabine  wrote:
One thought... because so many post it.

Written in 2007 and it is going to be 2013.

and it's still accurate! it's also not the only source that will tell you those stats are basically the industry standard.
other fashion models' requirements have not changed in a long time either.

of all the models that posted in this thread so far, only 1 (at 5'9 and 155lbs) is close to fashion standards for plus size modeling.

everyone else are just plus sized people.
which doesnt mean you can't model, you can.
just educate yourself and stop calling yourself a plus sized model.

Nov 11 12 12:12 pm Link

Model

TinRoses

Logansport, Indiana, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

and it's still accurate! it's also not the only source that will tell you those stats are basically the industry standard.

of all the models that posted in this thread so far, only 1 (at 5'9 and 155lbs) is close to fashion standards for plus size modeling.

Oh good! I'll be sure to tell my clients that hire me for catalog and runway work that I'm not a plus size model, just a fatty who looks good in front of a camera!

No that's not still the "standard" as noted, the top paid plus size model right now is 5'3" and I believe 200lbs. She was JUST interviewed by Plus Size Magazine which is THE magazine for Plus Size fashion. I follow what they say is standard since they're the voice of the industry.

Nov 11 12 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

GNapp Studios

Somerville, New Jersey, US

A plus size model has to be perfect...not good, perfect.

A figure that is proportional.  The key to the figure is proportional, figure is larger but proportional.

And the face and smile have to stand out...perfect.

Here is an example:

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100719/16/4c44ddd97700a_m.jpg

Nov 11 12 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

TinRoses wrote:
Oh good! I'll be sure to tell my clients that hire me for catalog and runway work that I'm not a plus size model, just a fatty who looks good in front of a camera!

No that's not still the "standard" as noted, the top paid plus size model right now is 5'3" and I believe 200lbs. She was JUST interviewed by Plus Size Magazine which is THE magazine for Plus Size fashion. I follow what they say is standard since they're the voice of the industry.

I've never heard of the magazine you mention, and please provide a link to who this supposed model is? ...and the magazine if possible.

I can list a few noteable plus sized fashion models that raked in a lot of cash, but they are 5'9 ~ 5'10 range.

Your BMI is about 35, which puts you in the “Obese” range. If you want to use the word "fatty" you can, but i'm not sure if that would go over well with your clients.

Nov 11 12 02:50 pm Link

Model

Miss Kiki D

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

I am a curvier girl...model and photographer. I still find it hard to find other photographers who know how to shoot me. I find that when I shoot myself I know the angles I'm looking for. I also find that alot of male photographers don't pay attention to those angles..so it's important to find one who does.  Sometimes I look like I'm 130lbs....and then some make me look like i'm 300lbs...so again..it all depends on angles for sure as well as poses. Never put your arms up for one...and if you turn your legs inward it tends to make them look smaller. Easier to demonstrate poses then posting here lol Hope this at least helps somewhat.
Women are beautiful in all shapes and sizes!!

Nov 11 12 02:59 pm Link

Model

TaylorStorm

Deal, England, United Kingdom

I know many plus sized models and they love it, and have gained so much confidence for it. Ive seen one plus size model get more shoots than lots of models put together smile
Not sure if shes on here, but her name's kellie waller, speak to her smile

Nov 11 12 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Katya Zharkova
Height
5 ft 10 in
Dress size
12-14 (US)
Wilhelmina Models
https://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luk75u1OWD1qkutnbo1_500.jpg

Amy Lemons
Height
5 ft 11 in
Dress size
8-10
https://www.supermodelblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Any-Lemons.jpeg

Ashley Graham
Height
5 ft 9 in
Dress size
https://cherrywoodburn.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ashley-graham-590.jpg

Crystal Renn
Height
5 ft 9 in
Dress size
Manager
Ford Models
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XxRJollAgLQ/S8SUSIChEEI/AAAAAAAAAdk/G2gjyO0q_vA/s320/crystal_renn_glamour.png

Nov 11 12 03:18 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Paolo Diavolo wrote:

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
I've never heard of the magazine you mention, and please provide a link to who this supposed model is? ...and the magazine if possible.

I can list a few noteable plus sized fashion models that raked in a lot of cash, but they are 5'9 ~ 5'10 range.

Your BMI is about 35, which puts you in the “Obese” range. If you want to use the word "fatty" you can, but i'm not sure if that would go over well with your clients.

Sure lets educate ourselves on a link that is 6 years old. Not. It is best to stick with current facts of information. Especially, from people who ACTUALLY work in the Plus Size Industry. I find it funny that you posted two spreads from PMM to compare. Which is typical. O_o

It just goes to show you haven't heard of it, because: 

1. You don't work in the Plus Size Industry.

2. You are not a consumer of Plus Size Fashion.

Why don't you do your own research on current facts, instead of bashing with the negative weight commentary.

Nov 11 12 05:07 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

olgaplusmodel wrote:

Curvaciously Yours,
Olga

I read Daily Venus, thanks for sharing. I will check out the other one.

Nov 11 12 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Sabine  wrote:
Educating myself on a link that is 6 years old? I think I will stick with the current information from people that work in the Plus Size industry and not what people post on a forum on MM.

What does weight have to do with anything? BMI is not accurate either.

You haven't heard of names, magazines, and such... because you don't work in the Plus Size industry or are shopper of these fashions. O_o You just posted pictures that were in the magazine lmao!

Why don't you do your research on current facts, instead of asking everyone to prove it for you and coming with the weight commentary.

GEEZ! thanks for telling me where i work, who i dont know, and what magazines i don't read. How do you know me again?

Not long ago i shot a plus sized model (she's 5'10 170lbs) for a magazine it'll be published in their december issue. Did you know that too?

I was asking for links because I've never heard of a 5'3 200lbs plus model being the 'highest paid plus model' as was mentioned. Certainly if this person gained such noteriety i would be able to find something online, seen the model in advertisements / articles etc. So i asked for information.

Just because something was written a few years ago, doesnt mean its not still accurate.

Regardless, heres a newer link from a PLUS Model Magazine:
http://www.plus-model-mag.com/2012/05/d … -modeling/
This article is 6 months old.

the BMI i posted was accurate for the model I was responding to. she asked if she should call herself "fatty"  which i said was not adviseable for her clients, but its her call:

TinRoses wrote:

i never bashed her about her weight.

Nov 11 12 05:46 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
GEEZ! thanks for telling me where i work, who i dont know, and what magazines i don't read. How do you know me again?

Not long ago i shot a plus sized model (she's 5'10 170lbs) for a magazine it'll be published in their december issue. Did you know that too?

I was asking for links because I've never heard of a 5'3 200lbs plus model being the 'highest paid plus model' as was mentioned. Certainly if this person gained such noteriety i would be able to find something online, seen the model in advertisements / articles etc. So i asked for information.

Just because something was written a few years ago, doesnt mean its not still accurate.

Regardless, heres a newer link from a PLUS Model Magazine:
http://www.plus-model-mag.com/2012/05/d … -modeling/
This article is 6 months old, and the info is the same as it was 5+ years ago.

the BMI i posted was accurate for the model I was responding to. she asked if she should call herself "fatty"  which i said was not adviseable:

i never bashed her about her weight.

It is not the same information as there was in the newmodels link. The post wasn't just for you. I just quoted what you said. We would never cross paths so I would not ever know you. You don't know me either.

People are always like "isn't that magazine crap." or "I never heard of it." It is impossible not every model is agency signed or published in Vogue.

You told her BMI is 35 and she was obese. O_o

If you work for the magazine you know that there are models that are different heights and sizes in there. SEVERAL. I just don't understand it and should just give up on asking.

Nov 11 12 05:52 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Not everyone is one size and I believe such modeling is lovely. smile

I also believe that there should be elder modeling (older people are cool) but i'm in the minority with that idea. sad

Nov 11 12 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Sabine  wrote:
It is not the same information as there was in the newmodels link.

You're right, Plus Model Mag said an inch taller for criteria:

From NewModels:
General parameters for a plus model are height between 5'8" and 5'11", sizes 10 - 18. (Generally the New York market prefers smaller plus models in the 8-12 range, and the Los Angeles market favors 14/16's.) She must be a fit, toned, proportional hourglass, and have great skin and teeth, just like straight size fashion models. A beautiful smile is a must.

From Plus Model Magazine
Generally, modeling agencies are looking for plus size models who are between 5’9” and 6’0” and wear a size 10/12 to 14/16. Having said that, there ARE plus models who are making a living and do NOT fit the above criteria; I know these women personally and can attest to the fact that they have had to work harder to get to where they are in their careers.

Note: Although PLUS Model Magazine does not work with models smaller than a size 12, there are brands using models as small as size 6!

Nov 11 12 05:58 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Having said that, there ARE plus models who are making a living and do NOT fit the above criteria; I know these women personally and can attest to the fact that they have had to work harder to get to where they are in their careers.

Note: Although PLUS Model Magazine does not work with models smaller than a size 12, there are brands using models as small as size 6!

What sizes? I have seen up to a size 24 and shorter in the magazine. Especially, the ads.

You also forgot to post about the Fit modeling sizes which are different too. Goodness grief.

Nov 11 12 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Sabine  wrote:
You told her BMI is 35 and she was obese. O_o

The number and description was from an online BMI calculator. Which i believe to be accurate based on her stats. I posted it as an alternative to a description she used which i found inappropriate.

TinRoses,
i'm sorry if you found that offensive.

Nov 11 12 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Sabine  wrote:
You also forgot to post about the Fit llamaing. Goodness grief.

WTF? why would i post fit llama standards? Do you want me to post straight llama criteria too? I put a link to the site with that info. I'm not going to post everything on their site in this thread.

Nov 11 12 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

J Ritchie Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

To be honest, I wish there were more plus sized models to shoot with, and that they would be willing to shoot more!  You would be surprised how many people enjoy the look of a woman that has more curves...  Anytime you want to shoot, let me know, I will be happy to shoot with you!

Nov 11 12 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

J Ritchie Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

sorry, double post

Nov 11 12 06:12 pm Link

Model

Sabine Luise

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
WTF? why would i post fit model standards? Do you want me to post straight model criteria too? I put a link to the site with that info. I'm not going to post everything on their site in this thread.

Because, the designers that pay to be in the magazine use models with those sizes.

Nov 11 12 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Sabine  wrote:
Why not? You ask everyone else to post this and that.

ok youre just being petty.

i had asked for a link to a model and a magazine because i couldnt find it.

Nov 11 12 06:15 pm Link