Forums > Critique > glamour model action video beach plz critique

Photographer

Sonn

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

This is my third video and each time i try something totally different.

This video i was going for something fast, energetic, and with lots of personality and movement from the model.

This is the first video i have shot at 60fps which gives it a more handy cam feel.

I'm interested to hear any feedback on it, was it interesting, did you watch the whole thing, did you like it?

https://vimeo.com/53406196

Nov 13 12 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Frequently out of focus... music didn't match the subject content... less than flattering angles captured of model subjects.  I'd recommend going back to the drawing board... wink

Nov 13 12 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Sonn

Keeping focus on a moving model on a dslr shooting close to wide open is hard lol, my focusing skills will improve the more videos i shoot.
Also right now i like playing around with throwing stuff in and out of focus like at the end when she is looking out to sea...

I liked that song with the footage though.
Its "the feel good hit of the summer" by QOTSA
with footage of a girl at the beach in summer...

Nov 13 12 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

If you have to explain your likes and dislikes and why you did something wrong then chances are pretty good the end product misses the mark

Good luck

Nov 13 12 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Select Models wrote:
Frequently out of focus... music didn't match the subject content... less than flattering angles captured of model subjects.  I'd recommend going back to the drawing board... wink

This.

That was pretty much unwatchable.

Nov 13 12 04:50 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Crack The Sky wrote:
Also right now i like playing around with throwing stuff in and out of focus like at the end when she is looking out to sea...

Glad you enjoyed it. It was annoying as hell to watch.

Nov 13 12 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Deleted Account1177

'Ajmān, 'Ajmān, United Arab Emirates

Disclaimer: I watched this without the sound, no speakers here.. Looked like a bunch of random shots pasted together. No flow, rhythm, or style. I think I even saw a flash of black between shots, really sloppy. The focus thing is seriously distracting, and definitely looks like a technical problem.. not a style choice. Shooting video on a DSLR, while wide open, is really tough on your focus skills.. Stop down a few steps, and make your life easier. If you want to do focus moves, and shifts, you need to have something else in the frame to motivate the move.. Not just sky either, but maybe another model? Maybe objects or foliage in the foreground or background? Also, don't snap back and forth so much. Practice your camera movement.. it looks like your shooting from a tripod but your pans are really jerky.. Really practice smooth movement. A good thing to try is dissolving to a move already in progress, and dissolving away before it finishes.. Eliminates any herky jerky starts and stops.

Did you do any color work in post? I think your image quality/color profile is pretty good. The shots of the model in water could use work but the stuff up on the dock/pier have a good look to them. I don't think 60fps works for this style video.. I would really suggest sticking with 30, or if you can, 24..

Also, choose a name for your video on vimeo.. Unless you wanted it called Sequence 01 13 ?

Nov 13 12 06:16 am Link

Photographer

Sonn

Chuck Ibey wrote:
Disclaimer: I watched this without the sound, no speakers here.. Looked like a bunch of random shots pasted together. No flow, rhythm, or style. I think I even saw a flash of black between shots, really sloppy. The focus thing is seriously distracting, and definitely looks like a technical problem.. not a style choice. Shooting video on a DSLR, while wide open, is really tough on your focus skills.. Stop down a few steps, and make your life easier. If you want to do focus moves, and shifts, you need to have something else in the frame to motivate the move.. Not just sky either, but maybe another model? Maybe objects or foliage in the foreground or background? Also, don't snap back and forth so much. Practice your camera movement.. it looks like your shooting from a tripod but your pans are really jerky.. Really practice smooth movement. A good thing to try is dissolving to a move already in progress, and dissolving away before it finishes.. Eliminates any herky jerky starts and stops.

Did you do any color work in post? I think your image quality/color profile is pretty good. The shots of the model in water could use work but the stuff up on the dock/pier have a good look to them. I don't think 60fps works for this style video.. I would really suggest sticking with 30, or if you can, 24..

Also, choose a name for your video on vimeo.. Unless you wanted it called Sequence 01 13 ?

Thanks for the detailed feedback, i really liked your video you posted in another thread of the girl in the abandonded buliding.

Nov 13 12 05:05 pm Link

Model

Brightonn

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I thought I could also offer a little advice as I've also edited commercials and put several art films in festivals.  This definitely shows some bad angles of a very shapely model.  She appears inexperienced the way the video is edited - as if you pulled out the bloopers and the behind the scenes shots and only used those.  The one piece swimsuit is strong but does't jive with the red two-piece in style.  I would pick one one as I tend to think of a video as an extended editorial that should tell a bit of a story.

If you went back to the cutting board for a re-edit, why not black and white or somethign to set it apart from a home video look because of the less-than-exotic location.

Nov 14 12 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Swank Photography

Key West, Florida, US

Select Models wrote:

^This is spot on^

Nov 14 12 08:29 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

The model went out of character a number of times.   She looked off camera, dropped her arms or looked bored, like she thought you'd finished shooting.

She needs to keep focused and hold that last pose, or keep in character until  you're done. Those should be edited out and in general I think your edits need to be quicker. 

Did you say "ACTION/CUT" to let her know when you were shooting or finished with a sequence?   

I think your focus changes would have been much more effective if you'd used them sparingly and in a more deliberate manner.  They looked accidental at times. Using them over and over, reminded me of the redundant in/out zooming of the first TV rock and roll broadcasts.   It was all they could think of at the time to try to add excitement to the videos, but became cliched pretty fast.

The story of your video comes across as haphazard.   Try to be more photographic in your composition and lighting.     Try shooting a storyboard with stills.   Work hard to get very strong individual images that will stand on their own. Decide how the image flow will go.   That would greatly improve the visual part when you move to motion.

Did you contact the band and get permission to use the music?

As a professional photographer, I always wonder if permission to use an artists' music was obtained. I know it's tough but remember that is copyrighted music. 

I'm always amazed how photographers be so possessive about their own copyright, yet will use unlicensed music behind their videos.

Nov 14 12 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Sonn

Thanks everyone, all useful feedback.

Nov 14 12 07:20 pm Link