Forums > Critique > 200 photos from 200 shoots

Photographer

Drew Hoshkiw

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Today I uploaded to the VIP account.

Then I did something I've not seen anyone else on here do: I uploaded 200 photos from 200 different photo shoots.

Have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Nov 14 12 02:02 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I realize it's a fun thing to be able to say ''hey, I got 200 photos from 200 different shoots!'' but other than that it has no added value. On the contrary... personally, whenever I see a portfolio like that, it doesn't leave a good impression with me. and people don't check out more than the first 20-30 pictures anyway.

Nov 14 12 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Drew Hoshkiw wrote:
Then I did something I've not seen anyone else on here do: I uploaded 200 photos from 200 different photo shoots.  Have a look and tell me what you think.

Had a look... to be honest with ya... so much of your port looks like the same kind of work over and over again... hmm   Wanna see a port that has 100's of shots from 1000's of different shoots?... click here... wink

Nov 14 12 02:24 am Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Drew Hoshkiw wrote:
(edited)

Then I did something I've not seen anyone else on here do: I uploaded 200 photos from 200 different photo shoots.

Why? A little ego stroke maybe... Hey look at me, I got next to a bunch of girls, some of whom took their clothes off.

Does that make you a better photographer? IMHO, nope.

Nov 14 12 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Camabs

Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands

Drew Hoshkiw wrote:
Then I did something I've not seen anyone else on here do:

There may be a reason for that wink

The message you are conveying is: "Hey, I'm pretty good at taking pictures, but I suck at making choices."

It's not bad per se, as long as your very best pictures meet the eye first and as long as the variety of your work justifies 200 pictures.

Nov 14 12 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Drew Hoshkiw wrote:

Have a look and tell me what you think.

I think:
- you had a lot of fun loading up 200 images without realizing it's not as fun for us to view those 200 images.

- you're trying to impress us with volume. As you might tell from the responses so far, that's a counterproductive strategy.

- the great majority of those images pretty much look the same. Same lighting technique. Same uninspired expressions. Same angles. Same range of poses. You do mostly competent work but you show very little variety in your style. Without variety, thirty images are too much for a portfolio.

Nov 14 12 04:28 am Link

Model

Brightonn

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I've always been told to attempt to post images that derive from a completely different look each (if not a different photographer and shoot) but quantities over 40-50 just take forever to load on some computers and smart phones. 

You do seem to have a nice sense of variety, though there are lots of other avenues to explore like high fashion, vintage glamour, etc.

Nov 14 12 07:39 am Link