Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > "Ransomware" FBI Green Dot Moneypak virus.

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

My laptop was hit yesterday with a virus/worm/ransomware called  "FBI Green Dot Moneypak virus.

it was apparently piggybacked on a website that I found through google (don't remember which site)

I had a current version of "Microsoft Security Essentials' A/V installed and it completely missed it.

I'm curious if anyone else has ben hit with this virus and, if so, what A/V software were you using?

It almost completely locks up your computer.  Presents itself as being from the FBI and attempts to extort $200 from you.

Nov 15 12 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

From what I just read this is a very nasty virus that can destroy everything if not removed quickly.

I had never heard of it so I did a Google search. There are several websites that tell you how to remove it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=FBI+Gre … e&ie=UTF-8

Good luck. I HATE these ransom viruses. The creators, if found and convicted, should do life in prison.

Nov 15 12 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Yep.
Got hit with it on my desktop a couple weeks ago.
Told me I was downloading copyrighted material and told me to pay $200.

It got past MBAM, SpyBot, and IobitCare.

Had to get Hitman Pro.  Great program. Only 20 bucks a year.

Nov 15 12 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

MN camera

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

I fixed a friend's machine a month or so ago. 

Disconnect from the internet (essential), restart in Safe Mode, install and run MalwareBytes and let it do its thing.  There are a couple files you'll need to remove afterward, I forget what they are but it's ransomware, not a virus.

Nov 16 12 02:24 am Link

Artist/Painter

Christopher Willingham

Long Beach, California, US

One of mother's computers had that a couple of months ago.  I just restored the computer to a previous restore point - problem solved.

Nov 16 12 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

Art of CIP wrote:
One of mother's computers had that a couple of months ago.  I just restored the computer to a previous restore point - problem solved.

Thanks, this was how I solved the issue as well.  The ransomware had my computer locked up.  but using the F8 key at boot I was able to get to a more expansive safe mode and was able to find the restore points.

I removed Microsoft Security essentials and put AVG back on my machine.  AVG, even after the restore, found files from the ransomware and removed them.

I appreciate everyones suggestions.

Nov 17 12 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Ed Woodson Photography

Savannah, Georgia, US

Tim Little Photography wrote:
Good luck. I HATE these ransom viruses. The creators, if found and convicted, should do life in prison.

boy, do I agree with this.

Nov 17 12 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Before you go clicking on websites from google searches that claim to tell you how to get rid of the virus...

1) Look for websites and organizations that are well established with recognized reputations. Don't click on anything you don't know anything about.
2) Be sure your anti-virus software is up to date.

smile

Nov 17 12 08:05 am Link