Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > How do I get this person to pay me

Makeup Artist

PaulaMUAH

Houston, Texas, US

Mary wrote:
OK, I know enough... The "agency" owes you the money.... I think I might even know the "agency" you are referring to.... It sounds like a Photo mill agency... the scummy agencies that run ads and accept every "model"?    GET YOUR MONEY NOW... these places (mostly  franchises)  constantly close and reopen leaving massive debt behind under old company names.  They make a lot of money on poor wannabe models. I would be in Small claims at opening time Monday...I would bet you most of the money I have in the bank that you are just one of many artists that they have no intention of paying...  Do some googling on this...Try the agency name with the words "scam" example: "John Casablancas scam"   use the agency name (insert yours)  with the words rip off in google.... I think you'll learn a lot.

DO NOT worry about your reputation when dealing with these types... If I'm correct in assuming this is a photo mill of some kind.  If you ever work for an agency that runs ads for models anywhere and holds photo days to shoot them all.... Get cash up front, don't even take a check

Yes it's one of those agencies. But the thing is, I did quite a bit of research beforehand. There are reviews on yelp/citysearch for the agency online dating back to 2009. They have also been on the BBB for over 3 years, with an A rating. Like I said this photographer has worked with them 8 or so times before (he isn't affiliated with them at all, he lives in another state and just travels to oregon frequently), and the agency has apparently been around for like 13 years? Its not a franchise. The photographer also said that he had worked with the last makeup artist several times there before, but she moved or something.

I get that its a rip off agency, in that they make their models pay for their "classes", portfolios, etc. But I don't know if its quite so bad as to expect it to be suddenly gone tomorrow.

I do trust your judgement though Mary, and I appreciate your input! I will go to the court or a collections agency with it if I don't hear from them by the 21st, which was when I requested to hear back from them in my letter.

Nov 17 12 06:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

PaulaMUAH wrote:

Yes it's one of those agencies. But the thing is, I did quite a bit of research beforehand. There are reviews on yelp/citysearch for the agency online dating back to 2009. They have also been on the BBB for over 3 years, with an A rating. Like I said this photographer has worked with them 8 or so times before (he isn't affiliated with them at all, he lives in another state and just travels to oregon frequently), and the agency has apparently been around for like 13 years? Its not a franchise. The photographer also said that he had worked with the last makeup artist several times there before, but she moved or something.

I get that its a rip off agency, in that they make their models pay for their "classes", portfolios, etc. But I don't know if its quite so bad as to expect it to be suddenly gone tomorrow.

I do trust your judgement though Mary, and I appreciate your input! I will go to the court or a collections agency with it if I don't hear from them by the 21st, which was when I requested to hear back from them in my letter.

Here's my rule of thumb....  When you do business with scammers, you can't expect them to be honest with you, like you're an exception.... You're never an exception

I stay away from anyone and any company that I know scams others...I don't associate with them and  I don't work with them.... for one....they're paying me with what I consider "dirty" money...in my personal view of life, that money comes with bad luck and negative consequences.  Most people would probably not think that way, I'm a little unconventional.....it's the same reason I don't play lotto...I consider it "dirty money"  money some poor soul lost..  I know my views on this are extreme and go back to my unconventional upbringing... but these views of money are in-bedded into my fiber and I have to say....I rarely get burned, when I do I can usually trace it to an error in judgment on my part

Nov 17 12 06:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

oh, and I don't think you need to go to small claims...If they belong to the BBB..file a complaint with the BBB...they will strong arm the company that owes you.  I hate the BBB by the way but making a bad review with the BBB go away can be costly...it's probably cheaper to just pay you... I would try that first.

Nov 17 12 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

PaulaMUAH wrote:
Any suggestions?

1)  Go back in time & have them sign a real contract.  Do this for every job for which you charge $xxx (where "xxx" is certainly less than $500).  Said contract should include a late payment penalty.  Check with your local better business bureau to see if they have boilerplate versions of service contracts.

2)  I believe that it is an adult's responsibility to attempt to resolve disputes on their own.  Be clear & firm, and give them a deadline and let them know the consequences.  For example, a certified letter to them (that they have to sign for) that clearly states that unless you receive the balance of your payment by November 30th (*), you will file a claim in small claims court.  Don't apologize.  Don't embellish.  Be terse, clear, and succinct.  Don't be emotional.  Don't offer compromises.  Be cool.

(*)  Give them a reasonable amount of time to comply -- for example, two weeks.

3)  Never threaten anything unless you intend to follow through.  If you don't get your payment by your deadline, file that small claims court claim.  If you do go to small claims, be prepared -- the side that is better prepared usually wins.  Bring that agreement they signed.  Bring proof that you completed the services they requested.  Evidence is better than witnesses, but if you don't have the evidence, it's good to have witnesses.  Show the judge that you made a good faith attempt to resolve the issue (i.e. the letter & the receipt from #2, above).

4)  Or you can chalk it up as a $360 business lesson.  You could learn about...
     ...  How to identify reliable clients,
     ...  How to write agreements/contracts that are more clear/thorough,
     ...  How to write demand letters,
     ...  etc.

Nov 17 12 06:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

these photo mills are even in buildings here in the Southeast... but they generally hold a Cattle (model) call at some swanky hotel (Opryland) and have ages from babies to older men and women "auditioning" to be picked for their "model training and portfolio building".  you guessed it, everyone is picked and MUST purchase the "star package" of photos, grooming lessons, walking, talking classes, etc.  the poor unassuming gullible person pays them up front, everything.  I'm certain many an MM photographer has used this ploy before.

they do exactly what Mary says and it's a joke.  the only people making a fortune here are the photographers and the mill - everyone else, including the makeup/hair are being used and blown off - i hear this nearly every season how some poor wannabe shilled out thousands for "workshops" and "classes" and "photoshoots for their portfolio"  - PT Barnum was right - there IS a sucker born every minute.

the only way you can not get taken again is not to work with them OR get money up front - LIKE THEY DO.

Mary wrote:
Never heard of explore talent?  I edited above but I will place this here as well just to show people what they need to look for

Here is how you know if you're dealing with a photo mill and not a real agency

Photo mill

Takes all models, every size and look
advertises all over the place
Has google adwords that pop up under "model and your city"
they hold Photo days where they shoot everyone quickly
They have a long list of clients that sound too good to be true
they are very eager to sign each and every model...time is short
They hold conventions to find models
they hang out at malls to recruit young wannabees

Real Agency

getting an in face interview is almost impossible
they advertise to large companies, not models or wannabees
they do NOT hold mass photo shoots
their names appear in major editorials like  "Model, Jane Doe with Ford"

Nov 18 12 05:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

PaulaMUAH

Houston, Texas, US

UPDATE - She called me today after receiving my later and I went over and picked up the money! All of it, cash. I'm so surprised! She was really sincere about it too. I kind of feel like a monster for getting so worked up about it (not to her face, just to myself and you guys) sad

Oh well. I guess I'm happy, but I feel bad. She probably planned on paying me the whole time hah sad

Nov 21 12 05:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

PaulaMUAH wrote:
UPDATE - She called me today after receiving my later and I went over and picked up the money! All of it, cash. I'm so surprised! She was really sincere about it too. I kind of feel like a monster for getting so worked up about it (not to her face, just to myself and you guys) sad

Oh well. I guess I'm happy, but I feel bad. She probably planned on paying me the whole time hah sad

or someone tipped her off....  how many photo mills are there in Oregon smile

Nov 21 12 08:09 pm Link