Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Who am I looking for?

Model

Stephanie Yakir

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hello! I am trying to coordinate a photoshoot inspired by this Halloween costume that I found on the internet:
http://imgur.com/IMO1i

Is the grey scale look something that most MUAs can do? Or should I try contacting the body painting specialty? FX artists?

Nov 18 12 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholas Fischer

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

You can just take a picture normally. Then while in photoshop,  desaturate the photo and then use the history brush to go over everything you want back in color and anything you don't want colored will stay black and white.

Nov 18 12 04:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Stefania

Carlsbad, California, US

Any MUA should be able to achieve this look. smile

Nov 18 12 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

There are more MUA's who do bodypainting than bodypainters. Find one who does both and let the MUA choose the best approach.

In my experience it's best to do as much as you can in the camera, i.e., the unedited image.

Nov 18 12 04:38 pm Link

Model

Stephanie Yakir

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Nicholas Fischer wrote:
You can just take a picture normally. Then while in photoshop,  desaturate the photo and then use the history brush to go over everything you want back in color and anything you don't want colored will stay black and white.

I realize that, but I am trying to capture authenticity. I think there would definitely be a difference in the way the pictures come out in the end that you couldn't just fake.

Nov 18 12 09:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ThirdEyeMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

You don't need to be a bodypainter to achieve this. One of the first shorts I did was shot in color, but everything (makeup, props, set) was in black and white and the shades of grey in between. It's actually is more beautiful than photoshopping b&w later, because you get the gradiation of blacks, whites and greys and there's a certain warmth that emanates through from the lighting.

Here is a still from my shoot: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2610/2 … 251380.jpg

And here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/v/Ka2BuI2zdE8&hl … autoplay=1

I used Make Up For Ever white paint stick for the face (although if i were to do it again, i would probably use Illamasqua Skin base or something similar) and i used only greys and blacks for eye makeup. I did the contouring with grey eyeshadow and mixed white and black makeup with a slightly pink gloss for a grey lipstick that wouldn't be too lifeless.

Nov 18 12 10:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Denise

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Nicholas Fischer wrote:

If the OP wanted to do this in photoshop/post she would have posted this in the Retouchers forum, not the HMS forum.
Great info above from Thirdeye.

Nov 19 12 05:06 am Link