Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Country music

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Just like with politics and religion, folks get mighty passionate about their music!  And just like with politics, I'm an independent who loves all kinds of music. While I was shooting for the Country Music Association, I got to hang out with Willie Nelson. Now Naomi Judd had said in her book, Love Can Build a Bridge" about Willie Nelson ... "he is a great listener!"  This is something I found to be true. I would vote for Willie Nelson as President in a heart beat!!!

Aug 21 05 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

https://k00077.myspace.com/00077/81/31/77911318_l.jpg

A Great Listener builds bridges!

Aug 21 05 04:04 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I hate to get off topic here...but that is one f*cking cute picture. I remember how much I love bunnies.

Aug 21 05 04:15 pm Link

Model

Ocean Jasper

Vatican City, Holy See, Vatican City

Hey Lapis, i know you and you love to get off topic, even though you will eventually circle back to the subject, but this requires patience and faith from your audience. And bunnies really aren't off topic. Bunnies are huge country fans. Even the ones who live in citites really want to run around in the country. And finally there ain't a good bunny country song, but there should be. "He took my honey, my money and ate my bunny, and that ain't funny." Hey Lapis did you know that in France, that being another type of country, they call them lapain, and they stew them in the vegetable they have been stealing.(It's not unkosher but it should be) This reminds me that I have to go back to my book report on Peter Rabbit, a stupid rabbit who steals vegetables from other peoples gardens 123456789..... I'm going to follow the trail of words back to the beginning, which will lead back to the original topic. I too circumnavigate the global topic. In order to get back to West I go East. And west is the road to country music, where the pellets lie, and the air is free, and where the corn muffins grow sky high.  OOPS I almost forgot LOL. I want to make that perfectly clear, clear like a country song, three chords and the truth...

Aug 22 05 10:58 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I just like to watch the videos and see how many blondes are cast as the romantic leads... it cracks me up! Not that I don't like blondes, but it's such a cliche.

Aug 22 05 11:03 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
I just like to watch the videos and see how many blondes are cast as the romantic leads... it cracks me up! Not that I don't like blondes, but it's such a cliche.

Can't get any whiter than blond...

Aug 22 05 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I would vote for Willie Nelson as President in a heart beat!!!

With his history of tax evasion and drug use, he'd be a shoo-in.

Aug 22 05 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
Going to see "Emerson Drive" tomorrow.

http://www.country925.com/pages/entertainment.html

I am not a big country fan by any means but this band was good. The new song they played that was never played in front of anybody before was excellent and will be on thier new CD when it comes out.
The whole band put on a really good show. Not the usual stand in one spot type band, they were all over the stage and got the crowd involved.

Aug 22 05 11:19 am Link

Photographer

slushy gurl

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A lisstt memmmber postted :  " ... they are unwilling to distinguish good country music from bad  ... "

OMg , there's a diference ?????  ( inssertinng HUGE evil grin )

slushy gurl

Aug 22 05 12:50 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

slushy gurl wrote:
A lisstt memmmber postted :  " ... they are unwilling to distinguish good country music from bad  ... "

slushy gurl

Other than the spelling flaws which we will overlook...me think you doth protest to much...I think you are a closet country fan...listening when no one else is around, knowing it would destroy your reputation as a punk rock hard ass, and yet, yet, you are uncontrollably drawn to the music that is labelled as 'country'. You secretly go to record shops, checking out the country labels on the sly...

Aug 22 05 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

slushy gurl wrote:

slushy gurl

I don't think the White Stripes would have hung out with Loretta Lynn or Rick Rubin with Johnny Cash if there wasn't.

Aug 22 05 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

hmm lots of good stuff amonst the SHITE...40's, 50's, 60's is easy....Webb Peirce, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins, George Jones, if we're including Bluegrass (how can u not) Bill Monroe, Stanley Brothers, Osbourne Brothers, Mac Wiseman,Flatt and Scruggs, Lilly Brothers, Louvin Brothers, Jim and Jesse, Country Gentleman, man so much GREAT stuff...modern ..welll I always enjoy Dwight Yoakam, Raul Malo solo and The Mavericks, Hanna McEuen (Jaime Hanna is from The MAvericks and his pop formed the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), New Dolly Parton records are AMAZING as are her very old records. guess I could mention a whole bunch of others...

Aug 22 05 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

country is the devils music.

Aug 22 05 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

slushy gurl

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It was wrritenn :  " ... Other than the spelling flaws which we will overlook...me think you doth protest to much...I think you are a closet country fan...listening when no one else is around, knowing it would destroy your reputation as a punk rock hard ass, and yet, yet, you are uncontrollably drawn to the music that is labelled as 'country'. You secretly go to record shops, checking out the country labels on the sly...
... "

OK , i want the name of the perrson who hired you to having me folowwed . Can't a gurl have ANY secrrets any more ?

WAIT A SECOOND ,,,,,,, I DON'T drive a pick me up truck  ,

slushy gurl

Aug 22 05 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

In the last 10 years, only one category of music has seen positive growth in total sales each year:  Country.  At the rate it's growing in popularity, it will soon out-sell all others in the U.S.

Aug 22 05 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

IndianaGlamour wrote:
In the last 10 years, only one category of music has seen positive growth in total sales each year:  Country.  At the rate it's growing in popularity, it will soon out-sell all others in the U.S.

The real statistics over the past 10 years (through close of 2003)

Aug 22 05 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

area291 wrote:

so, it's actually gone down over the last 10 years
it had gone up to that point I believe.  It was about '93 that they (the RIAA) started using Soundscan to chart sales as opposed to store clerks marking up surveys with their "reality"...lol

Aug 23 05 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Delete This

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

area291 wrote:

Still humiliating yourself?  I received 3 messages from other MM members last night suggesting that you should be banned.  Is that what you want?

The information I provided was factual.  What you provided was what kids always provide to "prove" their "facts"....a link.  It makes you look like a kid.  Is that what you want?

We keep telling you but you don't seem to get it.

Aug 23 05 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I wet the bed wrote:

Still humiliating yourself?  I received 3 messages from other MM members last night suggesting that you should be banned.  Is that what you want?

The information I provided was factual.  What you provided was what kids always provide to "prove" their "facts"....a link.  It makes you look like a kid.  Is that what you want?

We keep telling you but you don't seem to get it.

I don't get it.  Does the RIAA not know about music sales?  Whay does that have to do with banning someone?

Aug 23 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

davec81z

Madison Heights, Michigan, US

Used to not like country either. Then I started shooting for the local country station & now I have to say I like "some" of it. Not in to the crying in your beer & my dog died stuff. Shooting a concert with "Sugarland" Friday & I've met: Big & Rich, Warren Bros, Keith Urban, Trace Atkins & a lot of others. But I think country now is a lot like some of the older rock, like to Doobie Brothers & along that line.   Dave

Aug 23 05 08:21 am Link

Photographer

davec81z

Madison Heights, Michigan, US

Oh by the way, Emerson Drive put's on a hell of a show! And if it's a club they're playing in, they usually come out after the show & meet everybody. At least they did here.    Dave

Aug 23 05 08:24 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I wet the bed wrote:
The information I provided was factual.

Based on what?

Aug 23 05 08:29 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

OK.

As a musician, I would like to point out that people that can read music listen to classical and jazz, yet those two art forms amout to only 3% to 5% of total music sales.

People who can't read music (illiterate) listen to whatever is fed to them.

This discussion amounts to a conversation about which comic book is better.

Aug 23 05 08:37 am Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

Christopher Wright wrote:

Try a band called Rascal Flatts. If you didn't love country before hearing them you sure as hell will after hearing them.

I saw the Rascal Flatts video......Here's to you . They did some foot-stomping music.

Aug 23 05 08:48 am Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

I don't think the White Stripes would have hung out with Loretta Lynn or Rick Rubin with Johnny Cash if there wasn't.

Never thought I'd see Bret Micheals judge a country talent search....hear he's crossing over to do a country album.

Aug 23 05 08:54 am Link

Photographer

CSI-PHOTO

Trenton, Michigan, US

Saw Big & Rich last week. Excellent....excellent.

Sep 06 05 02:18 pm Link