Forums > Photography Talk > Filter Quality

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

Is there any significant difference between a low-end filter and a high-end filter from the same manufacturer?  I know that the high-end models preach an advanced multi-coating design, but is this a real and practical advantage that will justify their higher costs?...Thanks!

Aug 19 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

William Herbert

Bryan, Ohio, US

HenryS wrote:
Is there any significant difference between a low-end filter and a high-end filter from the same manufacturer?  I know that the high-end models preach an advanced multi-coating design, but is this a real and practical advantage that will justify their higher costs?...Thanks!

The Multi Resistant coating is supposed to attract less dirt and dust.(slippery?) More resistant to scratching as well. That is what I understand. If you read something different post it please.

Aug 19 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

If I remember correctly, the biggest difference as I know is how much light they allow in. (very similar to your lenes) The lower end is about 95% where as the upper end is closer to 99+% Then there of course is the glass quality as well as the coatings, and whether they are coated on either side and so on. Will the avarage person see the difference? Probably not wink

Aug 19 05 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

high end filters are thicker... like Henry said, they are multicoated.

Aug 20 05 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

HenryS

BRONX, New York, US

* Visual Mindscapes * wrote:
high end filters are thicker... like Henry said, they are multicoated.

Thanks. Any idea if that coating and extra glass and extra cost translate into a better value? 

My understanding is that the multicoatings help to better squash reflections when struck by perpendicular sunlight, but that mighn't be a frequent concern, or a problem oft solved by a sunshade, except on short focal lengths.

Aug 20 05 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

If you have the money, buy B&W filters. Quality does not only mean the glass of the filter but the metal that surrounds it. B+w  filters are made of brass and they screw on to your lens with ease.

I personally never use filters in front of my lenses unless I absolutely have to. This means that I may use:

1. A polarizer
2. A deep red filter for b+w infrared film
3. A green filter for making men more manly (1)4.
4. A yellow filter when I shoot b+w landscapes.

I see no actual noticeable use for UV filters or skylight filters if you shoot negative film or digital. No matter how good the filter it still presents another piece of glass between reality and your ccd or your film.

Aug 20 05 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Oakley

Cocoa, Florida, US

alexwh wrote:
If you have the money, buy B&W filters. Quality does not only mean the glass of the filter but the metal that surrounds it. B+w  filters are made of brass and they screw on to your lens with ease.

I personally never use filters in front of my lenses unless I absolutely have to. This means that I may use:

1. A polarizer
2. A deep red filter for b+w infrared film
3. A green filter for making men more manly (1)4.
4. A yellow filter when I shoot b+w landscapes.

I see no actual noticeable use for UV filters or skylight filters if you shoot negative film or digital. No matter how good the filter it still presents another piece of glass between reality and your ccd or your film.

i agree alex i have a few b+w filters and love them.. there made to last as long as you dont drop them on concret.. wink thank god this hasnt happend yet to me.. lol..

chris

Aug 21 05 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Multicoating also helps prevent reflections in digital where the light bounces off the sensor, then back off the filter to the sensor again - or so we are led to believe.

Aug 22 05 01:09 am Link