Forums > Photography Talk > Gretag question

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

I may be able to purchase a Gretag color management system.  Has anyone heard of them and how is the quality?  Thanks in advance.
I've got more research to do on this one.

Aug 19 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

As far as I know, GretagMacbeth is pretty much the standard in color.  What is included in the color management system?

Aug 19 05 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

My SF lab, Robyn Color uses Gretag Eye-on for color management, so I've only seen it being used and am able to coordinate color talbes with the PM.

Since GretagMacbeth systems are a few bucks, I'd post on a request on PDN or ASMP to find an expert in color management, get some references and get their advice.

Aug 19 05 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Gretag-Macbeth is probably the most established of the color management companies selling to consumers--they're certainly among the top ones. (There's really only 3 major players today: Gretag-Macbeth, Monaco, and ColorVision.)

I've used the GM eye-One Photo system to calibrate monitors (CRT and LCD), inkjet printers, and RA-4 printers, and have had excellent results.

Other choices for display calibration:  Monaco's Optix XR (Excellent), and  ColorVision's v2 Spyder (Very Good).

Other choices for printer calibration: Monaco's EZColor (very poor), Pulse (Excellent), ColorVision's PrintFix (very poor).

I haven't heard of anything bad about GM's products, and I've been working with color management for a few years now.

Aug 19 05 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Dudley Watson

Roseburg, Oregon, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
What is included in the color management system?

This was an unopend box, still sealed until today, being sold by a guy who had it bundled in with a color printer he bought a while back.  He's not giving it away free, but selling it way below market price.  I think I fell into a great deal!

Thanks to everyone who replyed.

Aug 19 05 11:38 pm Link