Forums > Critique > Does your work stand out?

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

smile I would love to hear your half ass attempt to explain me what my portfolio still needs?

Dec 01 12 05:27 am Link

Model

Miroslava Svoboda

Seattle, Washington, US

Personally I think it's just barely beginning to shows signs of life but be my guest. smile

Dec 01 12 05:29 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

New Bedford, Massachusetts, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Go ahead!

I dig it. I really enjoy work from photographers who appear to be at heart portrait photographers, but bring that ability of letting the model's personality shine through in the images across multiple genres. YOu do that very well.

Every image allows for some emotional connection, and that is my favorite way to experience people's work. So for this I will say fantastic work!

I am finding myself really hard pressed in choosing a stand out image in your portfolio- not because no images do stand out- but that there are several that do.

Great work!

Dec 01 12 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Maria Susanti wrote:
tell me pls?

Similar to what I said to someone earlier- I feel split with your portfolio. You have a very lovely face, so for that, I would say fantastic-ish.

For your overall portfolio- there is nothing that stands out beyond meh for me. You have cute images, pretty images, creative images, and the quality is good, but not fantastic.

I like this image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29950515

Dec 01 12 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Paul Tirado Photography wrote:
Take a look and let me know. Thank you for your time and opinion.

I have seen your portfolio several times, and believe I have commented on work that stood out to me. So you are easily in my fantastic world!

You are another photographer who is great with bringing out expression and personality in your models. Your lighting and post work are spot on. I love your composition choices.

This image I love! https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/20422565

Dec 01 12 05:45 am Link

Photographer

kitty_empire

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Oh. Do me!

Dec 01 12 05:47 am Link

Photographer

EMB Images

Delmar, Delaware, US

I have the big boy pants on, Im ready

Dec 01 12 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

_eMMe_ wrote:
I'm a big girl. Let's go!
And give me suggestion about some new shots I can do!

I am starting to feel like a broken record here, but you are another one that I will say has a fantastic look but a meh protfolio. I do like the diversity of the images in your portfolio, and you are great at expression. But there are no images that stand out as fantastic.

New shots you could do- I think you should find a photographer, an MUA, and a wardrobe stylist and do a highly conceptualized editorial shoot. A team that could really bring out your face, and expression. I am feeling a sort of victorian inspired with a modern twist image. Elegant, with a hint of edge. Cool tones, and some textured feel.

If I were to be working with you there are a lot of ideas that would come to my head smile

I like you in this image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27723644

Dec 01 12 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Lucid-Grafx Photography wrote:

OK- so I was not so excited to dive into your portfolio at first glance of your avatar- and figured it was going to be a meh experience. But then when I got indside I had a change of heart. There are some great images in your port! I will say that I like your non nude work more than your nude- as it is more expressive and dynamic. I see some great lighting and composition around your page.

I will go with fantastic.

THis image stood out for me: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/28810089

That's a good thing... Thanks so much smile

Dec 01 12 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Axioma wrote:
smile I would love to hear your half ass attempt to explain me what my portfolio still needs?

Well, the blatantly obvious thing your portfolio needs are images where we are working together!

But all seriousness... my half assed attempt...

I have seen your porfile many times on here, and alwasy has been one I am drawn to and impressed by. But am wanting to be constructive. I think your portfolio still needs a little bit of trimming, as there are images that do not ad anything to your skills etc. I would like to see images that bring your dynamic poses to the next level, and make us really say wow. Don't get me wrong, your posing is great- but it feels like there is somehting held back.

Maybe some more location/non studio shots. Maybe that interaction with the surroundings will make me feel that your poses are fantastic. Use the space in which you dwell...

Overall, strong quality portfolio that is a pleasure to view.

I have loved this image for a while now : https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/21634979

Dec 01 12 06:01 am Link

Model

LisaInLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

Does it?

Dec 01 12 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Miroslava Svoboda wrote:
Personally I think it's just barely beginning to shows signs of life but be my guest. smile

I think I will have to agree with you, and for the moment I will have to say meh. I would love to see you push yourself into more dynamic energy and bring that life into your images. And also push the photographers you work with- err, actually I mean choose photographers that will push you to the next level and have great concepts to bring to the table and could capture you better than you have been thus far.

You have a great look about you, and it seems you could do a lot with that.

You are not too far away from some stand out images!

Dec 01 12 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

If you are not bored saying, it's a good thing you are still going> tell me if you like , or which ones not.

Dec 01 12 06:07 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

intense puppy wrote:
Oh. Do me!

I like quirky, edgy, creative outside the box work, and see hints of that in your portfolio- but I do not feel you have reached your potential of the creativity you likely have. Maybe you have a lot of work outside your portfolio- but based on what is in there I am left wondering where the great stuff is? I will go with meh, with the definite potential for fantastic- in your own style.

I am always a sucker for polaroids, so your polaroid set stood out for me...

Dec 01 12 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

EMB Images wrote:
I have the big boy pants on, Im ready

Good! Cuz you are going to need them wink

In looking through your portfolio I am feeling the full sprectrum from blah, to meh, to for a couple images fantastic. So I will average it all out and go with meh.

The blah images are probably just personal taste, but they feel cliche in a way that is not lendining to a kitschy feel. (and hey, I like kitsch!)

The bulk of your portfolio stands as meh. Feels repetative and like there is something you forgot to express when you were doing the images.

A couple are sorta fantastic though: I like this one- https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8286205

Dec 01 12 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

LizaK wrote:
Does it?

You are balancing on the delicate edge of meh and fantastic. There are some images in your portfolio I am liking, and I really like your overall look. But nothing yet is standing out for me. Quality is good. Variety is good. But just feels like there could be some more magic.

I think you are very close though, and working with some additional photographers will pull you over into full on fantastic.

I am liking your avatar at the moment...

Dec 01 12 06:24 am Link

Photographer

kitty_empire

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I like quirky, edgy, creative outside the box work, and see hints of that in your portfolio- but I do not feel you have reached your potential of the creativity you likely have. Maybe you have a lot of work outside your portfolio- but based on what is in there I am left wondering where the great stuff is? I will go with meh, with the definite potential for fantastic- in your own style.

I am always a sucker for polaroids, so your polaroid set stood out for me...

Thanks!
I've been doing photography properly for less than a year, so I know full well my port is sketchy at best.

Dec 01 12 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Neil Snape wrote:
If you are not bored saying, it's a good thing you are still going> tell me if you like , or which ones not.

I have long been a fan of your work, and you truely stand out in the MM community and beyond for your work. So easily can say fantastic, and would be a fool to say otherwise.

There are many images I completely adore. So even though I am reluctant to say this based on your work- when I first saw your new avatar I thought it was some sci fi alien light ray coming out of the models eye. Don't get me wrong, once I opened it I felt better, but I kinda had a WTF moment when I first saw it.

There are countless images of yours I would put in the infinitely fantastic category, but will not get into that now.

Dec 01 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

intense puppy wrote:

Thanks!
I've been doing photography properly for less than a year, so I know full well my port is sketchy at best.

You are well on your way!

Dec 01 12 06:37 am Link

Model

Alexia Foxx

Tyler, Texas, US

As promised...

I am going to go split personality here and say that for your looks, I think you have a fantastic look that is one I would totally work with given the chance. But for your current portfolio I would probably go with meh. It is good, and you have some fun creative work, but I think there is something about you that no one is fully capturing yet.

I like your range of expression, and I am not going to say the old, you need to work with better photographers... But you have the look that could be fantastic with good stylists and MUA's

While I cannot say if this image is your best image- it does stand out as one I like from your portfolio: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30379258

I would check back to see your work grow!

Thanks so much for the genuine and valuable feedback! It truly is appreciated!smile

Dec 01 12 06:46 am Link

Model

London, England, United Kingdom

tell me smile

Dec 01 12 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Egle Damulyte wrote:
tell me smile

You have some great images, and a fantastic look! I would truely be happy having you in my portfolio! I look forward to seeing your portfolio grow!

I like the intensity of your profile picture- so I think that is my favorite of yours.

Dec 01 12 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Maria Panina

New York, New York, US

Tell me what you think

Dec 01 12 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Maria Panina wrote:
Tell me what you think

I like dance images. They are hard to pull off, and I have yet to capture one myself that I was satisfied with. YOu are getting there, but I am not feeling you are all the way there yet. You display good technical skills, but I feel like a little more of your personality needs to be present in the images to allow them to feel more expressive (that is unless your personality is technical based) I will go with meh for now- but I think you will move beyond that if you want to.

Dec 01 12 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Eclectic Vision

Toledo, Ohio, US

Please

Dec 01 12 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Eclectic Vision  wrote:
Please

Oh, yours is truely a portfolio that I enjoyed looking through! I love imagery that has a gritty, surreal, close to reality, but just outside of it feel to them, and your portfolio meets all of those things. I will go with fantastic, as I felt excited looking through your images.

I love the boldness of your imagery, your experimentation, and how you view the world through the lens, and share that with the viewer.

I am a little hard pressed to choose one image- but this one keeps jumping out to me: 18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30713029

Dec 01 12 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Christine E Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

I would like to be a part of this... though my big girl pants are more like mom jeans XD  Pulled all the way up to the breasticles.

Dec 01 12 08:10 am Link

Model

Alice A Dylan

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Would love to know your thoughts smile thanks!

Dec 01 12 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Nicole Danielle NDP

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

And I would love to tell!

This is a tough one! I am going to go with meh, as I feel there are inconsistancies in your post work that I find distracting, and pulling me away from those concepts that are unique and express your vision as a photographer. I do like how you are not affraid to try different angles, concepts, and take risks. That makes me feel you are so close to the next step and being fantastic, but not sure you are there yet.

This image stands out for me in expressing where I feel your work could go as far as unique vision and dynamic energy: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/24737175

Dec 01 12 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Nicole Danielle NDP

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Nicole Danielle NDP wrote:

thanks so much lucid I appreciate that..im self taught and I do all of my post work so its trial and error but I love to learn and get better and yes im sorta a risk taker i know I have a long way to go...and photography lets me express everything going on in this head of mine...love your work and im going to keep striving to make to stand out!!!! Is there any you suggest i take out of my port?

Dec 01 12 11:18 am Link

Model

JWest

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Here goes nothing...give it to me straight. smile

Dec 01 12 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

CEE Productions wrote:
I would like to be a part of this... though my big girl pants are more like mom jeans XD  Pulled all the way up to the breasticles.

LOL!

I see a lot of creative vision in your portfolio- a desire to step outside of the norm and experiement with style, technique, post work, and llama selection. I think some of your images pull down the creativity and impact your portfolio has. I see a style developing, but possibly a few of your images are holding on to the past. Or maybe you like a diversity of styles and are not going for one specific style (I go through this all of the time). The images that you have that I see as demonstrating your style I would put as fantastic. This one stands out as such: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29911402

But other images that I do not see your vision and story in feel a bit flat and forced: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29911383

Your work reminds me of a friend of mine, who once she found her voice and style she exploded and is an amazing photographer now. I see that happening for you.

Apparently Sunday morning pre coffee is horoscope styled feedback... big_smile

Dec 02 12 06:02 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Alice A Dylan wrote:
Would love to know your thoughts smile thanks!

I think you have a niche market/genre, based on your lifestyle. It works- you do lolita very well- and have the wardrobe, look, energy, face, atc. to do it. It is hard seeing beyond that to determine your versitality as a model. So for what you do and have demonstrated in your portfolio I will say fantastic, but for anything beyond that I will have to say " uncertain".

Dec 02 12 06:08 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Nicole Danielle NDP wrote:

thanks so much lucid I appreciate that..im self taught and I do all of my post work so its trial and error but I love to learn and get better and yes im sorta a risk taker i know I have a long way to go...and photography lets me express everything going on in this head of mine...love your work and im going to keep striving to make to stand out!!!! Is there any you suggest i take out of my port?

Thank you. Trial and error and taking risks always seems like the way to go in my mind. We make a lot of mistakes along the way, but if we do not even try, and make mistakes, than our growth is just a stagnant lame blah.

I will send you a PM with some thoughts about images in your portfolio. I need coffee before that kind of heavy lifting smile

Dec 02 12 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

Jojo West wrote:
Here goes nothing...give it to me straight. smile

OK- straight it is!

I am going to go with meh. It seems your images show that you could work in a few different genres, but I do not feel they express that you could shoot and work really well in those genres. I do not see anything that excites me. But luckily your images show enough of what you look like that they can serve as a base for coming up with concepts that I would shoot with you- and with your look there is a lot there to work with. So in that I feel your portfolio is effective. Does it excite me as a photogrpaher? No. Does it do its job? Probably.

I think this image expresses a deeper level of ability that the others- 18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30770222

Dec 02 12 06:21 am Link

Photographer

bw fotograf

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

i'm very interested. tomorrow (12/3) will make it 90 days since i shot my first frame with off-camera flash. i don't have enough material yet (getting models to respond to shoot requests is a skill i have not mastered) and find it hard to fill my port up. i also don't understand why some of my shots receive a fair amount of views and comments while others languish, others that took a lot more thought, set up and creativity to produce them.

Dec 02 12 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Lucid-Grafx Photography

bw fotograf wrote:
i'm very interested. tomorrow (12/3) will make it 90 days since i shot my first frame with off-camera flash. i don't have enough material yet (getting models to respond to shoot requests is a skill i have not mastered) and find it hard to fill my port up. i also don't understand why some of my shots receive a fair amount of views and comments while others languish, others that took a lot more thought, set up and creativity to produce them.

Congratulations! Making the leap to off camera flash in a studio is a big step- with lots of learning curve and trial and error. Your lighting seems to be progressins wel. I see you experimenting with some different sets ups- trying out multiple light set ups etc. Is it perfect yet? No. But it appears you have a grasp of how to direct lighting, so now it is about refining it.

Refining makes it tough when you run into your trouble of finding willing models to work with you. That is totally normal, having that challenge. And the larger challenge is finding willing models that will add to your portfolio with their skills. Great lighting on an uncomfortable, inexperienced model is not a great thing- not that a model with less experience cannot look good with direction- but when you are trying to figure out your lighting, and learning how to work with models, an inexperienced model will not naturally produce great results- where as an experienced one most likely would.

Have you considered putting up a casting call for a paid shoot? Or contacting experienced models in your area that require a fee for their time? I know it is tough to get money out for what might be a hobby- but you will see results more quickly if you go in this direction.

As per the portfolio view question. I hate to say it, but my thought reading your question before I even opened your portfolio was that his highest viewed images will be in direct relation to he amount of skin showing. And when I opened up and looked I was correct. A challeneging part of MM is that it is in some sense a market where sex sells over quality. So do not judge your own work on the number of views and comments it gets. Judge it on what you believe to be your best images and the direction you want to be  going in. If you are looking for high comments just put a bunch of naked erotic images up. But I do not see that as your goal. Shoot what you believe in.

Dec 02 12 09:09 am Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

I am starting to feel like a broken record here, but you are another one that I will say has a fantastic look but a meh protfolio. I do like the diversity of the images in your portfolio, and you are great at expression. But there are no images that stand out as fantastic.

New shots you could do- I think you should find a photographer, an MUA, and a wardrobe stylist and do a highly conceptualized editorial shoot. A team that could really bring out your face, and expression. I am feeling a sort of victorian inspired with a modern twist image. Elegant, with a hint of edge. Cool tones, and some textured feel.

If I were to be working with you there are a lot of ideas that would come to my head smile

I like you in this image: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27723644

It will be great to work with and look for great ideas together... A pity for the distance. Hope you will like the shootings I did this week: lot more fashion and concepts than the ones I did before.

Dec 02 12 09:38 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Full pants mode!

Go right ahead. thank you.  big_smile

Dec 02 12 09:46 am Link

Photographer

I Ference Photography

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm in!  As for my question: what should I be looking to do BETTER in future?

Dec 02 12 09:47 am Link