Forums > Critique > Questions-thread!

Model

Axioma

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Ask any question you like. I do not guarantee answers to be: interesting - plausible - coherent.

Why?
Because I can
and also because I shamelessly want attention.

bunny

New Rule:
You can absolutely NOT ask me to rank MM lol

Dec 03 12 06:15 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

OK - what does it take for a photographer to get the best out of you as a model? I guess some approaches/styles/mannerisms work better than others. What fires you up? Is it the preparation or the doing or both? Spontaneous or planned?

Sorry, more than one question but they're kind of related.

Dec 03 12 08:12 am Link

Model

Axioma

T B O L wrote:
OK - what does it take for a photographer to get the best out of you as a model? I guess some approaches/styles/mannerisms work better than others. What fires you up? Is it the preparation or the doing or both? Spontaneous or planned?

Sorry, more than one question but they're kind of related.

Having a port like for instance this guy: https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=386700
So you have nothing but my utter admiration and trust in your vision.
Combine that with passion for the craft and respect for models like this guy.
That usually gets the best out of me as a model smile.

Spontaneous works best, though I like planned better.

What fires me up... Doesn't have much to do with modeling. Unless there's a translation-problem smile.

Dec 03 12 10:27 am Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

What was your main inspiration to model for nudes? Love for the style, compensation, appreciation of the work by others?

And what influenced your decision to "pretty much retire" from modelling, according to your profile? I find it interesting that someone your age would even consider slowing down or stopping, especially since I know of many others who didn't really start until they were quite a bit older including myself.

Dec 03 12 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Why did you change your name? How did you pick this one?

Dec 03 12 11:09 am Link

Model

LisaInLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

How do you find photographers to work with without it tearing you down? I constantly bump against photographers who're all 'yes, we should totally shoot!' but when it comes down to planning a date for a already planned out concept, they no longer answer to anything.

Dec 03 12 11:12 am Link

Model

_eMMe_

Florence, Toscana, Italy

There is a lot of very creative images in your portfolio, beautifull styling, interesting make-up, funny mood.
How much is up to you and how much to the photographers? And how do you melt your ideas?

Dec 03 12 11:14 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Is Belgian chocolate really that much better?

Dec 03 12 11:23 am Link

Photographer

4 R D

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

What photo in your port are you most proud of? Why?

Dec 03 12 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I like your work and your taste -

do you like this?

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30853490

or perhaps this better?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30853273

or neither?

Cheers smile

Dec 03 12 07:01 pm Link

Model

MickCetera

Chicago, Illinois, US

I need to increase my range of expressions... And I want them to look genuine. What do you think about to switch between emotions, or to show such direct, powerful feelings with your face?

Dec 04 12 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

Damnit! When are you coming to L.A.? smile

Dec 04 12 03:25 am Link

Model

Axioma

MatureModelMM wrote:
What was your main inspiration to model for nudes? Love for the style, compensation, appreciation of the work by others?

And what influenced your decision to "pretty much retire" from modelling, according to your profile? I find it interesting that someone your age would even consider slowing down or stopping, especially since I know of many others who didn't really start until they were quite a bit older including myself.

Main inspiration... It kind of just happened. I'm basically cut out to do it; fashion looks horrible on my frame, I didn't see nudes as something "shameful" like many beginner-models do and was drawn to the style of really well done artistic/fashiony nudes very soon. It's also the genre in which I can offer the most to a photographer and can therefore work with really awesome talented people.

My retirement has to do with reasons outside of modeling - I still love it; it's just that my priorities have shifted. Also that I basically have no time for it now I'm going to management school (will graduate in July smile).

Dec 07 12 01:13 pm Link

Model

Axioma

Dan K Photography wrote:
Why did you change your name? How did you pick this one?

I'm not that much of an impulsive person yet I changed my name in an impulse. Also maybe because the intensity of being able to shoot has changed; I feel like I'm in a different phase right now. Could have also picked Mini 2.0, but that didn't sound so catchy. How I picked this one was really trivial, picked a word that I heard in a song that was playing on the radio - and the name was still available. (don't judge big_smile)

Dec 07 12 01:16 pm Link

Model

Axioma

LizaK wrote:
How do you find photographers to work with without it tearing you down? I constantly bump against photographers who're all 'yes, we should totally shoot!' but when it comes down to planning a date for a already planned out concept, they no longer answer to anything.

For trade shoots, it starts with selecting photographers who I admire and can write a really sincere and motivated message to. I also already think about what I can offer them, what could interest them in a collaboration. Why would I expect them to go all out when I'm the one initiating and asking? So basically: know what you want, know what you can do, be realistic in who you can offer what, and be sincere without being too pushy. This prooves to be a quit succesful strategy for me, but of course you can't control how others will react or feel about something - and that's alright too. Accepting that will make it feel less like a 'struggle'.

Dec 07 12 01:22 pm Link

Model

Axioma

_eMMe_ wrote:
There is a lot of very creative images in your portfolio, beautifull styling, interesting make-up, funny mood.
How much is up to you and how much to the photographers? And how do you melt your ideas?

Thank you Emme smile! Most of my stuff I had a pretty good amount of input in, I often do styling and make-up myself. Also, the majority of shots are either based on moodboard I drew up or are a collaborative effort because of improvisation on set. The most important thing (for trade) for me has proven to be: only picking photographers who's vision I trust completely. That way I'm not worrying or doubting and can put all effort and trust in. This for me delivers the best images.

Dec 07 12 01:25 pm Link

Model

Axioma

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Is Belgian chocolate really that much better?

I'm allergic to chocolate so I'm probably not the best person to judge ^^.
The reputation of most Belgian brands is certainly quite high, I'd guess that accounts for something? Besides good marketing.

Dec 07 12 01:27 pm Link

Model

Axioma

4 R D wrote:
What photo in your port are you most proud of? Why?

Such a difficult question... Really couldn't say smile. I have good memories about all pictures that ended up in my portfolio.

Dec 07 12 01:28 pm Link

Model

Axioma

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
I like your work and your taste -

do you like this?

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30853490

or perhaps this better?
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30853273

or neither?

Cheers smile

I'm guessing you deleted the first one. The image behind the second link is beautiful smile. Doesn't seem to have much 'depth' (don't know, don't know too much about technical stuff) but maybe that fits the concept nicely. It's a pretty atmosphere with a pretty colorpallet. I do wish the expression and just the general bodylanguage was a little more exagerated and 'yearning' (translation?)

Dec 07 12 01:32 pm Link

Model

Axioma

MickCetera wrote:
I need to increase my range of expressions... And I want them to look genuine. What do you think about to switch between emotions, or to show such direct, powerful feelings with your face?

It starts with technique: to know which muscles have which effect on your face, which angles are best. best way to find this out is observation in the mirror - then practicing without being able to see (make pictures yourself and compare)

then when you have this down, you can put acting techniques in, and eventually when you become really good, you can put emotion in.

Dec 07 12 01:35 pm Link

Model

Axioma

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
Damnit! When are you coming to L.A.? smile

Still in Paris smile? I'll be over in February!

Dec 07 12 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Axioma wrote:

I'm guessing you deleted the first one. The image behind the second link is beautiful smile. Doesn't seem to have much 'depth' (don't know, don't know too much about technical stuff) but maybe that fits the concept nicely. It's a pretty atmosphere with a pretty colorpallet. I do wish the expression and just the general bodylanguage was a little more exagerated and 'yearning' (translation?)

Oh!  I did take down the one that showed the naughty bits in favour of this one
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/p … 3#30862442

which may have more of the sort of 'yearning' feel you are looking for -

I have a separate port for nakie shots and generally keep them off of my vanilla port.....

Thank you for the opinion -

Dec 07 12 01:46 pm Link

Model

Axioma

my attention levels have not yet been satisfied bunny ^^.

Dec 08 12 01:50 am Link

Photographer

ZEPhoto

Los Angeles, California, US

I have a killer concept and I want someone like you to be my muse. However, I'm still in the starting out phase so I don't have the port to prove I can pull it off even though I know I can. What's the best way to approach someone like you in order to have the highest chance of landing you?

Dec 08 12 02:44 am Link

Model

Axioma

Zombie Eye Photography wrote:
I have a killer concept and I want someone like you to be my muse. However, I'm still in the starting out phase so I don't have the port to prove I can pull it off even though I know I can. What's the best way to approach someone like you in order to have the highest chance of landing you?

thank you for the compliment smile!

Offering to pay rates will work for most experienced models.

If you want the model to reduce her rates or even trade... I guess you'd have to have a good pitch. A (short) sincere and personal message is a good start, explaining the intent of the shoot and why you think that particular model would be the ideal match. I'd also appreciate knowing beforehand what and how much time etc you expect me to invest. Offering to help with transport/meal or other things to make my life easier might help as well. I once had a photographer also include test-shots he made with another model to show me what he had in mind and to convince me of the results (which worked). Hope that helps smile?

Dec 08 12 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

okay - a question for you -

let's use this shot as an example

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27892307

you manage pretty consistently to use your eyes very convincingly -  to avoid the soft detached look even in moody shots.   Do you have a technique, or is it a function of really being engaged and "in the moment"?   

This is very difficult to teach (beyond the bit of looking *through* the lens not at it), if one does not already "have" it...

Dec 08 12 10:47 am Link

Model

Axioma

Fotografica Gregor wrote:
okay - a question for you -

let's use this shot as an example

18+
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/27892307

you manage pretty consistently to use your eyes very convincingly -  to avoid the soft detached look even in moody shots.   Do you have a technique, or is it a function of really being engaged and "in the moment"?   

This is very difficult to teach (beyond the bit of looking *through* the lens not at it), if one does not already "have" it...

love that you notice that, thank you smile!

My technique behind it is pulling the ears back ("smizing") and bringing your eyes 'front', focusing IN the lense (as opposed to normally right next or above) while being aware of not crossing the eyes. If you're doing it really intensely, it might even feel like the irises are vibrating very fast. That's when it'll usually look most intense. Quite important to have a very neutral mouth and no tension in the chin for it to have maximum effect. Bringing chin down to look from 'under the eyebrows' is easiest to get started.

Dec 08 12 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Fotografica Gregor

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Axioma wrote:

love that you notice that, thank you smile!

My technique behind it is pulling the ears back ("smizing") and bringing your eyes 'front', focusing IN the lense (as opposed to normally right next or above) while being aware of not crossing the eyes. If you're doing it really intensely, it might even feel like the irises are vibrating very fast. That's when it'll usually look most intense. Quite important to have a very neutral mouth and no tension in the chin for it to have maximum effect. Bringing chin down to look from 'under the eyebrows' is easiest to get started.

bitteschön  -  and they think that modeling is not "work" smile

Cheers

Dec 08 12 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

What concepts or styles of shoots have you yet to do but have dreamed of doing? What shots of llamas on mm or elsewhere have you deeply admired but yet to have achieved.

Dec 08 12 12:59 pm Link

Model

Axioma

LA StarShooter wrote:
What concepts or styles of shoots have you yet to do but have dreamed of doing? What shots of models on mm or elsewhere have you deeply admired but yet to have achieved.

Anything that I have listed here basically. I have a list of favorite famous photographers (which is enormous and I'm going to spare you). Really I still have to shoot something I am 100% satisfied with; I'm my own worst critic and always see failures and flaws in what I do. Maybe that's what makes retiring so difficult, the drive to at least get it once totally right. Oh well smile.

Dec 08 12 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

What will you do to ensure I enjoy my visit to Antwerp next year? smile

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

Dec 08 12 01:12 pm Link

Model

LisaInLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

Can I ask another question? big_smile What do you think of my new snowy pictures?

Dec 08 12 01:12 pm Link

Model

Axioma

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
What will you do to ensure I enjoy my visit to Antwerp next year? smile

Ciao
Stefano
www.stefanobrunesci.com

ehm... I have nothing. neutral

direct you to this splendid tourist-information website big_smile?
http://www.visitantwerpen.be/bze.net?id=1470

Dec 08 12 01:17 pm Link

Model

Axioma

LizaK wrote:
Can I ask another question? big_smile What do you think of my new snowy pictures?

Honestly?
Technically they're not good (I know, the white reflecting snow mass + white styling on top is difficult to work with). I applaud you on trying and being brave to do a probably cold uncomfortable shoot. Unfortunately, they don't do anything for me. No editorial quality, sloppy styling that makes you a square so few interesting lines in it and as a viewer I don't get much connection with you. Sorry Liza, better next time smile. They're not bad, but they're not exciting to me either.

Dec 08 12 01:21 pm Link

Model

Axioma

Added a new rule in the OP big_smile

Dec 08 12 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

Can you start your own rank MM thread?

2) is the real reason you are retired because you drank a fluid that caused you to shrink down to 1'1? Pro-tip if you see a fluid that has a sign saying to drink it. Don't.

Though I think you should reconsider. A small model as yourself would be amazingly versatile. Imagine the cost savings for sets. I will have to get some new macro lenses but I can handle that.

Dec 08 12 03:06 pm Link

Model

winking_wonder

New York, New York, US

What concept should I try next? Also what do you think I am good at and what can I improve?

Dec 08 12 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

You Were Hotter Online

New York, New York, US

what kind of photos will we shoot together?

Dec 08 12 10:00 pm Link

Model

Axioma

winking_wonder wrote:
What concept should I try next? Also what do you think I am good at and what can I improve?

Improve: your expressions are currently all in the same realm: the cute innocent smile while being sexy. do something else

I think commercial-lingerie-stuff suits you well.

Dec 09 12 03:14 am Link

Model

Axioma

You Were Hotter Online wrote:
what kind of photos will we shoot together?

Not sure if we would?

Dec 09 12 03:16 am Link