Forums > Critique > Color or B&W?

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

Just wondering what you guys think of this shot, and which version of it you like better, if either.

* I have only done the base color edits; I have not started working on skin or the details yet, so bear with me.

https://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1604/versionsd.jpg

Personally, I think I'm going for the color, but not sure yet.
Also I admit I wish I had used a reflector board or something to bounce some light around her eyes.

By the way;
I'm totally down for critique and honest thoughts, but if you're going to say something negative, try backing it up with a positive as well so it stays constructive? Would appreciate it.

Dec 04 12 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Irrespective of whether it's B&W or colour, I think it struggles as an attractive image.

And yes, you perhaps needed to get more detail in those shadows. Do you have any margin for recovering some of them in raw?

Dec 04 12 01:28 am Link

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
Irrespective of whether it's B&W or colour, I think it struggles as an attractive image.

And yes, you perhaps needed to get more detail in those shadows. Do you have any margin for recovering some of them in raw?

Nope, since I currently am unable to shoot in raw.

Dec 04 12 01:31 am Link

Photographer

A N D E R S O N

Rockville, Maryland, US

As they stand I prefer the color image. The eyes are getting lost, more so in the b&w. Though if you played with the lighting & contrast a bit more the b&w could win me over...

Dec 04 12 01:33 am Link

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

A N D E R S O N wrote:
As they stand I prefer the color image. The eyes are getting lost, more so in the b&w. Though if you played with the lighting & contrast a bit more the b&w could win me over...

Like this?

https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/1289/bwversion2.jpg

Dec 04 12 01:39 am Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

B&W and forget the eyes. Go for a stronger contrast and make that shadow full, even if you need to burn the eyes off.

Dec 04 12 01:43 am Link

Photographer

A N D E R S O N

Rockville, Maryland, US

I like that a little bit better. I would probably lighten the shadows, darken the whites a tad, then go in and burn the details that I wanted dark. Instead of darkening the whole image which is going to darken the eye area as well...

Dec 04 12 01:47 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I prefer the comparative delicacy of the colour version.

Dec 04 12 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

tenrocK photo wrote:
B&W and forget the eyes. Go for a stronger contrast and make that shadow full, even if you need to burn the eyes off.

This sounds good/

Dec 04 12 02:49 am Link

Photographer

This User Is Not Here

Durango, Colorado, US

tenrocK photo wrote:

I might just try this actually to see how it turns out. smile

Dec 04 12 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

For this photo, black and white is considerably better.  No reason for this to be in color.

Dec 04 12 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Vincente Lopez

Seattle, Washington, US

Alicia I agree with some of the comments. I think the composition of the photo is solely focused in on the eye region. Also looks like when it was shot there wasn't any diffuser in place to help the hard ambient light. With that said the main area of focus is a bit too dark for the picture to warrant any merit. Shooting in raw gives you  a little of leverage in pulling detail out of shadow areas. However shooting in JPG is brutal.

Dec 04 12 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Alicia Hansen Photo wrote:
Just wondering what you guys think of this shot, and which version of it you like better, if either.

* I have only done the base color edits; I have not started working on skin or the details yet, so bear with me.

https://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1604/versionsd.jpg

Personally, I think I'm going for the color, but not sure yet.
Also I admit I wish I had used a reflector board or something to bounce some light around her eyes.

By the way;
I'm totally down for critique and honest thoughts, but if you're going to say something negative, try backing it up with a positive as well so it stays constructive? Would appreciate it.

I do not see spending time on a poor photo,   The fingernails have fallen off,  It might be good that you cannot see the eyes...  makes no difference if it is black and white or color...  the eyes lost it..

Dec 04 12 01:47 pm Link