Forums > Model Colloquy > Posing with puppies

Model

Tanissa Mia

New London, Connecticut, US

I have a photo shoot coming up in a few days where I will be posing with six puppies. I have yet to even model with another person and my prior action shots have been a bust. I'm excited to try something new but am worried from past experiences that these photos might not be the best. Any advice for posing and what not?

Dec 05 12 09:14 am Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What's the theme of the shoot? Or the feel of it?
Just act natural depending on the type of shoot it is.

Here's a list I found off of a goggle search. Models with dogs.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/65421

Dec 05 12 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

puppies are cute, don't let those fury, little scene stealers upstage you tongue
always be ready to shoot, when they are finally herded into the right spot
don't have the photographer wait on you. have confidence in the photographer,
have a plan, that plan is to improvise. good luck.

Dec 05 12 10:05 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Yes.. knowing the concept is important before anyone can really give any advice.
I've shot puppies for a magazine. The little buggers scatter everywhere. They have are not trained and don't do anything you might want or expect.

The only posing advice I can give is don't step on one. smile

Most likely you'll either be picking  them up or on the ground with them.

Animals can be a HUGE pain in the butt to photograph, if the concept calls for them to perform somehow.   

If the concept is you playing with the pups, then have at it. 
Just have a way to contain them in a easy-to-reach area. 
They tend to be small and can easily get away and hide.

good luck smile

Dec 05 12 10:16 am Link

Model

Tanissa Mia

NicoleNudes wrote:
What's the theme of the shoot? Or the feel of it?
Just act natural depending on the type of shoot it is.

Here's a list I found off of a goggle search. Models with dogs.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/list/65421

Its just really fun and playful. Nothing too fancy. The photographer wants photos of his new litter and I'd like a wider range of expression in my portfolio.

Thank you so much for this list incredibly helpful! ♥

Dec 05 12 10:17 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Tanissa Mia wrote:
Its just really fun and playful. Nothing too fancy. The photographer wants photos of his new litter and I'd like a wider range of expression in my portfolio.

Thank you so much for this list incredibly helpful! ♥

Oh you'll get a range of expression when you are cooing at one and another pees on your leg.... Just kidding (kinda)  smile

That's a pretty loose concept.... It'd help to have more direction to the shot..

I don't know if this would work but maybe a shot with all the pups on leashes.  Like you're a dog/puppy walker.. and he can get expressions from you..as they all take off in different directions and get tangled up.... WHICH is quite likely to happen..

Good luck smile

Dec 05 12 10:19 am Link

Model

Tanissa Mia

KevinMcGowanPhotography wrote:

Oh you'll get a range of expression when you are cooing at one and another pees on your leg.... Just kidding (kinda)  smile

That's a pretty loose concept.... It'd help to have more direction to the shot..

I don't know if this would work but maybe a shot with all the pups on leashes.  Like you're a dog/puppy walker.. and he can get expressions from you..as they all take off in different directions and get tangled up.... WHICH is quite likely to happen..

Good luck smile

That sounds like a good idea! I'll definitely suggest it! Thank you for being so helpful!

Dec 05 12 10:25 am Link

Model

LizzyB

Rochester, New York, US

if you want one to look directly into the camera, or at least facing the camera at all, you may have to gently hold his head in place.

this comes from experience with my brother's jack russel terrier, who ALWAYS looks away from the camera

Dec 05 12 10:27 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

Get two assistants as puppy wranglers.  It's absolutely necessary.

Dec 05 12 10:32 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:
puppies are cute, don't let those fury, little scene stealers upstage you tongue
always be ready to shoot, when they are finally herded into the right spot
don't have the photographer wait on you. have confidence in the photographer,
have a plan, that plan is to improvise. good luck.

+1 just have fun and remember to emote! big_smile

Dec 05 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Tanissa Mia wrote:
That sounds like a good idea! I'll definitely suggest it! Thank you for being so helpful!

I can see that shot with a long lens, town or city sidewalk, lots of nice natural light bouncing around.  a low super wide angle from the puppy's point of view..looking up might be fun too. He'd better have a fast shooting camera either way.

B&W might be nice.

Hopefully he likes the idea. 
He has to like and "see" the shot, to buy into it.
If he doesn't, he'll be wasting his and your time with it..

C h a r l e s  D wrote:
Get two assistants as puppy wranglers.  It's absolutely necessary.

Charles is quite right.. That's why I suggested the puppies on leashes..

Dec 05 12 10:36 am Link

Photographer

JBerman Photography

New York, New York, US

Don't step on the puppies...that always ruins the shoot.

Dec 05 12 10:44 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

JBerman Photography wrote:

not too good a day for the puppy either... sad

Dec 05 12 10:59 am Link

Model

Tanissa Mia

JBerman Photography wrote:

I'll do my best not to harm the puppies. As a ferret owner, I have learned to watch my feet.

Dec 05 12 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Gabby57

Ponca City, Oklahoma, US

I'd thought about using Max in a few shots with the young lady I was supposed to shoot Sunday (her car got broke into though so she lost her wardrobe!).  We were planning a vintage Hollywood type shoot.

My thought was her holding the dog out near arm's length looking at each other as though neither was comfortable with the other.  Follow shot with both turning heads toward camera (if dog cooperated), or perhaps coming closer almost nose to nose (click) then model turning her head (forcing dog to turn his with her check (click).

And don't forget puppy props!

Max is no stranger to the camera, but he usually poses solo, Merry Christmas from Max!:
https://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk160/gablab/_DSC1765SM.jpg

Dec 05 12 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

Tell the handler to feed them like an hour before so they'll be dozy (but make sure they've gone #2 first before you shoot)

Dec 05 12 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Get down on the floor and play with them.  Talk baby talk to them.  Lots of touching & petting.  Have fun.

Dec 05 12 11:40 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

Make sure you SMILE like you are having tons of fun!

I looked in your port, and there is not 1 photo of you smiling. Practice if you have to, but have fun and smile!

Dec 05 12 11:50 am Link

Artist/Painter

MainePaintah

Saco, Maine, US

Make sure you SMILE like you are having tons of fun!

I looked in your port, and there is not 1 photo of you smiling. Practice if you have to, but have fun and smile!

Dec 05 12 11:50 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Tanissa Mia wrote:
I have a photo shoot coming up in a few days where I will be posing with six puppies. I have yet to even model with another person and my prior action shots have been a bust. I'm excited to try something new but am worried from past experiences that these photos might not be the best. Any advice for posing and what not?

You just relax and sit there... the puppies will do all the posing. Guaranteed!

attack of the puppies!
https://studio36.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/puppies_attack.jpg

Studio36

Dec 05 12 12:11 pm Link

Model

Jordan L Duncan

Jacksonville, Florida, US

The thing I would be most worried about is their claws when they jump on me. Snagging the clothes or making red marks. Or peeing on my clothes. lol!

I'm assuming that the concept is supposed to be lighthearted and fun with lots of smiles, so just be sure to play with them and have a good time while keeping a smile on your face. You might want to bring a baggie of treats with you to encourage them to stay near you. You could hold one discreetly in your hand and while its distracted with trying to find the treat you can be looking into the camera. If you talk to them too much (good doggie, sweet doggie, etc) then your mouth will be moving in all the pictures so you'll have to keep their attention without speaking. Hopefully toys or something for them to play with will be provided so you can play with them and hopefully they won't try to play tug of war with your clothes. lol.

Sounds like a fun shoot. Good luck!

Dec 05 12 12:13 pm Link

Model

Jordan L Duncan

Actually this reminds me of how much I love the Bvlgari ads with Julianne Moore posing nekkid with the baby lions. I like the Kirsten Dunst ones with the grown lion too but the baby lions are too presh.

Dec 05 12 12:16 pm Link

Model

Jordan L Duncan

KevinMcGowanPhotography wrote:

Good luck smile

+1 could be cute and quirky if you play this just right.

Dec 05 12 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Jordan L Duncan wrote:
EDIT....You might want to bring a baggie of treats with you to encourage them to stay near you. .

This is an excellent suggestion... I was on one shoot where we wanted the puppy to play with a kid.. We hid treats on the kid, in his pockets and the puppy would sniff them out.. Actually it turned out pretty cute...

Dec 05 12 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, California, US

are you actually modeling something with a purpose or are you playing let's take pictures?

Dec 05 12 07:03 pm Link

Model

Fine Wine

Orange, California, US

I am so envious. I LOVE puppies.

FYI, some puppies (especially Golden Retrievers) like to mouth and their little teeth can be sharp and scratch so try to watch your arms.

You will definitely need some puppy herders as well.

Good luck.

Dec 05 12 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Sinkus Photography

JOBSTOWN, New Jersey, US

Puppies love to "mouth" things, people, each other, etc. Tiny teeth can be sharp. Be ready for "love bites".
Oh, doubt if they're old enough to be house trained. Beware the puppy poop.

Dec 05 12 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Flaskegaard

Delray Beach, Florida, US

It's a fine balance of who's in charge -- the puppies or you.  A wrangler is a must -- they'll wander around and need to be repositioned.  Depending on age they may respond differently to treats and food as an adult dog but they each have something they'll respond to - and you'll have to experiment to find out what is.   Have a bowl of water available. Try a squeaker or rustling paper/cellophane.  Be aware you will not only get their attention, they'll come over to find out what is getting their attention.
Posing is not really "posing."  It's arranging for the best percentage shot - and then doing it again (and again).  Keep the mood light and you'll get what you're looking for.

https://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z196/jackdogstudio/McKittrick375.jpg   https://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z196/jackdogstudio/McKittrick333Santadog.jpg

Dec 05 12 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ally Moy

New York, New York, US

Just psych yourself up to be really happy and excited. Play with them. Pick them up. Lay on the floor with them. Get in close- they are small and close to the ground. You'll get nipped and licked and hopefully not peed on but I'm assuming you like dogs and have maybe had a puppy before since you agreed to this in the first place.

Dec 05 12 11:32 pm Link