Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Time travel discussion.

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

No this is not about going back or forward in time.

While watching a show I like(since I am sick and can't sleep) the topic of time travel was broached , not about a person actually traveling, but about what happens to everyone else.

What happens to everyone else when some asshat goes mucking about in the time stream?

Do we just keep existing in our own alternate time line or are we erased from existence as a new time line is built?

Dec 24 12 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Carl Roberts

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
No this is not about going back or forward in time.

While watching a show I like(since I am sick and can't sleep) the topic of time travel was broached , not about a person actually traveling, but about what happens to everyone else.

What happens to everyone else when some asshat goes mucking about in the time stream?

Do we just keep existing in our own alternate time line or are we erased from existence as a new time line is built?

Well there are of course 2 schools of thought on that

First is the time stream is fixed and that by going back in time, you can only branch off a parallel time stream that would house the change, but the original time stream never changes

The other is that yes, you can change the events of time
This of course raises the Paradox issue, where the question is, what if you went back in time and killed your own Grandfather before your father was born

I'm more of a branching time line guy
It creates less logic issues and opens up the possibilities for story development

Dec 24 12 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Would we be affected by someone else screwing around with the timeline if we subscribe to the one timeline theory? Undoubtedly.

Would be be aware of it?
Certainly not.

Maybe I just altered your reality and you didn't even realize it.

Dec 24 12 07:41 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

not based in fiction:

We're traveling through time at this very moment, on our own time.
Granted, we are all on the planet earth moving at the same speed, therefore we are aging at nearly the same rate depending on altitude.

It is possible to bend space time, and age slower comparatively.
If you could do this to an extreme, your own rate of time would be slower than everyone else's: it would be as if you traveled into their future.
A few minutes for you, could be hundreds of years for people on earth.
Its entirely possible in physics.
Currently making a huge leap is not within our technologys capabilities.

Traveling to the past would be more difficult.
Again, it would take a lot just to be in the same place twice.
Much easier to go forward.

Dec 24 12 07:51 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Oh not this thread again. We just had it tomorrow.

Dec 24 12 07:53 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Actually, I read a great article yesterday that said pondered time-simulations. It said that there's a LOT of time in the future to make simulations, so that statistically, it is more likely that we live in a simulation than in reality. The author is trying to develop a model to look at some high-energy physics to figure out if we are in a real world or a fake one.

Dec 24 12 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Both Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson admit that this paradox is pretty acceptable grounds to argue that either a) time travel will not be invented which will allow you to go back into the past (future/forward-only time travel) or b) time travel will send you to an alternate universe of sorts. 

Stephen Hawking discussed it at length in both a "I'm having a party today and all time travelers from the future are invited and if there's time travel they'll show up at the appointed time." example as well as a "supervillain" theory where some nutjob would pick up a gun, step into a time warp and shoot himself in the past just before picking up the gun.  The paradox is that if it were possible, he'd be dead before picking the gun up and if he's dead before picking up the gun he can't travel back in time to be the shooter.  Hawking supposed that trying to use a localized wormhole in such a way might be akin to the feedback loop that happens in audio engineered between the origin of a sound received by a mic, transmitted through a speaker and back into a mic. 

Personally, I think that we're more likely to discover how to travel vast distances instantaneously than we are to make time travel occur.  If we do, it seems like it would be a one-way forward, never to return kind of thing.

Dec 24 12 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

Personally, I think this would be the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0qDy0T5WXM

Dec 24 12 08:08 am Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

My thoughts on this are a bit weird.

You don't see things, you see light. Light continues to exist no matter what.

If you were able to travel back into time, you'd do so by catching up with the light from a previous event and see it. So, the light would be there but the objects wouldn't. Therefore, they would be like ghosts or holograms. You could see them but you couldn't interact.

Dec 24 12 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

Kingston, Ontario, Canada

Interesting comments from Canada's former Minister of Defense Paul Hellyer (clipped from a larger speech)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jsF0x_VmEQ

"time field differentials"

Dec 24 12 08:51 am Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

If time travel to the past is possible, then I think the alternate-universe model is the best way of understanding what happens to other people.  Answer: nothing changes for other people, because they're now in a different universe than the time traveler.

It fits with the idea that every uncertainty leads to a splitting of universes.  This is a wildly counter-intuitive idea, but it's currently the best explanation we have for the things that quantum physics has revealed.

Dec 24 12 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:

I have always envisioned backward time travel as "read-only" where one could observe but not influence.

Dec 24 12 10:19 am Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

rp_photo wrote:

I have always envisioned backward time travel as "read-only" where one could observe but not influence.

The "set in stone" theory is basically that the past is unchangeable and every thing is predestined . Even if you could go back in time you would be unable to effect any change in it.

Example:

You go back in time to to stop the JFK Assassination, but no matter how hard you try something prevents you from stopping Oswald, or you yourself are the cause of the event because you went back in time.

Supposedly it works the same with the future.

Dec 24 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Time travel is impossible because it would be a violation of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

Dec 24 12 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Ronin_LLC wrote:
The "set in stone" theory is basically that the past is unchangeable and every thing is predestined . Even if you could go back in time you would be unable to effect any change in it.

Example:

You go back in time to to stop the JFK Assassination, but no matter how hard you try something prevents you from stopping Oswald, or you yourself are the cause of the event because you went back in time.

Supposedly it works the same with the future.

It is also impossible because of the Grandfather paradox discovered by french sci-fi writer Barjavel in "Future time three": You go back in time and kill a relative... then you wouldn't be born... then you wouldn't go back in time to kill the relative... then...

Sorry but Wells wasn't intelligent to see it when he wrote the time machine smile

It's called an undecidable loop, per Goedel's proposition on things that cannot be proven or disproven and where logic and mathematics find their limit.

Dec 24 12 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Maybe time isn't linear.  Maybe we think of it as linear only because that's as much as our puny brains can grasp.  Maybe the past is not behind us but to our left, and the future is to our right.   Maybe to get to the past, we don't need a time machine; maybe we just need to learn how to break the dimensional barrier.

Einstein showed that we can in effect compress time, if we can just go fast enough.  If time is such a flexible thing that we ourselves can distort it, then maybe our visualization of time as a "line" is simply wrong.

Just speculatin'.

Dec 24 12 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

Vivus Hussein Denuo wrote:
Maybe time isn't linear.  Maybe we think of it as linear only because that's as much as our puny brains can grasp.  Maybe the past is not behind us but to our left, and the future is to our right.   Maybe to get to the past, we don't need a time machine; maybe we just need to learn how to break the dimensional barrier.

this is smart.

borat

Dec 25 12 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

If some form of trash or rubbish start appearing on your garden, street, town, parking lot, etc... etc...

You know someone has invented a time machine somewhere past or future and they have solved their pollution problems by dumping their waste in our timeline!

Dec 25 12 09:20 pm Link

Artist/Painter

DGCasey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Vivus Hussein Denuo wrote:

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
this is smart.

This is one of the ideas behind the theories of quantum physics, that all timelines are happening as we speak and our actions right now send us down whichever timeline we would be on.  Men In Black 3 played a lot with that idea when they were interacting with Griff.  He could see all the possible timelines, but didn't know which one would come to pass until certain events happened.

I agree with Viv, that this concept is just a little too far above our heads right now to understand how it really works.  For us, linear time makes sense and it is what we are comfortable with.

Dec 26 12 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Paindancer Productions

Long Beach, California, US

I disagree that the concept is above the ability of the mind to comprehend time transcendent dynamics.  Yes, these CPU's are formatted for a quasi linear perception of time, so it will be difficult to accurately comprehend, but we also manage to get 3D ques from watching a 2D screen, so we can at least extrapolate.

That said, from our perspective, fractal existances really is the only answer.  Time travel, will cause one to be displaced further and further from ones own reality.  As a limited analogy.. look at a 2D map.  Mark your location on that map.  Now, drive to the next town.  Mark your location again.  It is not the same place.  This would be true if we wanted to consider elevation as well, but we would need multiple maps for each increment of height we wanted to measure.  (If we wanted to consider all heights at once, where elevation didnt matter, we just use the regular 2d map)

Do the same thing on a 3 dimensional map.  Similar result.  If we wanted to consider a 4th dimension of time, we would need a new map for each measure of time we wanted to consider.  Assuming we all experience a constant change of time, means we could neglect that effect, but if we wanted to measure jumps in time beyond the common chance, we would need new maps each increment.

Realities would follow the same.

That said, regarding paradoxes, time jumps would only result in the jumping of realities.  For example, I could jump back in time, and shoot myself in the head.  That didnt happen in the reality I am from or I couldn't have done it.  However, that doesn't preclude the end of the existence for the alternate me whom I shot.  Jumping back to my own time line, assuming I could accurately return to the singular reality out of a infinite number of possible ones, I would find things totally unchanged.  Even IF I managed to somehow violate that, and return to my own reality stream in a  earlier time, everything I could do would only contribute to what I did as I already did it.  Anything otherwise is an alternate timeline which would have to be an alternate reality stream.

Its not that hard, in a timey wimey wibbly bibbly sort of perspective.

Dec 26 12 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:

A couple theories based on alone on watching the Star Trek franchise...

1. A predestination paradox. You were always supposed to go back in time in the first place.

2. A paradox. Say you go back in time & mess things up. You cannot then go forward in time again because you will have already changed everything & the "present" you knew will be gone forever (or at least until you unmess everything up). Everyone else's memory would be rewritten because they never knew what its supposed to be like.

3. Parallel worlds. Say you go back in time, mess things up. In theory, you will have created a parallel world that exists simultaneously in an infinite equal direction than the "present" one you screwed up. Everyone else's memory would be rewritten (those in the "present/future") because they never knew what it was supposed to be like anyways.

Dec 26 12 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

the concept of time is something humans invented, yet don't fully understand.
gravity and speed effect our perception of it.
using those forces we can bend it.
its not the same everywhere in the universe.

its completely possible to "travel" thru at different rates.

Dec 26 12 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

“People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually - from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff.”  -Doctor Who

Dec 26 12 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

They did a wonderful presentation of time travel in "Butterfly Effect." 

I'm not worried about it.  It's not going to happen in our lifetimes for sure, if at all, ever.   There's a far better chance of those losers finding Big Foot.

Dec 26 12 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Time travel is so complicated even this guy can't get it right:
https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2012/8/22/1345648408083/Doctor-Who-sidekicks-006.jpg

Dec 26 12 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
not based in fiction:

We're traveling through time at this very moment, on our own time.
Granted, we are all on the planet earth moving at the same speed, therefore we are aging at nearly the same rate depending on altitude.

It is possible to bend space time, and age slower comparatively.
If you could do this to an extreme, your own rate of time would be slower than everyone else's: it would be as if you traveled into their future.
A few minutes for you, could be hundreds of years for people on earth.
Its entirely possible in physics.
Currently making a huge leap is not within our technologys capabilities.

Traveling to the past would be more difficult.
Again, it would take a lot just to be in the same place twice.
Much easier to go forward.

Good explanation!  Time is an arrow.

The Universe is expanding. To go back in time, we have to shrink the expanding Universe back to where it was at that time. IMPOSSIBLE!

Dec 26 12 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

I would like to think that going back in time and changing things branches off reality.

like when using Git version control, you branch your changes off of a master branch.... this is a problem exclusive to nerd programmers though

but since we are talking about time travel

Dec 26 12 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Of the past, I have memories only.  Of the future, only dreams and hopes.  So, it's fair to say that past and future are only mental states.   The only real state is the present.

Dec 26 12 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

C h a r l e s  D wrote:
They did a wonderful presentation of time travel in "Butterfly Effect." 

I'm not worried about it.  It's not going to happen in our lifetimes for sure, if at all, ever.   There's a far better chance of those losers finding Big Foot.

Bigfoot DNA study, currently under scientific peer-review ---

Researchers Claim To Have Sequenced Bigfoot DNA
http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xht … 300B7TO0MA

Bigfoot DNA Tests Prove Hairy Creature Exists, Genetic Researcher Says
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 … 99984.html

BIGFOOT: BEYOND FOOTPRINTS AND DNA
http://news.discovery.com/animals/bigfo … 20526.html

Bigfoot (Ketchum) DNA Study
http://bf-field-journal.blogspot.ca/p/bigfoot-dna.html

'Bigfoot' Is Part Human, DNA Study Claims
http://www.livescience.com/25047-bigfoo … estor.html

"A team of scientists can verify that their five-year long DNA study, currently under peer-review, confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called 'Bigfoot' or 'Sasquatch,' living in North America," the release reads. "Researchers' extensive DNA sequencing suggests that the legendary Sasquatch is a human relative that arose approximately 15,000 years ago."

Dec 26 12 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Michael Bots wrote:

Bigfoot DNA study, currently under scientific peer-review ---

Researchers Claim To Have Sequenced Bigfoot DNA
http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xht … 300B7TO0MA

Bigfoot DNA Tests Prove Hairy Creature Exists, Genetic Researcher Says
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 … 99984.html

BIGFOOT: BEYOND FOOTPRINTS AND DNA
http://news.discovery.com/animals/bigfo … 20526.html

Bigfoot (Ketchum) DNA Study
http://bf-field-journal.blogspot.ca/p/bigfoot-dna.html

'Bigfoot' Is Part Human, DNA Study Claims
http://www.livescience.com/25047-bigfoo … estor.html

"A team of scientists can verify that their five-year long DNA study, currently under peer-review, confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called 'Bigfoot' or 'Sasquatch,' living in North America," the release reads. "Researchers' extensive DNA sequencing suggests that the legendary Sasquatch is a human relative that arose approximately 15,000 years ago."

We're getting off topic here, but what the heck...

The researcher's name is Melba Ketchum?  Well, I think we should not believe her claim that sasquatches exist until we ketch 'em.  smile

Dec 26 12 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bots

from TruTV    (it must be Tru)

TIME TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE (AND 10 PEOPLE WHO DID IT FOR REAL)
http://www.trutv.com/conspiracy/paranor … llery.html

Dec 26 12 04:03 pm Link