Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Cream eyeshadows

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hello. I was wondering if we could all share tips and tricks on how to use cream eyeshadows. I am trying to branch out from powder eyeshadows and I recently purchased a cream shadow palette from Kryolan.

What do you do to prevent the cream shadow from creasing? Do you layer your cream with powders?

So far I was planning to use the cream shadows as a base on the lid to provide a very strong pigmented look and then go over it with powders to complete the look but those are my only thoughts right now.

Thanks for any info. you can provide.

Dec 30 12 07:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katy G

Yucaipa, California, US

Jocelyn Marie Morris wrote:
So far I was planning to use the cream shadows as a base on the lid to provide a very strong pigmented look and then go over it with powders to complete the look but those are my only thoughts right now.

You're thinking right! Powder over cream always looks excellent. My favorite cream eyeshadow is Maybelline's Color Tattoo. It's affordable and performs very well. smile

Dec 30 12 10:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ThirdEyeMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

For staying power, clean the lid area of any oils, then apply your cream shadow in thin, thin layers. I like to use my finger instead of a brush.
You can also use a waterproof cream shadow as a primer, like the Makeup Forever aqua creams or the Bobby Brown cream shadows.

If your cream is very crease-prone and you're doing a photoshoot, just stay on top of it- Stay near the camera and make sure to re-blend as needed.

Hope that helps!

Dec 30 12 10:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Vanita MUA

Seattle, Washington, US

Katy Gonzalez wrote:

You're thinking right! Powder over cream always looks excellent. My favorite cream eyeshadow is Maybelline's Color Tattoo. It's affordable and performs very well. smile

This! and I also like MUFE's flash palette to use as cream shadows; you can mix up tons of colors as well.

Dec 31 12 11:18 am Link

Makeup Artist

KDM

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Make sure to prime...

Dec 31 12 01:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks everyone for your tips! I'm hoping to get my skill up and test the cremes out on a photoshoot in the near future.

-Jocelyn

Jan 06 13 04:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

I've been using Inglot or Kryolan cream/gel eyeliners as a waterproof cream eyeshadow. They have great 'flat' colors. Many of the ready-made long-lasting cream shadows have an overabundance of shimmer or glitter.

I loosen up the gel eyeliner on a palette with a few drops of FaceAtelier Transforming Gel or Lise Watier Metamorfix. This gives it a little more play time before it sets. I lay down a light coat with one brush and then blend quickly with a clean brush (both synthetic). I repeat to intensify the color. I almost always top them with a powder shadow for added depth and long wear.

Jan 06 13 11:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

Katy G

Yucaipa, California, US

MADE NYC wrote:
I've been using Inglot or Kryolan cream/gel eyeliners as a waterproof cream eyeshadow. They have great 'flat' colors. Many of the ready-made long-lasting cream shadows have an overabundance of shimmer or glitter.

Thanks for the brand suggestions! The shimmer factor is my only gripe about the creams I have. smile

Jan 06 13 12:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Dani Jaye

Princeton, New Jersey, US

I use a cream shadow as a base with powder overlay so often that I've found the perfect combo to end creasing for my oil lids.

I tone my eyelids to remove the oils (toner not astringent)

I then prime with Lime Crime's: Candy Eyed Primer (UD, Too faced, Nars, etc.. Do not work well enough for me). This is a dense primer compared to most.  You only need a thin layer, let it set for a few minutes.

Then I use my cream shadows and lay down my color base.

Finally, I work with my powder shadows (Yaby or KVD usually since I adore their high pigments and blendability)

My eye makeup will last my full work day 8 hours easy, up to 12 hours. I've come to trust that I don't have to keep looking to check on my makeup which is Hella nice!

Side note: I do not use my MUFE flash palette for eye makeup that requires longevity.  In fact I rarely use it on the eyes unless I am literally hand painting a design on.  The formula is just too creamy and creases wickedly, even with shadow over it.  My flash palette gets plenty of use with color correction & coverage needs since I tend to custom blend foundation colors (Kevyn Aucoin SSE) for each client.

I'd welcome any feedback on this.

Jan 07 13 12:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katy G

Yucaipa, California, US

I must confess, something I've never used once personally or professionally is eye shadow primer. When doing the face, I always put face primer and foundation both on the lids as I do the rest of the face. And, as Dani said, I also tone the lids when I'm prepping the face. I think it goes beyond luck that I've never had an issue with creasing or wearing away of eye shadow. I can't remember where in the world I read to do that or who might've told me, but it's something I've done forever, now that's always been effective. Is this an actual process that anyone else uses successfully?

Jan 07 13 01:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

ThirdEyeMakeup wrote:
For staying power, clean the lid area of any oils, then apply your cream shadow in thin, thin layers. I like to use my finger instead of a brush.
You can also use a waterproof cream shadow as a primer, like the Makeup Forever aqua creams or the Bobby Brown cream shadows.

If your cream is very crease-prone and you're doing a photoshoot, just stay on top of it- Stay near the camera and make sure to re-blend as needed.

Hope that helps!

I love Makeup Forever Aqua creams. They go on so beautifully - -they have spoiled me for other cream shadows.

I have some of the color tattoo cream shadows too but I like the Makeup Forever Aqua creams better.

I love the Yaby shadows and have layered them on top of creams and they layer on nicely.

( and I normally use the Urban Decay eye potion primer underneath)

Jan 07 13 04:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

KJB wrote:

I loosen up the gel eyeliner on a palette with a few drops of FaceAtelier Transforming Gel or Lise Watier Metamorfix. This gives it a little more play time before it sets. I lay down a light coat with one brush and then blend quickly with a clean brush (both synthetic). I repeat to intensify the color. I almost always top them with a powder shadow for added depth and long wear.

Wow!!! I feel extremely honored that you would reply to my post! I love your website In My Kit and I was actually chatting about you with the ladies at the Kryolan studio in Chicago a few weeks ago. Thank you!!!

And thank you to all the other MUAs who have shared tips. I love this forum.

Jan 08 13 03:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Wow!!! I feel extremely honored that you would reply to my post! I love your website In My Kit and I was actually chatting about you with the ladies at the Kryolan studio in Chicago a few weeks ago. Thank you!!!

And thank you to all the other MUAs who have shared tips. I love this forum.

Seconded in my kit is the bomb!

Jan 08 13 02:13 pm Link

Model

BeatnikDiva

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

This is a great thread.  I don't wear much makeup, but I've recently started using a cream shadow for the color brilliance, and I love it.  There are some great tips in here on application and on brands.  Thanks!

Jan 08 13 02:43 pm Link

Makeup Artist

emanuela travassos

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

also white pencil helps from creasing its good as a eye primer thats what i use and no problems and stays long hours too .

Jan 09 13 12:14 pm Link

Makeup Artist

emanuela travassos

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

hi there girls i was wondering what is the best consealer to full coverage on the face but affordable?

Jan 09 13 12:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

jmorrismua

Chicago, Illinois, US

emanuela travassos wrote:
hi there girls i was wondering what is the best consealer to full coverage on the face but affordable?

In terms of affordability, I've been very happy with the Kryolan Dermacolor Mini Palette. They usually go for about $30 per palette. They are really small, kind of like Yaby palette small but smaller. BUT they have about 16 shades per palette. And a little goes a LONG way. So you won't be running out of it anytime soon.

I love it. It is full coverage, creamy, goes nicely under liquid foundation, easy to blend and affordable. They sell it at camera ready cosmetics.

Jan 11 13 05:31 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Katy G

Yucaipa, California, US

Kryolan Dermacolor Mini Palette

I second this. Excellent product! smile

Jan 11 13 06:52 pm Link