Forums > Critique > Please advise

Photographer

OliePhotography

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Hi all,

Only joined the website yesterday. Very new to photography and I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know what you think of the pictures of my profile.

I do not have any light equipment so pictures were only taken without flash or with the built-in flash of the camera.

Thanks in advance for the critiques.

Jan 02 13 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

olideb08 wrote:
Hi all,

Only joined the website yesterday. Very new to photography and I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know what you think of the pictures of my profile.

I do not have any light equipment so pictures were only taken without flash or with the built-in flash of the camera.

Thanks in advance for the critiques.

One piece of advice, besides the obvious to go read a little more on the basics of composition etc, would be to experiment with window light and reflectors.
You will be amazed at the mood effects you're able to come up with using only the sky as your light source. Don't be discouraged by overcast days either, in many ways they offer far better opportunities to play around with subtle changes.
Keep practicing and studying the work of others, if its improvement you seek, you will get there.
Good luck and welcome to Mayhem.

Jan 02 13 11:01 am Link

Photographer

OliePhotography

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Hi Rik,

Thank you for the advices. You have great pics on your profile.  I will defo read a few books and look at other people work to get better. I am not bothered with the overcast weather... I mean it is mostly like this every day over here anyway....

Jan 03 13 10:18 am Link

Photographer

A Virtual Inferno

San Jose, California, US

The thing about on-board flash is that it's really hard to make it give off flattering light, because it's so direct and a small light source.  I'm liking your 3rd and 4th image more, mostly because the lighting is softer, and I'm not much of a headshots person either.

Start simple.  I would agree that natural light is a great way to learn how to light.  You'd be surprised what you can accomplish with just natural light and cheap particle board or foamcore.  Natural light can be very diffuse, which will really help you create flattering photos of your subject.  Just avoid direct sunlight falling on the subject's face.

One thing that also helped and inspired me was to look at portraits that caught my eye, and to figure out what I liked about it.  What was good about the composition, exposure, posing, expression, etc.  If possible, I'd save the picture to use as a reference when making my own shots.

Consider attending a group shoot. There's meetup groups or shoots posted in the forums that welcome beginners.  Most hosts will provide lighting equipment, so you can get practice working with that kind of gear should you choose to do so. You'll be able to see how other photographers think and work, and you'll be able to get their help as well.

I kind of went astray there, but that's some advice I can offer. Keep shooting!

- Jason

Jan 03 13 11:02 pm Link

Model

Nikki Magnusson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Welcome to MM !!..https://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/153/5f26ff42df6443939f1b7d7c4035c7dc/l.gif

Jan 03 13 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Bravo Magic Images

Temple City, California, US

Well you got the first few steps going for you. Now it wount hurt to take a few Photography classes or buy some books on how to pose llamas how to use your camera as a marketing tool.

Keep shooting and enjoy your self.

Jan 03 13 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mark

New York, New York, US

Thats a great way to start- not using a flash.  But you need to use some sunlight breaking thru yonder window.  If the light is very strong- hang a light weight white sheet up to diffuse it into a more friendly light.  You can also use flood lights bounced off a wall behind you so it bounces onto the model- just make sure you use the right white balance or at least shoot in RAW so you can color correct. Also you can be a 36" 5 in one reflector for about $50 and that will help a lot to get light into the models face and avoid raccoon eyes. You can use your on camera flash to some good effect- might have to set it manually though to just add a little fill light- try shooting with the subject's back to the sun and adding some reflector and/or camera flash.

Good luck and have a Guinness for me
Mark

Jan 04 13 10:28 am Link

Photographer

RachelReilly

Washington, District of Columbia, US

The nicest and most helpful Mark has ever been! ^
Proud of you!;-)

Jan 04 13 10:45 am Link