Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > 100 Billion Planets in our Milky Way!

Photographer

Sirius Star Photography

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
But you could still charge people by alloting a certain amount of power per week / month or whatever. Money would still be made.

And I think if we really did have free energy people would find other ways to make money and exploit people.

The energy would be produced independently of any distribution center. Your home would contain its own "mini" power plant, eliminating the need for an electric utility company.

Jan 08 13 10:42 pm Link

Body Painter

Monad Studios

Santa Rosa, California, US

Sirius Star Photography wrote:
The Germans used torsion field technology during WWII to create the so called" foo fighter" ufos. We held their scientists under lock and key to access this technology. I am unaware of our government sharing this technology with the public or what their intentions were for obtaining this technology. The reason I'm mentioning this is because I'm sure that scientists in other countries are victims of suppression as well, it's just that in Germany's situation, they we're absolutely bent on winning the war and chose to use this once suppressed technology to do so, which, of course, didn't work as planned.

I think you're saying that there are greatly superior technologies that some people have known about for a long time but that most of the best scientists in the world either don't know about or won't talk about.

Is that right?

Jan 08 13 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

There are no truly free energy sources.  Back in the Fifties, it was thought that nuclear power would be so cheap that there would be no need for meters on customers' buildings.

Then the reality of the cost of building and running nuclear reactors made it obvious that the utilities would have to charge significant fees for the power.

Wind farms cost money to build and operate; solar farms cost money to build and operate.  Tidal power turbines are not cheap, either.

In the long run, renewable resources will cost less than fossil fuels, but they'll never be free.

Even if there were totally free power sources, it would still cost money to build and maintain the distribution systems.

Jan 09 13 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

Digital Photo PLUS wrote:
Today's science knows of no feasible way to travel faster than light. There are mathematical models but they would have to be bigger than the visible Universe or would use up more energy that the mass of the visible Universe. Or rely on materials with properties that defy laws of physics that we know of today.

I know that.  Another poster in this thread seems to not believe this.  And, when trying to answer the question, uses generalities like "the amount of energy used would depend on how far you have to travel".  That tells me that this poster has not grappled with the collision between the theory he touts and our current understanding of physics. 

I could tout a new theory of space travel today.  I worked at Area 57 (more secret than 51) and I saw a new breed of alien ship.  It uses Element 218 and it creates this matter-anti-matter toast that........

Ok, terrific.  Now, to be considered a valid theory, I must prove it with MATH.  Otherwise, it is gibberish on a page.  QM is weird, very, very weird.  String theory is weird.  Very very weird.  But they use the common language of mathematics to prove or disprove certain things. 

I would still like to see the energy calculation for this theory.

Jan 09 13 02:22 am Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Top Level Studio wrote:
There are no truly free energy sources.  Back in the Fifties, it was thought that nuclear power would be so cheap that there would be no need for meters on customers' buildings.

Then the reality of the cost of building and running nuclear reactors made it obvious that the utilities would have to charge significant fees for the power.

Wind farms cost money to build and operate; solar farms cost money to build and operate.  Tidal power turbines are not cheap, either.

In the long run, renewable resources will cost less than fossil fuels, but they'll never be free.

Even if there were totally free power sources, it would still cost money to build and maintain the distribution systems.

I think that was my point. Even if we could have broadcast wireless electricity like Tesla dreamed of you would have to charge people to use it because the infrastructure would need to be built and maintained...  BTW he did do a successful demonstration of this, but the idea did not catch on.

Jan 09 13 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Sirius Star Photography

Digitoxin wrote:

I know that.  Another poster in this thread seems to not believe this.  And, when trying to answer the question, uses generalities like "the amount of energy used would depend on how far you have to travel".  That tells me that this poster has not grappled with the collision between the theory he touts and our current understanding of physics. 

I could tout a new theory of space travel today.  I worked at Area 57 (more secret than 51) and I saw a new breed of alien ship.  It uses Element 218 and it creates this matter-anti-matter toast that........

Ok, terrific.  Now, to be considered a valid theory, I must prove it with MATH.  Otherwise, it is gibberish on a page.  QM is weird, very, very weird.  String theory is weird.  Very very weird.  But they use the common language of mathematics to prove or disprove certain things. 

I would still like to see the energy calculation for this theory.

First off, you have to convert mass into light. If something weighs at a zero mass, getting it to achieve light speed would require very little energy, a couple volts. This would allow you to disappear into the electromagnetic spectrum. Everything in front of you appears physical, it's just waves on a micro-atomic level. Study particle-wave duality. Solid mass or electromagnetic wave frequency is at near-zero state frequency, light is at a higher frequency, follow me? When you change the frequency of mass into a high frequency state, it takes on the properties of photons. When a series of waves go from a low frequency state to a medium-high frequency state to an ultra-high frequency state, you transform mass into light. This allows for levitation and light speed travel using very little Einsteinian energy...

Jan 09 13 07:59 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Geeeeeeezzzzzzz, ALL that out there, and I kain't even find my other shoe  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Jan 09 13 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Visual Serotonin

Los Angeles, California, US

"On another level, though, Fermi’s Paradox can be restated in another and far more threatening way. The logic of the paradox depends on the assumption that unlimited technological progress is possible, and it can be turned without too much difficulty into a logical refutation of the assumption. If unlimited technological progress is possible, then there should be clear evidence of technologically advanced species in the cosmos; there is no such evidence; therefore unlimited technological progress is impossible."

"The difference between going to the moon and going to the stars, in other words, isn’t simply a difference in scale. It’s a difference in kind. It takes literally unimaginable amounts of energy either to accelerate a spacecraft to the relativistic speeds needed to make an interstellar trip in less than a geological time scale, or to keep a manned (or alienned) spacecraft viable for the long trip through deep space. The Saturn V rocket that put Apollo 11 on the moon, the most powerful spacecraft to date, doesn’t even begin to approach the first baby steps toward interstellar travel. This deserves attention, because the most powerful and technologically advanced nation on Earth, riding the crest of one of the greatest economic booms in history and fueling that boom by burning through a half billion years’ worth of fossil fuels at an absurdly extravagant pace, had to divert a noticeable fraction of its total resources to the task of getting a handful of spacecraft across what, in galactic terms, is a whisker-thin gap between neighboring worlds."

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/ … radox.html

Our technological civilization is already breaking at the seams and has maybe but a few decades to last.

Supersonic flight for the masses is gone (Concorde) as well as lunar manned expeditions... soon our ability to send anything in outer space will be gone too.

By then the internet will also die and a few wars for the remaining oil and resources will have consumed what is left of "Technology" in fruitless and merciless conflicts.

On the plus side the biebers and kardashians will be forgotten memory by 2100... people will worry about food and gasoline and surviving past 40.

Just as today the paradigm has switched from worrying about a President inserting cigars into an intern to actual death and wars in the Middle East and a Long Economic and Social Emergency.

Jan 09 13 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Justin wrote:
Oh, goodness.

Just because a metal is magnetic doesn't mean it has levitating properties. If it does, you can put iron in that same category.

I am speaking of diamagnetic materials such as Bismuth and Graphite which can be used to assist in the production of a state of levitation, not ferromagnetic iron.

Magnetic repulsion in response to another magnetic field is not levitation per se. It's magnetism.

Jan 09 13 08:20 am Link

Model

Luna Diosa

Elizabeth, New Jersey, US

London Fog wrote:
According to this article there may be as many as 100 billion planets in our Milky Way alone, and some of these may well host advanced alien life.

http://news.yahoo.com/100-billion-alien … 53897.html

Meanwhile, here on earth, Justin Beiber, Jersey Shore and the Karskankians are what we can offer them when they arrive!

Nice eh?

We are screwed if that is all we offer them they might just blow up the planet lol

Jan 09 13 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Sirius Star Photography

Justin wrote:

Magnetic repulsion in response to another magnetic field is not levitation per se. It's magnetism.

Yes, levitation under high field superconducting magnets (high static magnetic fields) which create a low gravity environment. I'm speaking of levitating objects, not simply how two magnets behave during magnetism .

Jan 09 13 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Justin wrote:

Yes, levitation under high field superconducting magnets (high static magnetic fields) which create a low gravity environment. I'm speaking of levitating objects, not simply how two magnets behave during magnetism .

We've gone from short-lived ununpentium to bismuth "properties of levitation" to diamagnetism to superconducting magnets causing levitation. And faster than light travel, but converting matter into "light" ... which then would, of course, be limited by the speed of light. (And if there's no converter for taking light back to mass at the other end of the journey, it will be off-putting for the travelers.)

All righty. I'm ready to discuss the physics of Stargate.

Jan 09 13 08:57 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Digital Photo PLUS wrote:

I'm taken aback by hyped-up press announcements of scientific discoveries.

Hey, it beats the hell out of the latest Kardashian exploit.

Jan 09 13 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

So you're saying that nanodiode technology is pseudo-science, and that nanodiodes  that are aligned along with zero point energy, free from the universe, acting on them, producing one way electrons, comparable to a photovoltaic cell as photons, free from the sun, acting as a stimulant couldn't possibily be used to create a 1 meter square, solid state device capable of producing continuous energy, free from fluctuations or pollution?

From what I've read about it, it's cold fusion all over again.

Jan 09 13 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Top Level Studio

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

I think that was my point. Even if we could have broadcast wireless electricity like Tesla dreamed of you would have to charge people to use it because the infrastructure would need to be built and maintained...  BTW he did do a successful demonstration of this, but the idea did not catch on.

Broadcast wireless electricity could work well in transmitting energy within limited areas, but unlike sending power through cables, it would drop off with the square of the distance, so broadcasting towers would have to be fairly closely spaced.

Right now, some people are concerned about the energy being broadcast to operate cell phones causing health risks.  If sufficient power to operate cars, truck, buses, and heating/cooling systems for large buildings was being broadcast wirelessly, I think the effects on human health would be obvious very soon, and they would not be good.

Jan 09 13 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

First off, you have to convert mass into light. If something weighs at a zero mass, getting it to achieve light speed would require very little energy, a couple volts.

So, back there on page 2 you said this:

Faster than lighting travel has always been a major topic for quantum, astro and theoretical physicists. In fact, there are multiple ways to achieve faster than light travel.

Notice you said: " IN FACT, ......multiple ways to achieve FASTER than light travel" (emphasis added)

Now you only want to convert MASS into LIGHT and send it across the galaxy (and, I would guess, reconstitute it into MASS after it arrives).  Oh, and you don't want to do this anymore FASTER than the speed of light, you only want to do it AT the speed of light. 

Anyone who wishes to state it is a FACT should be able to tell everyone here the ENERGY necessary to do it.  How much energy does this FACTUAL process you describe need to convert mass into light, beam it across the galaxy, and reconstitute it into mass require?

I also recall you earlier suggesting that the energy required to do this would depend on the distance travelled: 

Of course it would depend on the distance travelled, the amount of space/time you are bending.

How does that jive with your most recent "fact"?

Look, I could care less if you beleive that what you say is true or if you believe that Elvis is still alive.  You can have and espouse any THEORY you wish.  It is voices like yours that make the world interesting.   I am objecting and continue to object at your assertions that it is a FACT.  It isn't.  I may never have even responded to you if your language simply said: "there are multiple THEORIES out there (some of which I strongly believe in) where it is possible to ......."

Jan 09 13 12:24 pm Link

Artist/Painter

JJMiller

Buffalo, New York, US

So you're saying that nanodiode technology is pseudo-science, and that nanodiodes  that are aligned along with zero point energy, free from the universe, acting on them, producing one way electrons, comparable to a photovoltaic cell as photons, free from the sun, acting as a stimulant couldn't possibily be used to create a 1 meter square, solid state device capable of producing continuous energy, free from fluctuations or pollution?

This statement has nothing to do with inter-galactic, faster than light travel. You keep changing the subject as a diversion from bringing forth facts.

Jan 09 13 06:30 pm Link