Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Something Wrong

Photographer

Joe Doetsch

Austin, Texas, US

Something is bothering me about this shot. Part of me is drawn to it but part of me says trash it. Any advice or insight would be helpful....Thanks!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31169452

Jan 03 13 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

It could be saved with editing of the discoloration on the arm and the distracting pink blob in the background. If it isn't worth your time or money to edit that then I would say drop it from your port.

Jan 04 13 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Joe Doetsch

Austin, Texas, US

MesmerEyes Photography wrote:
It could be saved with editing of the discoloration on the arm and the distracting pink blob in the background. If it isn't worth your time or money to edit that then I would say drop it from your port.

The arm discoloration is a birthmark. Do you think it's not to rude to remove it? The pink is an easy fix.

Jan 04 13 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Grace Photographic

Abingdon, Virginia, US

The focal point of a photo should always be the models eyes.
It looks like you are front focused on this one with a spot somewhere near the bolt head on the door being in best focus (the one well above her hand.)
It draws the eye away from what should be the center of attention.

Jan 04 13 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

MesmerEyes Photography

Galveston, Texas, US

Joe Doetsch wrote:

The arm discoloration is a birthmark. Do you think it's not to rude to remove it? The pink is an easy fix.

No, I do not think it would be rude to remove it.

Jan 04 13 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

I don't think the arm discoloration being discussed has anything to do with the birthmark. On my monitor the hand is reddish, the elbow and upper arm have a yellow cast. Much of the image is out of focus. Most of the right arm is a hotspot.
Question: Is this the unedited image? That is where our advice should start OP. thanks.

Jan 04 13 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Doetsch

Austin, Texas, US

DG at studio47 wrote:
I don't think the arm discoloration being discussed has anything to do with the birthmark. On my monitor the hand is reddish, the elbow and upper arm have a yellow cast. Much of the image is out of focus. Most of the right arm is a hotspot.
Question: Is this the unedited image? That is where our advice should start OP. thanks.

Yes. This is straight out of the camera. I have been having focus issues with my 5d mark II as of late. I will focus on the eyes or the chest depending on the composition and it seems to be getting focusing errors quite frequently.

Jan 04 13 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Joe Doetsch wrote:
Something is bothering me about this shot. Part of me is drawn to it but part of me says trash it. Any advice or insight would be helpful....Thanks!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31169452

My eye goes right to the blemish/black speck on the underside of the nose. I actually thought it was a speck on my monitor until I scrolled. I don't see it on any other images of the model?

I can't see anything else.

Edit: OK, I see from other images you took it's a piercing. It looks like other photographers edited that out. That ruins the photo for me just because it's the total center of focus.

Jan 04 13 03:35 pm Link

Model

Acanthus Tattoos

Union, New Jersey, US

nose shadow left side of nose-left from model not viewer perspective is what I thought was a bit off, I like the photo, though

Jan 04 13 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

DG at studio47

East Ridge, Tennessee, US

per the OP comment about focusing problems:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/eos-5dmark … 873441528/

I would recommend that the OP set the image quality to take a RAW image and a high quality Jpeg. I've been doing this for a long time and it gives you quick review [jpeg] and more latitude [RAW] in editing.

Best wishes!

Jan 05 13 06:25 am Link

Photographer

OmnyRa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Aside from uneven tones on the arm, and the very distracting, big pink blotch on the wall-
The bullring piercing is just wrong on this llama. The balls are right at the tips of her nostrils and you can't see any of the ring, which draws even more attention to the black balls which look like twin moles or boogers hanging on her upper lip. Personally, I think anything, ornamental or not, hanging out of a place as unsanitary as the germ and dirt filtering, mucous-channeling nostrils is gross to look at,

Jan 05 13 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Joe Doetsch

Austin, Texas, US

OmnyRa wrote:
Aside from uneven tones on the arm, and the very distracting, big pink blotch on the wall-
The bullring piercing is just wrong on this llama. The balls are right at the tips of her nostrils and you can't see any of the ring, which draws even more attention to the black balls which look like twin moles or boogers hanging on her upper lip. Personally, I think anything, ornamental or not, hanging out of a place as unsanitary as the germ and dirt filtering, mucous-channeling nostrils is gross to look at,

I think I agree with everyone regarding the piercing. It didn't even become that noticeable to me till everyone mentioned it. Now it's slapping me in the face. smile

Jan 06 13 08:34 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

OmnyRa wrote:
The bullring piercing is just wrong on this model. The balls are right at the tips of her nostrils and you can't see any of the ring, which draws even more attention to the black balls which look like twin moles or boogers hanging on her upper lip. Personally, I think anything, ornamental or not, hanging out of a place as unsanitary as the germ and dirt filtering, mucous-channeling nostrils is gross to look at,

100+

Jan 06 13 08:43 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Her entire arm doesn't even look like it belongs on her body. It looks like a little kid swapped arms on his old HeMan action figures. To me, it looks like you pushed/pulled the contrast a bit too much in your post processing.

Also, the textures are all muddy.

Jan 06 13 08:46 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Joe Doetsch wrote:
Yes. This is straight out of the camera. I have been having focus issues with my 5d mark II as of late. I will focus on the eyes or the chest depending on the composition and it seems to be getting focusing errors quite frequently.

If THIS is straight out of camera (a 5D Mk II, no less), I strongly suggest that you set all of your custom modes/colors, etc. to ZERO and try again.

Jan 06 13 08:49 am Link