Forums > Newbie Forum > friend reqeusts followers

Model

Sarah-Anne2

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

What are these for? ....what are friend requests for ?
I thought we only contact each other to arrange shoots etc
Some one please explain the basic culture of MM or am gong to get lost and leave
P.s sorry for spelling and grammar that is wrong I am using mobile phone
Thanks x

Jan 07 13 10:00 am Link

Photographer

DOUGLASFOTOS

Los Angeles, California, US

Sarah-Anne2 wrote:
Some one please explain the basic culture of MM or am gong to get lost and leave
Thanks x

If you don't require friends.....do not accept them. ok..everything is a ok in Mayberry.

Jan 07 13 10:02 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

it's also a social network. i just accept all friend requests even though they don't mean much. if it's a local model i might contact them.

but if someone wants to shoot with me they should tag me or send me a message.

Jan 07 13 10:05 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

I only do friends request if I have worked with them or met them so others ca ask my friends about me.
L2

Jan 07 13 10:08 am Link

Model

Sarah-Anne2

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom

I have a tag but I'm not quit sure how they work

Jan 07 13 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Mansfield, Texas, US

The Mayhem is a networking site.  Friends, tags, comments, contests, forums, its all a way to get your name out there.  You will do great, enjoy the Mayhem.

Jan 07 13 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Sarah-Anne2 wrote:
I have a tag but I'm not quit sure how they work

Tags are when someone posts a note on your profile page, so you have to go to your profile page to view it.

People use friends lists different ways, networking, keeping track of other people, keeping track of other artists whose work you appreciate, and other people doing the same.

Ultimately, it is up to each person to use those tools how they feel suits them best.

Jan 07 13 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

mac13photography

New York, New York, US

I've also been wondering the same thing lately.  Obviosuly I know what they are for (and I know each model is different and goes case by case) but I'd love to hear some model input.  Do you prefer a FR before a PM/email requestin a shoot or is it better to just send a message first and forgo the FR?  Thanks for all input!

Jan 10 13 09:38 am Link

Photographer

mac13photography

New York, New York, US

Jan 10 13 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Sarah-Anne2 wrote:
Thanks x

Friends just establishes a connection, and it can make someone easier to find if you want to send them a message. 

I think that some accounts can make "Friends only" folders for pictures, but I'm not sure.

Jan 10 13 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Nicholas Fischer

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

I only friend request people who live in my province or who often travel to my area except for retouchers cause I just need to deal with them online. I'm not a friend collector and I only do the friend thing for the connections and networking.

Jan 10 13 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Chiaroscuro

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I suspect many here tend to think of "friends" listings as bookmarks -  simply a way to keep track of those who's portfolios one might wish to refer back to or those who have taken time to comment an image or leave a tag.

I deny requests only from obvious friend-collectors because I just don't see the point.

If I send a FR it is because I am interested in working with that person or would like to keep track of their progress or ongoing work.

Jan 10 13 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Art of the nude wrote:
snip -

I think that some accounts can make "Friends only" folders for pictures, but I'm not sure.

Yes this is correct, Premium / VIP accounts can set privacy settings on image folders.

Jan 10 13 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

I use "friends" here in a couple of different ways. Normally, I browse through and if I see a model or an MUA, Stylist, etc, that I think I may want to work with, I send them a Friends Request. If I'm casting something personally, I search through my friends list before I use the browse function. Sometimes, like Twohearts up there, I friend people to keep up with them, bounce ideas off them, ask questions of them, etc. Then, there are those who I am just purely a fan of, and will probably never meet in person, or work with for that matter, and I friend them as it makes it easier to check out their new stuff. Many different reasons for the same thing. It's networking! big_smile

Jan 10 13 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ed W Photography nudes

Savannah, Georgia, US

Sarah-Anne2 wrote:
Thanks x

There's really no point to friends here.  With the possible exception of being able to see folders that are marked "friends only"

If you really want to keep up with others on here, put them on your "Favorites" list.

Jan 10 13 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Art of the nude

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

Ed W Photography nudes wrote:
There's really no point to friends here.  With the possible exception of being able to see folders that are marked "friends only"

If you really want to keep up with others on here, put them on your "Favorites" list.

Or, make them friends.  I think there's no point to "favorites" and I basically always forget that that option exists.  But, if it works for you, go with it.  One of the nice things about having multiple options is that different people tend to have different preferences.

Jan 10 13 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Ed W Photography nudes wrote:

OR you could use your "favorites" one way and your "friends" a different way (such as to keep track of different things" and then use the "browse" feature specifying either list to find people on those lists based on location (or other criteria).

There are definite points to doing so, but of course not everyone does things the same or sees value in the same things.

Jan 10 13 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Sarah-Anne2 wrote:

How will the contact be initiated?

Jan 10 13 07:21 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

I accept or initiate friend requests based on previous interaction. If you're in or near my area and there's a chance we'll shoot some day, I'll accept or initiate a friend request.

If we've had other interaction like PM or something more than the basic forum chatter, I may send a friend request especially if I like your work / look.

Other than that I'm not here to collect friend. Drive by friend requests are always denied.

Jan 11 13 05:42 am Link

Model

Will Topham

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Im pretty new to the site too and I hadn't thought much about receiving friend requests. I have accepted them all just because without them, it will be harder to get your name out there. The more people you know in this business the better!

Jan 11 13 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I send friend requests to people I'd like to work with - and often  just because I like the work (even if they're too far away to make working with them practical or likely).

When I'm looking for a model or planning a trip, I always start by searching my friends list.

Jan 11 13 08:35 am Link