Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Your favorite scripture and why?

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

Jan 10 13 09:41 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

1 Kings 7:23

"Then he made the molten sea; it was round, ten cubits from brim to brim, and five cubits high. A line of thirty cubits would encircle it completely."

Proof that the Bible is the product of man's flawed imagination.

Jan 10 13 09:47 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

Jan 10 13 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

"Turn! Turn! Turn!" - The Byrds

Why? 'Cuz it's true.

After Revelation and Judith (Protestants may not know that one), Ecclesiastes is my fave book o' the bible.

Jan 10 13 10:12 pm Link

Model

Ronin_LLC

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:

Are you being legit do you know what that piece scripture is even describing? Or are you just trying to stir up trouble because you are clearly not a believer? Which is fine by the way as I already addressed that in the OP.

The passage is in reference to God's exact measurements to the bronze-worker named Hiram on how he was to make the vessel for Solomon temple.

One of the many examples of errors in the bible due to man's lack of knowledge of due to the lack of science in those days.

Jan 10 13 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:
What is your favorite piece of scripture from the Bible and why?

If you are or are not a believer it doesn't matter maybe it was a scripture that stuck with you since childhood, maybe it calmed you in a hard time, maybe you just find the writing beautiful and poetic. Whatever the reason I would like to know the scripture and why it holds that place in your life.

=]

Mine... They remind me that God always has a plan and there is always hope he will never leave us or forsake us.

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."

Hebrews 6:19
"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

2 Corinthians 4:8-9
"We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

Matthew 7:15

Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

Jan 10 13 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

JSandersPhotography

Topeka, Kansas, US

I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.
When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, “Come!” Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make people kill each other. To him was given a large sword.
When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “Two pounds of wheat for a day’s wages, and six pounds of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!”
When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

I'm not even christian.  I've just always had an interest in the Four Horsemen.  Blame comics is you like, but there it is. 

Second favorite:  They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly."  Genesis 11:3.  Cause it makes me laugh.

Jan 10 13 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

JSandersPhotography

Topeka, Kansas, US

Hmmm, DP monster
There's actually a funny story involving the second quote and DP.

Jan 10 13 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

DEL GENO

Houston, Texas, US

And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up and as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day and stood up for to read. And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, to preach the acceptable year of the Lord." And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears."

Luke, Chapter 4, Verses 16-21

One of my favorites because no matter how many times I read or hear it, it gives me chills. I imagine that that scripture had been read many times before in the room where they were gathered but obviously not with THAT proclamation at the end. I imagine them all whispering to each other, "What did he just say???"

Jan 10 13 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

2 Kings 2:23-24

23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

Respect your elders or bears will fucking eat you.

Jan 10 13 10:26 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Also, Psalm 137:1-4, because of this and also this.

Jan 10 13 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Revelation 20:1-3

Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding the key to the bottomless pit, with a large chain in his hand.

He captured the dragon, that ancient serpent, also known as the devil and Satan, and tied him up for a thousand years.

He threw him into the bottomless pit,b locked it, and sealed it over him to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were over. After that, he must be set free for a little while.

I love how it sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings and then at the end they pop up with "and then you have to set him free for a little while" lol

Jan 10 13 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I used to be in finance... so... Chapter 11 worked well... tongue

Jan 10 13 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

This was my confirmation verse, and helped me to leave Christianity. 

Proverbs 4:7  Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Jan 10 13 11:02 pm Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Levitcus 18:19

“You shall not approach a woman to uncover her nakedness while she is in her menstrual uncleanness."

Levitcus 15:16

“If a man has an emission of semen, he shall bathe his whole body in water and be unclean until the evening."

Geez, people are soooo dirty!  Gotta love the Bible.   tongue

Jan 10 13 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Numbers 31 17-18.

Because God commanding the Jews to kill the male children and rape the female children is a great way to shut up people who don't know what the bible says, but want to tell you about it anyway.

I also like Genesis 7 2, where God tells Noah to take seven mated pairs of each clean animal onto the ark.  Shattering peoples elaborate fantasies of a single pair of each animal is a great way to shut up people who don't know what the bible says, but want to tell you about it anyway.

I like all of Genesis in fact, because God gives mankind his first commandment there.  More than forty times if I remember right.  And, again, for the same reasons as above...

Jan 10 13 11:21 pm Link

Model

Caperucita Roja

London, England, United Kingdom

Ezekiel 25:17:
'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.'

wink

Jan 10 13 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

Los Angeles, California, US

Caperucita Roja wrote:
Ezekiel 25:17:
'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know that my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.'

wink

https://pulpfictionwallets.com/jules-with-gun.gif

Jan 10 13 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

kickfight wrote:
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

"Turn! Turn! Turn!" - The Byrds

Why? 'Cuz it's true.

borat

Yup. Quite so.

Now I'll wait in happy anticipation for the "favorite Shakespeare passage" thread.

Jan 11 13 07:07 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

my favorites:

Psalm 23:4
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me"
(just love how poetic and comforting this is)

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
(everytime I read this, I feel regret for how wrong I have been behaving and it inspired me to want to be a better person)

Jan 11 13 07:11 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Everything in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas.

Jan 11 13 07:15 am Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

-JAY- wrote:
2 Kings 2:23-24

Respect your elders or bears will fucking eat you.

lol

Jan 11 13 07:16 am Link

Model

Melodye Joy

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I grew up reading the Bible and Shakespear by age 6.

Nan would read to me every afternoon, after daycare/school.

There are many scriptures I hold dear, but the one I hold most is John 3:16.

God bless y'all!
Have a great day and a blessed weekend!

Jan 11 13 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Andialu

San Pedro, California, US

Melodye Joy wrote:
I grew up reading the Bible and Shakespear by age 6.

Nan would read to me every afternoon, after daycare/school.

There are many scriptures I hold dear, but the one I hold most is John 3:16.

God bless y'all!
Have a great day and a blessed weekend!

That's what John 3:16 says? yikes

Jan 11 13 07:27 am Link

Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm not a Christian, but I have liked Timothy 4:12 for many years:

"Let no man despise your youth, but be an example to believers in word and in behavior, in love, in faith and in purity."

Jan 11 13 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

I've always been fond of Matthew 6:1-34.

"Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward."

Jan 11 13 07:34 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

I always liked Ezekiel 23:19-20.

Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose ejaculation was like that of horses.

I think this is the first historical statement to the effect, "Once you go black, you don't go back."

Jan 11 13 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Tim Little Photography

Wilmington, Delaware, US

The Bible talks directly about the "Radical Religious Right". Those people who vote to reduce health care to children and constantly bear false witness against our president.

Matthew 7:15-23

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

I think this is spot on and describes those people who have turned from Jesus and worship the bible instead. Their religion has become their god. All God ever wanted from any of us was to love him and love our neighbor. That's all.

Jan 11 13 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Svend

Windsor, Colorado, US

I love the ones where god freaks out and orders a bunch of people dead:

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked.  Show no mercy; have no pity!  Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children.  But do not touch anyone with the mark.  Begin your task right here at the Temple."  So they began by killing the seventy leaders.  "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded.  "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill!  Go!"  So they went throughout the city and did as they were told."   (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword.  Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes.  Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes.  For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off.  The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows.  They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Oh, and this cute one about killing non-believers...  It just goes to show that all these loving "true" Christians are doing it wrong!  You're supposed to be killing atheists and worshippers of false gods, else you'll be dining in hell right along with them. big_smile

Cursed be he who does the Lords work remissly, cursed be he who holds back his sword from blood. (Jeremiah 48:10 NAB)

Fun stuff lol

*edit*

I forgot this awesome one!

When you go to war against your enemies and (God) delivers them into your hands and you take captives, if you notice among the captives a beautiful woman and are attracted to her, you may take her as your wife. Bring her into your home and have her shave her head…After she has lived in your house and mourned her father and mother for a full month, then you may go to her and be her husband and she shall be your wife. (Deuteronomy 21:10-13)

Jan 11 13 08:05 am Link

Model

-Nicole-

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Svend wrote:
I love the ones where god freaks out and orders a bunch of people dead:

"Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, "Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked.  Show no mercy; have no pity!  Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children.  But do not touch anyone with the mark.  Begin your task right here at the Temple."  So they began by killing the seventy leaders.  "Defile the Temple!" the LORD commanded.  "Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill!  Go!"  So they went throughout the city and did as they were told."   (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword.  Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes.  Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes.  For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off.  The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows.  They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Oh, and this cute one about killing non-believers...  It just goes to show that all these loving "true" Christians are doing it wrong!  You're supposed to be killing atheists and worshippers of false gods, else you'll be dining in hell right along with them. big_smile

Cursed be he who does the Lords work remissly, cursed be he who holds back his sword from blood. (Jeremiah 48:10 NAB)

Fun stuff lol

Or stoning a disobedient son ..
"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard." 21 Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death."

Jan 11 13 08:14 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
I always liked Ezekiel 23:19-20.

Yet she became more and more promiscuous as she recalled the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose ejaculation was like that of horses.

I think this is the first historical statement to the effect, "Once you go black, you don't go back."

lol

Jan 11 13 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Jan 11 13 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Verbatim Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:

The passage is in reference to God's exact measurements to the bronze-worker named Hiram on how he was to make the vessel for Solomon temple.

One of the many examples of errors in the bible due to man's lack of knowledge of due to the lack of science in those days.

+1

Jan 11 13 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

For those who might take exception to some of the more horrid passages in the bible, just remember - The bible is not a smorgasbord buffet where you can pick & choose the parts you want to believe in and follow.  It's an all or nothing scenario.

That's why I choose nothing.

Jan 11 13 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Ronin_LLC wrote:
1 Kings 7:23

"Then he made the molten sea; it was round, ten cubits from brim to brim, and five cubits high. A line of thirty cubits would encircle it completely."

Proof that the Bible is the product of man's flawed imagination.

Ronin_LLC wrote:

An error in the Bible? Or in your interpretation? Look at what's there in the wording.

The brim is the upper edge - not the base. wink You're assuming the base is the same dimension, but the Bible doesn't state the dimension of the base. The Bible states a line of 30 cubits would encircle it completely. Reasonable conclusion; the molten sea was tapered towards it's bottom.

1 Thessalonians 5:21: "Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine."

Jan 11 13 09:15 am Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jim Ball wrote:
For those who might take exception to some of the more horrid passages in the bible, just remember - The bible is not a smorgasbord buffet where you can pick & choose the parts you want to believe in and follow.  It's an all or nothing scenario.

That's why I choose nothing.

Well that simply isn't true at all.

If someone wants to believe in one thing, who are you to tell then they're wrong? If they for want to believe another, again, what business is it of yours..?

Jan 11 13 09:58 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Presley ONeil wrote:

Well that simply isn't true at all.

If someone wants to believe in one thing, who are you to tell then they're wrong? If they for want to believe another, again, what business is it of yours..?

well, because for a lot of people who pick and choose... they're hypocrits. for instance, doing one thing that the bible says you can't do, but when someone else does something they're all like "nono, the bible says you can't do that!!"

Jan 11 13 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

My favorite passage from scripture is:

We put thirty spokes together and call it a wheel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the wheel depends.
We turn clay to make a vessel;
But it is on the space where there is nothing that the usefulness of the vessel depends.
We pierce doors and windows to make a house;
And it is on these spaces where there is nothing that the usefulness of the house depends.
Therefore just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the usefulness of what is not.
Tao Te Ching (chap. 11, tr. Waley)

Jan 11 13 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Anna Adrielle wrote:

well, because for a lot of people who pick and choose... they're hypocrits. for instance, doing one thing that the bible says you can't do, but when someone else does something they're all like "nono, the bible says you can't do that!!"

This, plus the inverse where people choose to do one thing the bible says to do and ignores another thing the bible says to do.

If it's ALL the infallible Word of God, as most (all?) xtians claim, how can they pick and choose what parts they follow and what parts they ignore?

Jan 11 13 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Photos 4 The Memories

Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US

udor wrote:
I used to be in finance... so... Chapter 11 worked well... tongue

Sometimes chapter 7 works.

Jan 11 13 03:07 pm Link