This thread was locked on 2013-01-12 00:35:40
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Getting my first tattoo!

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

I am getting my first tattoo soon hopefully in February if all goes as planned! It will be going on my back on the right shoulder.

I am getting an anchor for my time served in the Navy with Hebrews 6:19 under it "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure". It was a big part of my life and was a call from God that I answered. It didn't turn out how I thought it would but God's plan is better than my own, and I still learned so much from that experience I wouldn't change it at all knowing what I know now.

What are some of your tattoos?

What are the stories behind them?

I would love to see pics =]

Jan 11 13 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Leviticus 19:28

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Jan 11 13 06:04 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

Tropic Light wrote:
Leviticus 19:28

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Awesome scripture bro but that's Old Testament we don't follow it anymore. And he was talking to pagans that were burning ash into their skin to worship the dead. Tattoos today are pieces of art not symbols of idolatry.

So how about you stop throwing my own faith in my face when I have already researched this one on my own.

Jan 11 13 06:08 pm Link

Model

misszara

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

^ I was about to say, it says in the Bible you should not get markings or tattoos hmm

Jan 11 13 06:09 pm Link

Model

modeled

San Diego, California, US

Who hacked Lisa's account?

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Jan 11 13 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Paul AI

Shawnee, Oklahoma, US

I have a portrait of Jimi Hendrix and Hendrix' signature among others.

Jan 11 13 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

Los Angeles, California, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:

Scars are tattoos with better stories. wink

Jan 11 13 06:11 pm Link

Model

misszara

modeled wrote:

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

That's what I was thinking! haha

Jan 11 13 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:
Awesome scripture bro but that's Old Testament we don't follow it anymore.

Wait!  What? You don't follow the 10 Commandments? What kind of so-called Christian denomination are you?  Or is it that you only follow the pages of the Bible that are convenient?

Jan 11 13 06:15 pm Link

Model

modeled

Just get a Henna drawing instead lol

Henna artists at the Festival of India will demonstrate the process of applying Henna.Choose a motif from their catalog, and watch it gloriously recreated.
Henna is a form of completely organic Herbal temporary tattoo, which lasts for typically 1 -2 weeks.

https://www.iohu.org/rathayatra/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/henna3.jpg

Jan 11 13 06:16 pm Link

Model

modeled

Jan 11 13 06:16 pm Link

Model

Mischa Marie

Sacramento, California, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:

Awesome scripture bro but that's Old Testament we don't follow it anymore. And he was talking to pagans that were burning ash into their skin to worship the dead. Tattoos today are pieces of art not symbols of idolatry.

So how about you stop throwing my own faith in my face when I have already researched this one on my own.

Not to stray off topic, but this is actually useful information because most people quote Leviticus when speaking of the "sins" of gay marriage. I'm not super knowledgeable on the bible but I always thought Leviticus was no longer followed.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Jan 11 13 06:17 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:
I am getting an anchor for my time served in the Navy

How long were you in the Navy?

Did you even make it out of basic training?

Jan 11 13 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

What Fun Productions

Phoenix, Arizona, US

https://funtimeshad.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/tPnCO1.jpg

Photographer

Tropic Light

Kailua, Hawaii, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:

I'm quite okay with tattoos.  When it comes to following Old Testament laws, it depends on who you talk to and what the subject matter involves, as to the level of adherence to those scriptures.  For example, I don't know of any Christians who stone their disobedient children to death, but I do know of Christians who turn to the OT in condemning gays.

Model

modeled

ArtisticPhotography wrote:
Wait!  What? You don't follow the 10 Commandments? What kind of so-called Christian denomination are you?  Or is it that you only follow the pages of the Bible that are convenient?

^Doesn't matter, 1 Corinthians is in the New Testament.

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

modeled wrote:

Yes this piece of scripture is referring to physical sin on the body one in particular being sexual sin as noted in the scripture just above. But also that the holy spirit dwells within us as a gift from God. We have been given responsible stewardship over own bodies we should not mutilate ourselves or become obsessed with body modification. None of those things I practice I am responsible with my body. There is a thing called balance in life I am not addicted to getting tattoos and never will be. I plan on getting a few in my life and that is all.

Christians can get tattoos to think otherwise is ridiculous how many women have their ears pierced are you going to tell them that's a sin? That's legalism at it's finest. My husband is the worship leader of my church and he has two tattoos and his ears are gauged. Many people who attend our church also have tattoos one guy has full sleeves on both arms. We don't care about it this is one that is for the individual to decide.

Jan 11 13 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

Lisa Andresen wrote:
Awesome scripture bro but that's Old Testament we don't follow it anymore.

Convenient! Religion has become a buffet table where folks throw out things they don't want, only follow what they feel like, and use their beliefs as an excuse to belittle those who disagree with them.

Jan 11 13 06:20 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

Mischa Marie wrote:

Not to stray off topic, but this is actually useful information because most people quote Leviticus when speaking of the "sins" of gay marriage. I'm not super knowledgeable on the bible but I always thought Leviticus was no longer followed.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Except that homosexual activity is directly called a sin in the New testament as well.

Jan 11 13 06:21 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

California Girls Skate wrote:

Convenient! Religion has become a buffet table where folks throw out things they don't want, only follow what they feel like, and use their beliefs as an excuse to belittle those who disagree with them.

No it's called when Christ died on the cross a new covenant was entered in with God and his people. We no longer offer up animal blood sacrifices because that is old testament and is the old covenant Christ's blood on the cross made that no longer needed.

Same with this God was talking to the Isrealites telling them to stop acting pagan. A tattoo back then is not what a tattoo is today.

Jan 11 13 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I hope this means you'll no longer be preaching to other people what they should and should not do with their bodies and their choices.

Jan 11 13 06:24 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

How did I know this was going to happen once again blasted in the face with religion when I am not even the one talking about it.

This is going to get shut down really fast by the MODs so just forget it I am out!

Jan 11 13 06:25 pm Link

Model

modeled

Lisa Andresen wrote:
My husband is the worship leader of my church and he has two tattoos and his ears are gauged. Many people who attend our church also have tattoos one guy has full sleeves on both arms. We don't care about it this is one that is for the individual to decide.

I've been members of churches with congregations that are like this and while I see where you are coming from, I still disagree that a tattoo is the same thing as an earring.  A tattoo is like a thousand piercings and it is quite painful i've been told.

Just because your husband did it doesn't make it biblical same goes for your peers at church. 

Spend some time in Southern California, everyone is tattooed there!  It's more unique not to get tattooed IMHO.

Jan 11 13 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
How long were you in the Navy?

Did you even make it out of basic training?

::sound of crickets::

Jan 11 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

DougBPhoto wrote:
I hope this means you'll no longer be preaching to other people what they should and should not do with their bodies and their choices.

^This.^

At the very least, I hope this makes you a touch more aware of the variety of interpretations Biblical passages can have, particularly taken out of context or in the extreme literal sense.

Jan 11 13 06:26 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

DougBPhoto wrote:

This is an area that the bible is not clear on and is up to the individual to decide and their motivations for wanting and getting a tattoo. I have done the research into the scripture on this matter for myself and I know my own heart and motivations for this tattoo.

Jan 11 13 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:
I am getting my first tattoo soon hopefully in February if all goes as planned! It will be going on my back on the right shoulder.

I am getting an anchor for my time served in the Navy with Hebrews 6:19 under it "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure". It was a big part of my life and was a call from God that I answered. It didn't turn out how I thought it would but God's plan is better than my own, and I still learned so much from that experience I wouldn't change it at all knowing what I know now.

I would love to see pics =]

I'd suggest you get something from say, Matthew 7.1 & 7.2

It might serve as a great reminder to you throughout your life...

Jan 11 13 06:30 pm Link

Model

misszara

Lisa Andresen wrote:

Except that homosexual activity is directly called a sin in the New testament as well.

Waiiiitt.... so something needs to be in both testaments? Otherwise we disregard it? hmm

Jan 11 13 06:30 pm Link

Model

modeled

Just answer me this...do you honestly think being tattooed sends the right message to people about what you believe?  Do you think most non-believers will "deeply study scripture" in order to better understand where you are coming from as a believer?

Jan 11 13 06:31 pm Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  "keep your nose out of other people's gardens, or you will feel the poke of the torns."  "mind your business." -My mama.

"Before you start trying to meddle in other people's business, you should start trying to get your shit in order."-Veedan Shimakuura

and the best, from my Gamma Green.

"People who use scripture to win arguments are taking the Lord's name in vain."

OP, I can't wait to see the picture, please post it! smile

Jan 11 13 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Cosplay Creatives

Syowa - permanent station of Japan, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

IBML

Jan 11 13 06:32 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

modeled wrote:
I've been members of churches with congregations that are like this and while I see where you are coming from, I still disagree that a tattoo is the same thing as an earring.  A tattoo is like a thousand piercings and it is quite painful i've been told.

Just because your husband did it doesn't make it biblical same goes for your peers at church. 

Spend some time in Southern California, everyone is tattooed there!  It's more unique not to get tattooed IMHO.

I am free in Christ and his sacrifice on the cross I don't practice legalism and neither does my church. I don't hang onto Old Testament law and the old covenant. I believe this is an issue that the Bible is not clear on and comes down to the individual believer and their relationship with God. I know my heart and my motivations and that is all that matters.

Jan 11 13 06:32 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

Frances Jewel wrote:
"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  "keep your nose out of other people's gardens, or you will feel the poke of the torns."  "mind your business." -My mama.

"Before you start trying to meddle in other people's business, you should start trying to get your shit in order."-Veedan Shimakuura

and the best, from my Gamma Green.

"People who use scripture to win arguments are taking the Lord's name in vain."

OP, I can't wait to see the picture, please post it! smile

I will =]

Jan 11 13 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

misszara wrote:

Waiiiitt.... so something needs to be in both testaments? Otherwise we disregard it? hmm

Remember, Love they Neighbor, except if your neighbor is gay. Oh wait, she doesn't believe in the 10 Commandments so she doesn't even have to love they neighbor!

Jan 11 13 06:35 pm Link

Model

Frances Jewel

Dayton, Ohio, US

http://www.heavymetalchurch.com/

This is my church. Anyone want to tell us that we aren't believers? Appearances don't mean squat, it is what is in your heart.

Jan 11 13 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Carter

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:

The Old Testament is the BASIS of most fundamental Christian beliefs.

But if you want to ignore the faith question, fine. Weren't you in the Navy for like a week, and had to quit/got dropped?

Jan 11 13 06:37 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm not going to insult you like some have here, even if you've been preachy. That's on you. Hope the tattoo turns out well smile

Mine was a tattoo of irises and stargazers for my grandmother, who was a great example and who improved my life greatly. She passed away a couple of years back, she got a septic infection from bacteria in her garden. Irises were her favorite flower. Lilies were also a favorite, and she let them grow wild in her backyard. There are waves in the background, which represent my childhood home.

Jan 11 13 06:38 pm Link

Model

J Jessica

Coconut Creek, Florida, US

Since we're already off-topic, I must ask...

Do Chinese food companies normally cook their vegetable fried rice in animal fat/chicken broth?

I hope not.

I'm vegetarian and i've been eating that for ages.

sad

Jan 11 13 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

ArtisticPhotography

Buffalo, New York, US

Lisa Andresen wrote:
No it's called when Christ died on the cross a new covenant was entered in with God and his people. We no longer offer up animal blood sacrifices because that is old testament and is the old covenant Christ's blood on the cross made that no longer needed.

This is cool. Jesus died and you entered a new covenant and extinguished the old one. But Jesus was Jewish, studied the Old Testament, he was a Rabbi and he clearly believed in Rabbinical Law. So you're saying that you don't believe that Jesus believed? You don't believe in the Old Testament. You don't believe in the 10 Commandments.

But doesn't that mean that you don't truly believe in all of the New Testament and Jesus' teachings as well?  Doesn't it mean that you've chosen to ignore what is inconvenient? How can you not believe in the Old Testament and still believe in Matthew 22:36-40, for example; which directly references the Old Testament?

Seems like a pick-what-you-want smorgasbord, if you ask me. Get a tattoo if it's the cool thing to do.

NEVER read the books of the new Testament

Jan 11 13 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

California Girls Skate

Lisa Andresen wrote:
I believe this is an issue that the Bible is not clear on and comes down to the individual believer and their relationship with God. I know my heart and my motivations and that is all that matters.

In other words, you feel the Bible is flawed and you don't care what it says, all that matters is what you have decided to believe in.

Get the tattoo. It's a wonderful sign of conformity. Everyone has them these days. Non-conformists have become the people who have no ink. wink

Jan 11 13 06:46 pm Link