Forums > Photography Talk > wedding guests with same/better gear

Photographer

Beyond the Physical

HOLMDEL, New Jersey, US

I love taking my Canon 1D X to weddings while I am just a guest ... it makes such a fashion statement

Feb 07 13 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kenny Goldberg

Costa Mesa, California, US

We don't get hired for our gear. Professionals are hired to create beautiful images, however we are expected to know how to use whatever gear we have. There will always be someone with newer, bigger, better gear.

Feb 07 13 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Withers Photo

New York, New York, US

I didn't bother reading this entire thread, so apologies if this was already said, but I wouldn't give even a moment's notice to what camera the guests are using. Our images are all about LIGHTING, and I have yet to see a guest bring along a bunch of off-camera speedlights and strobes as I do to my weddings and events. IN ADDITION to my experienced eye and careful exposure balance of my on-camera flash and ambient light, I am wirelessly triggering lights that I have also skill-fully set around the room to ensure that my images are ridiculously better-defined and professionally lit in comparison to whatever the guests are shooting with, whether they have a D4 or not.

I am only bothered once they start getting in my way, getting in my frame to grab their's, etc. Then I just tap them on the shoulder, shake my head at them, and they usually leave me alone for the remainder of the evening and even apologize.

Just my 2c.

Feb 07 13 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Al Green XM

Townsville, Queensland, Australia

Bet they dont have a better eye than you do - I really like your work

Feb 08 13 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Navid

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't care for their gear, the problem is the better their gear, they are more in my way. That makes me get closer to them using a wide lens, which is not my preference.

http://navidsohi.com

Feb 08 13 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Dumas Photography

Allen, Texas, US

When I walk into a wedding with my two Nikon D4's in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, guests want to know who I am...

:-)

(this is a joke, I would NEVER walk into a wedding with....

....  a glass of wine...   LOL)

Feb 08 13 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sentimental-SINtimental

Longview, Washington, US

Don't worry about their stuff till the Bride and Groom say they should have had the guest with the D4 or MF gear shoot them cause you were too busy watching the other guy

Feb 08 13 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

gone for good

Andover, England, United Kingdom

twoharts wrote:
...but it's hard to outgun the guests these days unless you have like  a D4.

...so a "pro" will have to distinguish themselves through other means than camera technology. but maybe that has always been the case.

I didn't know the equipment was what distinguished a "pro" form a GWC.

Claiming equipment is the the most important thing in making the shot, is akin to claiming it's the pot and pan the chef used to make the wonderful meal.  IMHO

Feb 09 13 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Bui photography

Humble, Texas, US

twoharts wrote:
i got caught with the wrong lens on for the garter toss (they had told me we were going outside to shoot the car in the dark so i put on my 50f1.4 and then suddenly they announced the garter toss) and they didn't wait for me to put back on my wide angle lens. weddings kind of take on a life of their own and with so many guests shooting now (sometimes as many as 20) maybe they don't even notice if the "official" photographer is missing.

it just makes me wonder if there will come a time when there just isn't a need for an official event photographer, except maybe for the formals and some specialty shots (our brides are doing their own albums through shutter fly). then again, the guests might do some weird instagram thing to every image. lol.

so maybe our role isn't necessarily to get better images than the guests but rather to deliver comprehensive coverage in a timely manner.

I got every flash & lense for every camera I brought... NO time to change in & out

Feb 16 13 07:41 pm Link