Forums > Photography Talk > Help! Need list of photos with dimensions... how?

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

San Diego, California, US

Sorry I couldn't make the title more clear, but here is a problem I keep running into and I can't seem to find a solution.  Perhaps someone else has.

PROBLEM:
I shoot a large number of photos at an event, retouch and recrop each one on my computer, then create a reduced size (and watermarked) set for posting online.

Then, along comes a client/publisher/news agency wanting to license certain photos, but needs a certain minimum pixel dimensions (say, 1200x1600).  I have no way of easily providing that info for a photo of hundreds (or thousands) of photos without going through them one by one.

SOLUTION?
I would be happy with a text list OR a contact sheet with filename and dimensions. File size would be nice too. THERE SEEMS TO BE NO WAY TO CREATE THIS!

I have Photoshop CS5 and Bridge... they can only create contact sheets with a filename, nothing more.

Thanks!

Jan 17 13 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The last version of ThumbsPlus I saw, I think you could add pixel dimensions, file size etc on contact sheets. Maybe check their site and see if the newest version has those features.

Jan 17 13 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Concept Studio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

You did not say Mac or Windows but Windows has the option to display the dimensions:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8390756664_959cfe3e48_o.png

Jan 17 13 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just checked on my Windows 7 machine here in the office, you can show Dimensions as part of your file list view. That would also work if you printed that list (I have that machines list view set to details).

ETA - What he said ^^^^ smile

Jan 17 13 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

I'm on Windows 7, 64-bit.

Yes, I've used the Windows Explorer to vreate a custom view of the folder showing the info I want, but there is no way (I know of) to put that into a file to send the the client.

Screenshot doesn't isn't what I want because I shoot 1,500 - 3,000 photos at some events, so it would take me DAYS to scoll/screen shot the folder hundreds of times.

Perhaps there is a way to do that I don't know about?

Jan 17 13 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Creative Concept Studio

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Resize the image(s) they want to their spec.

Jan 17 13 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

Creative Concept Studio wrote:
Resize the image(s) they want to their spec.

No... I never want to upsize an image, that just creates bad quality and ruins reputations.

I shoot a lot of red carpet and surfing photos, so in both cases I'm using 400mm zoom and often crop rather severely to get nice close-ups.  I can't provide an image like that to a client who wants to print it as a full page 300dpi.  I want to be honest and provide the client with the ORIGINAL resolution (which is the max it can be used).

Jan 17 13 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Dale at Killer Image wrote:
Sorry I couldn't make the title more clear, but here is a problem I keep running into and I can't seem to find a solution.  Perhaps someone else has.

PROBLEM:
I shoot a large number of photos at an event, retouch and recrop each one on my computer, then create a reduced size (and watermarked) set for posting online.

Then, along comes a client/publisher/news agency wanting to license certain photos, but needs a certain minimum pixel dimensions (say, 1200x1600).  I have no way of easily providing that info for a photo of hundreds (or thousands) of photos without going through them one by one.

SOLUTION?
I would be happy with a text list OR a contact sheet with filename and dimensions. File size would be nice too. THERE SEEMS TO BE NO WAY TO CREATE THIS!

I have Photoshop CS5 and Bridge... they can only create contact sheets with a filename, nothing more.

Thanks!

This is an everday thing  here:   I make a contact sheet,  with the data under the photo..    When I need a print I call the image up from the disk,  and enter the size and print it..  I am set up to print JPG  and TIFF,   But I can hand load for other formats if needed...

Jan 17 13 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

OK, I just checked my version of ThumbsPlus, you can show dimensions, you can even export all of the image info from a folder, tree, drive, etc to other db management software (like excel). You can print contact sheets with whatever info you want under each thumb... its actually a very useful program.

Jan 17 13 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

No... I never want to upsize an image, that just creates bad quality and ruins reputations.

I shoot a lot of red carpet and surfing photos, so in both cases I'm using 400mm zoom and often crop rather severely to get nice close-ups.  I can't provide an image like that to a client who wants to print it as a full page 300dpi.  I want to be honest and provide the client with the ORIGINAL resolution (which is the max it can be used).

It is possible to resize and retain most of the quality using Perfect Resize, it just depends on how big you want to go and what is left of your original after crop.

Jan 17 13 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

Harold Rose wrote:
This is an everday thing  here:   I make a contact sheet,  with the data under the photo..    When I need a print I call the image up from the disk,  and enter the size and print it..  I am set up to print JPG  and TIFF,   But I can hand load for other formats if needed...

But how do you create a contact sheet with hundreds of photos with the filename and height/width pixels?  It sounds like you do it one at a time.

My current need is for a large national magazine interested in a "set" of photos from an event, but the designer wants to propose a layout to the boss.  That means she needs to know (as she's browsing through the pic) which ones can be full page, which ones can be 4"x6", which are limited to 7"x3", etc.  That's what I'm looking for.

Jan 17 13 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

UltimateAppeal wrote:
OK, I just checked my version of ThumbsPlus, you can show dimensions, you can even export all of the image info from a folder, tree, drive, etc to other db management software (like excel). You can print contact sheets with whatever info you want under each thumb... its actually a very useful program.

I have a registered version of ThumbsPlus 7, and it does EXACTLY what I want, but the program crashes after processing about 30 photos while creating the contact sheet with OLE database errors.  I'll see if I can get that resolved.  Kinda sad I have Adobe Master Suite but have to resort to a small program like that to perform a common function like this smile

Jan 17 13 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

martyx

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

XnView offers a feature to create a file listing with user selected fields as well as EXIF.

Download free version XNview from site.
Launch app and select relevant image folder.
Select Edit - select all.
Select Create - file listing.
Choose options required e.g., text / csv.

I either output format sort or find to eliminate unwated files.

Jan 17 13 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

But how do you create a contact sheet with hundreds of photos with the filename and height/width pixels?  It sounds like you do it one at a time.

My current need is for a large national magazine interested in a "set" of photos from an event, but the designer wants to propose a layout to the boss.  That means she needs to know (as she's browsing through the pic) which ones can be full page, which ones can be 4"x6", which are limited to 7"x3", etc.  That's what I'm looking for.

You can include any info you want on a Contact Sheet in the Automated section of Photoshop as well. You decide what metadata info is listed...just like you would having the title/filename included. It's just a matter of checking the boxes you want to show up.

I'm not on my PC right now but maybe someone else has provided the steps. If not, I'll check back.

But, no, you never have to do it one image at a time.

Jan 17 13 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

You can include any info you want on a Contact Sheet in the Automated section of Photoshop as well. You decide what metadata info is listed...just like you would having the title/filename included. It's just a matter of checking the boxes you want to show up.

I'm not on my PC right now but maybe someone else has provided the steps. If not, I'll check back.

But, no, you never have to do it one image at a time.

Maybe you're on CS6?  On Photoshop CS5, under Automated and Contact Sheet II, the only option is to include or exclude the filename.  There are no other options.

Jan 17 13 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Dale at Killer Image

In playing with Bridge, I see that I can rename all files to add the width and height to the filename, which seems to be the best option. So now a client can see the thumbnail's filename to get the original dimensions, or I can use Photoshop's 'contact sheet II' option.

Considering the workflow, it looks like the best way to go is use bridge to rename my RAW files as needed, for example

201202_OscarsRedCarpet_1234.CR2
[year][month]_EventName_[sequence#].ext

Then batch generate my jpg's

Then rename my .jpg's to preserve filename+widthxheight
so the filename becomes:
201202_OscarsRedCarpet_1234_5234x4323.JPG

This seems to be the best solution by far.  I currently can't get ThumbsPlus version 7 or 9 beta to run on my Win 7 system, it keeps stopping with OLE errors.

Jan 17 13 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mask Photo

Fremont, California, US

pick up lightroom. import all your images. sort by capture time and DELETE all the downsized images.

You now have a catalog of the originals. Any time you need something in a smaller size, you export it at that size and send it off, then delete it. This way, you're always working from a pristine original and your exported files are your "prints" that are effectively disposable.

Jan 17 13 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

MC Photo

New York, New York, US

Just to clarify: all images are in the dimensions of the maximum file size the camera can make, except for the ones that are cropped, is that correct?

Are you sending them small images to view and select from and you want to label them so that they know if they're getting a full size image or one that's been cropped?

If you're making a web gallery, I'm pretty sure that lightroom will let you show that in the gallery next to each image.

Jan 18 13 01:18 am Link