Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Newest oldest Mac for Photoshop?

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Im thinking of getting a new mac for me that I can do photoshop faster then my Macbook Pro I thinking of getting a tower. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I can edit good on my machine but only have 2 Ram I want a lot more! What can I get away with? Price and Usability being in balance! I don't need brand new 2013
Any Ideas? Im thinking I want at least 16 Ram

Jan 24 13 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Rudy Joggerst

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think the most cost effective way would be a mac mini with 16 gb of ram which will cost you $899. I have a MBP and iMac, each with 4gb of memory and it's just not enough, especially with numerous applications running at the same time.

Jan 24 13 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Rudy Joggerst wrote:
I think the most cost effective way would be a mac mini with 16 gb of ram which will cost you $899. I have a MBP and iMac, each with 4gb of memory and it's just not enough, especially with numerous applications running at the same time.

I'm considering building a dedicated video editing station and strongly considering this very configuration.

Jan 24 13 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Rudy Joggerst wrote:

Thanks I never new about the mini I have a monitor already so thats a great choice!
I was more on lines thinking of a used Mac figured there more then powerful enough to do what I need. Sometimes they come with software as well which is a + But I don't want to get one to old or not up to spec. The thing is I don't know whats the least amount I can get away with.

Jan 24 13 10:59 am Link

Retoucher

MP_DigitalStudio1

San Francisco, California, US

I thought about the tower as well but choose to run a mac mini i5. Config - 8gb ram, a 256gb SSD, push 2 viewsonic 27" monitors and use an intuos4 tablet. Works well and have no issues.

Hope that helps..... Cheers!

Jan 24 13 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

MP_DigitalStudio1 wrote:
I thought about the tower as well but choose to run a mac mini i5. Config - 8gb ram, a 256gb SSD, push 2 viewsonic 27" monitors and use an intuos4 tablet. Works well and have no issues.

Hope that helps..... Cheers!

Thanks! yes it does and the size of the mini is silly! I feel like I can just shove it in my pocket!

Jan 24 13 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

What do you guys think of this? $1250
2008 I can go up to 32RAM!!! smile
MAC PRO TOWER 8 CORE 2.8GHZ 6 GB RAM 1TB
Comes with a bunch of software like;

VIDEO SOFTWARE / POST PRODUCTION / GRAPHICS
------------------------------------------------------------------
-ADOBE CS6 MASTER EDITION (ADOBE PHOTOSHOP, ADOBE DREAMWEAVER, ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR, ETC)-AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 6
-FINAL CUT PRO X V10.0.6 (WITH THE LATEST COMPRESSOR )
-FINAL CUT STUDIO 3, Which includes FINAL CUT 7 for video and film editing
-MOTION 4 FOR MOTION GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION
-SOUNDTRACK PRO 3 FOR AUDIO POST-PRODUCTION
-COLOR 1.5 FOR COLOR GRADING AND FINISHING,
-COMPRESSOR 4 AND DVD STUDIO PRO 4 FOR DIGITAL DELIVERY VIRTUALLY ANYWHERE
-AUTODESK AUTOCAD 2013
-AUTODESK MAYA 2013
-MAXON CINEMA 4D STUDIO

OTHER SOFTWARE
------------------------------------------------------------------
-ROXIO TOAST 11
-ILIFE 11
-VISUALHUB
-APERTURE 3
-MICROSOFT OFFICE 2011
-WINDOWS VISTA, WINDOWS 7 AND WINDOWS 8 INSTALLED WITH VMWARE FUSION 5
Plus a ton of music software but I don't do music so pointless for me anyhow

Jan 24 13 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Adam-Doyle

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Sorry to hijack this, but I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini and adding in 16gb ram, etc. But, I'm wondering if the integrated video is enough? Especially since Photoshop and other programs are starting to depend on the graphics card more, etc.

Thoughts?

Jan 27 13 08:02 pm Link

Digital Artist

ShuttingDown

Crystal Lake, Illinois, US

As with anything tools-related, it's all about your budget.  But when considering said budget, also estimate your time it takes you on average to perform your work.

Beyond dabbling in graphics on the side, I also process a decent amount of HD video, write software, etc.  Time to crunch through video, render 3D scenes and apply Photoshop filters was key to my budget.  Time equals money so if you can get through your work quicker, you'll be more profitable.

The trick is to invest in tools that will end up paying you nice dividends.

For what I do, I use a 3 GHz 12-core Mac Pro, 24 GB RAM and Radeon HD 5870 GPU.  Any software optimized to offload to the GPU (e.g. OpenCL-savvy software) will give you a serious boost.  The GPU I have has 20 OpenCL compute units, so for OpenCL-savvy software, this machine is effectively 32-core.

Jan 29 13 04:26 pm Link

Retoucher

RonaldPhotoRetouching

New York, New York, US

Just build a PC....

You can get everything and a little more of what RickyArt mentioned for the price of the mini someone mentioned above (around $850). Use an AMD processor; I use a AMD 8150, amazing bit of processing.

If you prefer the "build quality" of the Intels, I have a BioStar MOBO new in box that I'll sell you and 16gigs of RAM to get you started.

-RS

Jan 31 13 04:47 pm Link

Model

emily k

I know price is a concern for you, but I would check out a Retina Display MBP 15".  The resolution on the screen is unreal.  The only other time your photos will ever look as unbelievably sharp is if you look at the film under a loop.  You'll see details that you literally did not even know where there.  Of course it is configurable to 16GB.  It is an investment.
Oh and whatever you end up getting, be sure to get AppleCare.  It'll save your ass.

Feb 03 13 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

why not an imac? i love mine

Feb 10 13 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Adam-Doyle wrote:
Sorry to hijack this, but I was thinking about getting a Mac Mini and adding in 16gb ram, etc. But, I'm wondering if the integrated video is enough? Especially since Photoshop and other programs are starting to depend on the graphics card more, etc.

Thoughts?

Thats funny! Does saying "Sorry" mean its ok to do something wrong anyways? I m going to go around saying sorry to everything so I can be aloud to get away with it! lol JK I have the computer now so steal way! ;o)

Feb 13 13 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Yani S

Thanks everyone I bought one with 12 GBs and an updated graphic card for that price and $50000 of legal software from a recording studio. using it now and it flys! Its great to have the client next to me and I can nock out the edit and send them on their way instead of making them come back again.
Thanks again everyone!!!

Feb 13 13 08:55 am Link