Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What do you do when you get discouraged?

Model

Erin Holmes

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Specifically, about modeling or photography?

I was so excited about moving to the Seattle area only to be incredibly disappointed. That being said I am very much a silver lining optimistic kind of person...so for me to get this down is unusual. Anywhere else I've modeled (other states, countries) I've had (what I consider) a lot of success. Here it's difficult to come across talented photographers whose work I resonate with, let alone one who wants to collaborate with me.

I'm considering giving up my efforts while I'm in this state (another year and a half).

Jan 26 13 08:09 pm Link

Model

angel emily

Boston, Massachusetts, US

How long have you been there, and what have you done to network in the area?

Jan 26 13 08:11 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Since April of last year. I've messaged a ton of people on here and other sites. Facebook, twitter, DA, flickr, etc.

Jan 26 13 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I can't believe you'd have trouble finding someone to work with.
Maybe they're not up to your caliber?

I'm having a bad time right now.  Even models I've met are not answering my messages.  I'm extremely po'd but I ride it out.  I might go punch a kitten later.

Jan 26 13 08:51 pm Link

Model

E e v a

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I feel that way with Nashville sometimes, that the market is smaller then detroits and I struggle to get confirmed jobs. But I am finding a new idea. Come March/April, I'm going to branch into art nudes, because a lot of photographers around here do that stuff. Getting more offers, and trying something new helps.

I wouldn't give up. Even if its shooting once in a while, its still fun, and you still will get gorgeous shots from it.

Jan 26 13 08:58 pm Link

Model

Kristen Quier

Palm Coast, Florida, US

When i get discouraged I like to look back and see how far i have come. and then i look for baby steps i could take to get to my goal. like instead of looking at the whole situation look at the small part. for example if you are having issues finding work then instead of focusing on finding work; focus on working on making yourself better at what you do. Like if you are a model taking a couple of classes in cosmetology. If you are a photographer then you could take a couple classes in digital editing or hair/makeup. This makes it easier to find work because you bring more to the table. big_smile i hope maybe this helped u out a little big_smile

but if you know all else fails....you may want to think about getting a snack...maybe some chocolate big_smile chocolate always helps a little big_smile  here is some inspiration for you big_smile
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/26YU2q/:1 … key-fight/

Jan 26 13 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

you can't find photographers who will pay you? or you can't find photographers to do trade with?

maybe you'd be better off in oregon. everyone here (including the models) is a photographer! maybe more glamour than fashion here in salem (kind of stripperpalooza around here) but there are fashion/commercial guys in portland. and guys like julian wilde (sort of glamshion). and some amazing landscape shooters who like to put models in their shots (art nudes on driftwood sort of thing).

or head north to canada. can you just go for a visit like you used to be able to back in my day? seems like a lot of activity in canada.

i have heard from traveling models that seattle isn't usually as good for them as portland.

when i get discouraged i try to switch gears, avoid or get rid of toxic people/clients. take some mental health days. or just distract myself learning/trying something new. and i have a few models i shoot on a regular basis and i schedule a shoot with them (doesn't really matter what we shoot it's just something positive).

i guess the thing about models is that the sweet spot of your career may only last so long. so potentially having to sit it out for 18 months sounds like a bummer.

maybe you should become a photographer. do self-shot and also get some models. organize the kind of shoots where you'd want to be the model. "the world is what we make of it" type of mentality. i'd love to get more involved in fashion but i don't have money to pay a team and it can be hard to get people signed on for trade.

Jan 26 13 09:02 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I saw that you're also a photographer.

Why not do some shoots as a photographer? That way you still get your creative outlet.

I looked at your port and I honestly don't see why someone wouldn't want to work with you.

When I get discouraged I tend to wait it out. I stay away from MM until I feel better again. Sometimes it takes a couple days, sometimes longer. I'm not really sure what I do to make myself feel better - I just eventually do.

Jan 26 13 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Solas

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I sleep, a lot. Then when I wake up..do something completely different, for a time, maybe a different job. Go travel somewhere. Go back to school and do something. Meet people. Get in the face of the right people, go where they go. Talk the way they do. Eventually you find opportunity.. and when you find that vein running low you just do it all over again and tap in to find a new vein..work somewhere where the potential prospects are going. It's hard when you work for yourself in a new city and network when you know next to nobody there.

For you, try workshops as a photographer. I haven't tried it personally..but been thinking about the idea of hiring someone else to, haha. I'm in that spot now, too damn burnt out/overtaxed right now to pick up a camera, sadly...2 years of doing more than what most may manage to do in 20 will do that to you..so i need to rest and take my own advice wink

Jan 26 13 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Berghammer

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, I for one would love to work with you again. And I would like to (for what it's worth) give my full endorsement to all other photographers in the region. You were easy to work with, professional, intuitive, and above all else... Photograph beautifully.

I think a good deal of the best photographers in this region are extraordinarily talented hobbyists, I'm guessing all of the stars have to align in order to work with many of  them (proper project, work schedule, enough money to shoot, so on and so forth). That being said, I wouldn't give up just yet, it's a new year and no longer a political season, I'm sure if you send a couple of flattering remarks (remember we are a notoriously egotistical breed) you should be able to fill up your dance card.

What do I do when I get discouraged? Usually step back and figure out a way I can redouble my efforts in a non-redundant fashion.

... And play video games, but that's just me.

Jan 26 13 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I drink

Jan 26 13 10:02 pm Link

Model

Evie Wolfe

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

When I am discouraged, I send out messages to the most impossibly out of my league artists. The guys that shoot stuff so far out of my style and at such a high level that it makes me cringe to think of them ever actually reading what I have written, and then I try and forget about it. Usually if I am feeling discouraged it is because I have gone as far as I can go in a particular area for that time and I need to shake things up! So I do, and most of the time I get ignored or politely refused, but if I am already feeling low I don't have anything to lose.

Oh, and sometimes they say yes - sudden onset insanity seems to be more common than you would expect among the MM elite!

In all seriousness, you have an amazing look and I can't see why anyone would not want to work with you, so maybe chalk it up to the natural lull that happens every so often in anyone's artistic career and pick yourself up, because this kind of thinking erodes you over time, and you deserve better than that from yourself smile

Jan 26 13 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

tenrocK photo

New York, New York, US

When things don't go my way for a while I assume there is something I'm not doing right, so I change my approach.
Could be what i shoot, how I shoot, the marketing, whatever. In all cases, I still present myself in a positive way and stay far away from the drama.

Jan 27 13 12:19 am Link

Model

Sha-Lynne

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I got like that here since there aren't nearly as many photographers here as in other cities I've been.  Right now, I'm focusing on other things and just modeling when the mood strikes.  It definitely helps being married to a great photographer  tongue

Jan 27 13 03:30 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

I quit

Jan 27 13 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

You pretty.

Let me speak generically:

1)  The cure for being disappointment is being thoughtful & busy.  Sitting home & complaining just digs the hole deeper.

2)  Hanging out a shingle does not guarantee customers.  You have to go out there & drum up business.

3)  This is a good opportunity to try new things.  What about acting in community theaters?  This is a good time to take that adult education class in business.  Try that dance or yoga class.  Just get out there.

4)  A modeling (or photography) business is 10% modeling & 90% business.  Get yourself your own web site.  Create business & comp cards.  Use the "browse" feature & find promising local photographers.  Introduce yourself; take them out for coffee & leave a couple business/comp cards with them.  Meet other people in the industry (MUAs, stylists, etc.).

5)  Become an asset to your local photographic community.

Keep busy.  That's my strategy.

Jan 27 13 09:05 am Link

Photographer

scrymettet

Quebec, Quebec, Canada

SPRINGHEEL  wrote:
I quit

that

Jan 27 13 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

MMR Creative Services

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

Jan 27 13 05:28 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Samantha Emme wrote:
I feel that way with Nashville sometimes, that the market is smaller then detroits and I struggle to get confirmed jobs. But I am finding a new idea. Come March/April, I'm going to branch into art nudes, because a lot of photographers around here do that stuff. Getting more offers, and trying something new helps.

I wouldn't give up. Even if its shooting once in a while, its still fun, and you still will get gorgeous shots from it.

I no longer do any shoots for pay, I just want to do creative shoots for publication and artistic merit. I thought that would leave me more open for all these people who used to bombard me for tf, but not so much. I'm even doing art nudes for tf if it's the right photographer and concept.

Jan 27 13 05:37 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

twoharts wrote:
you can't find photographers who will pay you? or you can't find photographers to do trade with?

maybe you'd be better off in oregon. everyone here (including the models) is a photographer! maybe more glamour than fashion here in salem (kind of stripperpalooza around here) but there are fashion/commercial guys in portland. and guys like julian wilde (sort of glamshion). and some amazing landscape shooters who like to put models in their shots (art nudes on driftwood sort of thing).

or head north to canada. can you just go for a visit like you used to be able to back in my day? seems like a lot of activity in canada.

i have heard from traveling models that seattle isn't usually as good for them as portland.

when i get discouraged i try to switch gears, avoid or get rid of toxic people/clients. take some mental health days. or just distract myself learning/trying something new. and i have a few models i shoot on a regular basis and i schedule a shoot with them (doesn't really matter what we shoot it's just something positive).

i guess the thing about models is that the sweet spot of your career may only last so long. so potentially having to sit it out for 18 months sounds like a bummer.

maybe you should become a photographer. do self-shot and also get some models. organize the kind of shoots where you'd want to be the model. "the world is what we make of it" type of mentality. i'd love to get more involved in fashion but i don't have money to pay a team and it can be hard to get people signed on for trade.

I am a photographer and I don't do modeling for money at all anymore. I'm a "free" model but can hardly find anyone of quality interested.

Jan 27 13 05:39 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Berghammer wrote:
Well, I for one would love to work with you again. And I would like to (for what it's worth) give my full endorsement to all other photographers in the region. You were easy to work with, professional, intuitive, and above all else... Photograph beautifully.

I think a good deal of the best photographers in this region are extraordinarily talented hobbyists, I'm guessing all of the stars have to align in order to work with many of  them (proper project, work schedule, enough money to shoot, so on and so forth). That being said, I wouldn't give up just yet, it's a new year and no longer a political season, I'm sure if you send a couple of flattering remarks (remember we are a notoriously egotistical breed) you should be able to fill up your dance card.

What do I do when I get discouraged? Usually step back and figure out a way I can redouble my efforts in a non-redundant fashion.

... And play video games, but that's just me.

Aw thanks, I would absolutely love to work with you again too! I think part of why I'm so frustrated is I have a very stressful, physically and mentally demanding full time job that is as far away from modeling as you can get. I come home and fall asleep for hours after work I'm so tired, instead of getting myself inspired.

Jan 27 13 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Llobet Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Erin Holmes wrote:

I am a photographer and I don't do modeling for money at all anymore. I'm a "free" model but can hardly find anyone of quality interested.

That's why I wrote above that you can't find photographers up to your caliber.
I guess that's what happens when you get very good.

Jan 27 13 05:49 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

It could be because its winter everything slows down. Keep trying and see if you can't get more responses in spring/summer modeling seems to be the most active when its nice out.

Jan 27 13 07:54 pm Link

Model

Lisa Andresen

Abingdon, Illinois, US

Dp

Jan 27 13 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

As Bob Dylan's song lyrics state, "and finally when the bottom feel out, I became withdrawn.  The only think I knew how to do was Keep on Keeping On!" 

Good Luck!

Jan 27 13 07:59 pm Link

Model

Erin Holmes

Lisa Andresen wrote:
It could be because its winter everything slows down. Keep trying and see if you can't get more responses in spring/summer modeling seems to be the most active when its nice out.

I've been here since last April...

Jan 27 13 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

I guess us Portlanders (Salem too) should get together and help you make a road trip or something.

Jan 27 13 08:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Cynna Stylz MUA

New York, New York, US

This may not be helpful but my mom used to say "If its free then its no good."
For me once I updated my page to include half/full day rates I seemed to have more people contact me. I agree with doing TFP for quality pics, someone above mentioned that photographers in your area maybe feel under par. I feel you, I get ya', I understand.

So to answer the question.....Throw a party. Invite some college boys from the photography class, find all the photographers at the local agencies, create a MEETUP.COM invite and get your creativity on. Prove my mother wrong!

Jan 27 13 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

I just keep shooting .

Jan 28 13 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Eat.

Jan 28 13 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Caveman Creations

Addison, Texas, US

The Winter Wonderland! He he he.
Finding a creative equal is difficult. When I get discouraged, I usually double down, and press even harder. I make 50 contacts to people that I know full and well aren't going to respond to me, if they even read my email. I go around town, talk to business owners, etc. I push back. Then there's this.....

I have taken to doing the genres of photography that I have no interest in. Things like Fashion, Fantasy, some Glamour, genres that I like, have a great respect for, but no interest in shooting for myself. So, I'm going to shoot them for myself! It's a way that I can put my creative side into something and not care any at all how it comes out. If it ends up stellar, great! If not, well I didn't want to do it anyway. Maybe try this with your modeling. Cosplay? Fantasy? You are a photographer as well as a model, try something that is 180 degrees off from what you want. Try to see the beauty in it for yourself, and try to create that same level of beauty. Hell, I've been trying for almost 3 years to get my sister to get me some landscapes from up there! Find me a waterfall! wink

[Edit] I forgot! Chase Jarvis is based in Seattle. I'll bet he could match your creative level. big_smile Hit him up. You never know......
http://www.chasejarvis.com/

Jan 28 13 11:57 pm Link