Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Unruly landlord...what's the best option?

Model

Kaley King

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Lohkee wrote:
Have **you** moved out yet? Have they withheld any part of **your** deposit as of this date?

I moved from one unit into another...I am planning on moving altogether.  They never game me a list from the other unit...but from what I was told I should have got one, or they should have told me they weren't withholding anything.

My unit was one of the old ones with old carpeting...the wood under it started to rot so they had to replace the floors.  They have a knack for charging people for cleaning before they ever clean it...when it comes to units that needed to be redone do to the carpeting and stuff being so old.

Well usually if you have to tear out all of that it'll have to be cleaned anyways.

idc if you think I am being dramatic...I didn't ask anyone for their opinion in that aspect.

Feb 01 13 03:58 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

hassanchop wrote:

Move out as soon as possible. Have the landlord do a walk through with you and they must give you an itemized list of everything that needs to be addressed.

There are civil penalties in most states if a landlord illegally withholds a deposit

I will be done with my degree in May...I'll have more money to gtfoh.  In MO if they wrongfully with hold it you get twice of what they took

Feb 01 13 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

La Lana  wrote:
I moved from one unit into another...I am planning on moving altogether.  They never game me a list from the other unit...but from what I was told I should have got one, or they should have told me they weren't withholding anything.

My unit was one of the old ones with old carpeting...the wood under it started to rot so they had to replace the floors.  They have a knack for charging people for cleaning before they ever clean it...when it comes to units that needed to be redone do to the carpeting and stuff being so old.

Well usually if you have to tear out all of that it'll have to be cleaned anyways.

idc if you think I am being dramatic...I didn't ask anyone for their opinion in that aspect.

You need to get your story straight before we continue.

I'll restate my question: Have they withheld any part of **your** deposit as of this date?

Feb 01 13 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

Lohkee wrote:

And we **love** renters like you! I have always been blessed with great renters and in 30 years have never had to withhold any part of a deposit (touch wood).

I think the relationship is what people make it.

I don't bother with inspections (neighbors will let me know if crazy shit is going on). You can live like a pig for all I care **as long as you return the unit to me in the same condition I rented to you in** as it's really none of my business. 

I also ask my tenants to not attempt repairs themselves and to call me immediately if there is a problem. The main reason for this is that I want the job done right, and a lot of young people are well, kind of lacking in this department.

A relationship can be win/win or loose/loose. It's all what you make it. As a landlord, I prefer the win/win as the alternative is a big waste of time (and can be expensive).

It's like everything else. There are good landlords and bad landlords. My ex does contracting work so one of the places we lived the guy got his whole property fenced ( built from scratch) and everything was painted.

I have not rented since 2000 but I was a long time renter and I never and I mean never had a landlord ask to enter the premises unless I called them and even then most times they sent someone else.

Most landlords that I know are happy if you pay the rent and don't burn the house down. I would never put up with an up the butt landlord.

Feb 01 13 04:15 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

Lohkee wrote:

You need to get your story straight before we continue.

I'll restate my question: Have they withheld any part of **your** deposit as of this date?

My story is straight...that's just what it is...I don't know.

Feb 01 13 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

La Lana  wrote:

My story is straight...that's just what it is...I don't know.

Once again: Have they withheld any part of **your** deposit as of this date?

Feb 01 13 05:15 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

Lohkee wrote:

Once again: Have they withheld any part of **your** deposit as of this date?

I DON'T KNOW THEY NEVER SAID WHETHER OR NOT THEY WERE WITHHOLDING IT FROM THE OTHER UNIT...I HAVE NO OTHER ANSWER FOR YOU.

Feb 01 13 05:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

sweetcheekscouture

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

La Lana  wrote:

I DON'T KNOW THEY NEVER SAID WHETHER OR NOT THEY WERE WITHHOLDING IT FROM THE OTHER UNIT...I HAVE NO OTHER ANSWER FOR YOU.

Did your deposit from the other apartment carry over to your new apartment?

Feb 01 13 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

La Lana  wrote:

And that was my point back at square one. You seem to be freaking out over something that has (AFAYK) not even happened.

FWIW, I would imagine that they just transferred your file and deposit when they moved you to a new unit. That would be very typical.

Feb 01 13 05:33 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

sweetcheekscouture wrote:

Did your deposit from the other apartment carry over to your new apartment?

They never told me...they said they would send me a notice stating whether or not it did...they never did.

Feb 01 13 05:37 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

Lohkee wrote:

And that was my point back at square one. You seem to be freaking out over something that has (AFAYK) not even happened.

FWIW, I would imagine that they just transferred your file and deposit when they moved you to a new unit. That would be very typical.

Them sending me threatening notices has happened...them keeping money and not using for what it was meant for it to be used for has happened. 

Just because I am asking questions that does not mean I am freaking out...if they took my money...spent it, and now am showing me as being in debt to the apt...then yes that happened.  You weren't the one who was here and spoke to them to know...did you have anything helpful you wanted to add to the thread, or were you only here to question me, and tell me how I should feel?

Feb 01 13 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Lohkee

Maricopa, Arizona, US

La Lana  wrote:

Them sending me threatening notices has happened...them keeping money and not using for what it was meant for it to be used for has happened. 

Just because I am asking questions that does not mean I am freaking out...if they took my money...spent it, and now am showing me as being in debt to the apt...then yes that happened.  You weren't the one who was here and spoke to them to know...did you have anything helpful you wanted to add to the thread, or were you only here to question me, and tell me how I should feel?

You have had more than  one experienced landlord (without a dog in this fight) try to help you. You don't want help. You want people to see things the way you want them to see them, i.e., your way. Frankly, your story is all over the board and I've had a really hard time buying it, but I chose to give you the benefit of the doubt. Good luck in small claims. You are really going to need it.

I'm done.

Feb 01 13 05:51 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

Lohkee wrote:
You have had more than  one experienced landlord (without a dog in this fight) try to help you. You don't want help. You want people to see things the way you want them to see them, i.e., your way. Frankly, your story is all over the board and I've had a really hard time buying it, but I chose to give you the benefit of the doubt. Good luck in small claims. You are really going to need it.

I'm done.

What did you say that was helpful?

What did the other landlord say that was helpful?  Where did either of you answer any of my questions?  All you said was that small holes in a wall are not wear and tear...well under our law it is.

Feb 01 13 06:01 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

None of my story was all over the place...you didn't really bother to read most of it, and it's hard to gives alllll details in an OP of over four years without taking up two pages.

Where at all was my story all over the place?

Feb 01 13 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

EdwardKristopher

Tempe, Arizona, US

La Lana  wrote:

What did you say that was helpful?

What did the other landlord say that was helpful?  Where did either of you answer any of my questions?  All you said was that small holes in a wall are not wear and tear...well under our law it is.

You are just TOO funny for reality!

Feb 01 13 09:18 pm Link

Model

Kaley King

EdwardKristopher wrote:

You are just TOO funny for reality!

But not near as funny as you...really...

Feb 01 13 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

La Lana  wrote:

This is where the confusion is coming in at. You're speculating that she will more than likely hold your money hostage. That's possible, but until she confirmed it, you don;t know what actions will take place. I can understand your conclusions though, based on her militant actions. I think that most would come to this conclusion too. The best thing to do is know your State and city land lord tenant rights and go from there.

Again, here in California, the laws are clear and posted on the State's government website.

Feb 02 13 12:32 am Link