Forums > Photography Talk > the cost of digital, lets get this straight.....

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

Hello everyone,

Experience aside, I think that anyone who approaches photography as a business and or art can agree digital is not as cheep as many often think. I have seen a lot of posts which have briefly mentioned the cost of digital but I wanted to start a thread specifically about this topic.

Like many of photos on mm, I started with film and by no means was it cheep. much like film, digital puts a hole in your pocket. the difference is the money spent on digital is spent in bulk. what it cost me to get a professional working system was about 6,000 (- insurance) and by no means is it all pro rated gear. keep in mind, I am not talking about any lighting equipment, studio space, and marketing which can all add up, I’m just talking about the price of digital. think about the computers, programs, hard drives, and lets not forget about the camera and gear! to stay in business you have to keep competitive and offer the newest technology (or at least something that not every idiot can do/afford) weather you are a great shooter or not..

So as you do a digital shoot you are spending money for each image. something to keep in mind...

comments??

Aug 20 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Julia Gerace

Monroe, Connecticut, US

not to mention time spent in post processing that in film days were  spent at the lab...  we spend much more time with the images...that should count for something...

Julia

Aug 20 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Don Brodie wrote:
So as you do a digital shoot you are spending money for each image. something to keep in mind...

comments??

I can only speak from a professional persective.  I don't buy cameras for play.  When I was shooting film on assignment, I was either getting a lump sum for the job and film and processing expenses were included or I was billing per roll for film and processing.  Either way I was paying the store and lab per roll. 

Currently I am nearly 100% digital.  I still either get a lump sum for the job or I bill for digital capture, conversion, and delivery.  The difference is that instead of paying for both my camera and my film and processing, I am paying for my camera and computer.  Of course it does take more time and effort to deliver the job digitally and I am as an individual more responsible for the final product.

My first digital camera paid for itself in its first year.  This year I bought a new high-res digital system that was 4x the price of my first camera (which I still have but rarely use) and it is on track to pay for itself in 2 years.  That is roughly double the payback rate of the first camera.  With film I was only able to bill for the film and processing, not the camera.  There was substantial mark-up that was passed along to the clients when I could bill fee + expenses, but it only about kept pace with my camera purchases (+/-).

Looking at it that way, digital has the ability to be very cheap, even a profit center in a way that film was less able to do.  I understand the point of your argument, but there are more than one way of looking at the cost.  Good topic though.

Dan

Aug 20 05 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

Saugus, Massachusetts, US

Yup - it's kind of an equipment treadmill now.  It used to be you spent a bunch of money on a blad and a few lenses and you could use that forever.  The only expenses after that were film and polaroid.

Now, as you said, you have to keep up with the technology - bigger, better camera sensors, a new version of Photoshop every 12 days, another computer every 3 or 4 years.

That's why - if you're working for a paying client - you should be charging a 'digital capture fee'.  As a guideline, you should charge what you would have paid in film, polaroid and scans for that job.  At first an uneducated client will think you're trying to scam them, but it's far from it.  You're just trying to systematically recoup some of your 'digital overhead' - the money it's costing you to produce images more efficiently FOR THEM.

If you don't charge for this, then moving to digital is actually costing you money.  For example, if you had stayed with film, you'd still be charging for (and marking up) film and polaroid.  Now that you're digital,  you've lost the film markup and you're spending more money on the digital thing.  It doesn't make financial sense.

Aug 20 05 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

Juila makes a great point. When you send film to the lab you get a bill - and that is easy to mark up and charge to the client.

With digital the tendency is to do it all in house 'just take a few moments to finish those images' and suddenly you've become myopic and have a severe case of RSI :-P Which is not so easy to charge for.

Having said that, if you are a crap GWC it doesn't make the slightest difference how much you have spent on kit, or how much time you spend infront of a screen, you are still a crap GWC - and you don't get any sympathy for choosing an expensve hobby.

Aug 20 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

everyone has had some good points to say... one of the most valued comments was from Dan Howell about how there is much more work expected from the photographer. Photoshop and I have a love hate relationship smile....

my camera was bought at the beginning of this year (it was a 2nd hand model, something I recommend to beginners, not a bad investment at all...). It has already paid for its self!

I will be upgrading to the current technology by years end only to have it become outdated in 6 months... yippee!!

Aug 20 05 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

Like I've said before...we've come almost full circle. I started out with film. Spent a day shooting and the night in the darkroom. Then progressed to shooting and sending the film to my lab (yipee, time to myself)! Now, basically, back to hell...SAS...Shoot the day, And, Shop the night. I've broken my time down to an hourly rate just to get a handle on profit vs. loss, and I got to tell you, there really isn't that big a disparity in cost factors with all things considered!

Aug 20 05 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I think one thing that's being missed here is that there are still labs at which you can drop off (or to which you can upload) your digital files, and they will do the post work for you--your time can be your own again!  Whether it's with film or digital, you will have to pay for post work in either time or money.  I'd rather pay in time, and charge that time to the client.

Aug 20 05 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

[ b ] e c k e r

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

when i switched from film to digital back in 2001, i spend $20K on two D1x, cf cards, a fresh fast Mac, and other neccessary accersories. my lab bill. in 2002 (all digital), my lab bill was $60K less than it was in 2000 and i shot more events and more models it was like getting a $40K raise that year. of course i deserved that raise will all the extra time i had put in front of the computer.

fast forward to 2005... i still spend about $10K per year upgrading camera's and such, and now with faster computers and a more efficient workflow... i spend a lot less time working on my files and can enjoy all the money i save.

[ b ] e c k e r
www.beckersblog.com
www.beckerswebsite.com
www.thebecker.com/flesh

Aug 21 05 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I think one thing that's being missed here is that there are still labs at which you can drop off (or to which you can upload) your digital files, and they will do the post work for you--your time can be your own again!  Whether it's with film or digital, you will have to pay for post work in either time or money.  I'd rather pay in time, and charge that time to the client.

A lot of creative control and more importantly, privacy, is lost when "outsourcing" post-processing work. Hiring an outsider to do all that IMHO is not that different from having them take the pictures for you.

If you do any nude or semi-nude work, do you fully trust those who have access to it?

Post-processing, which I like to call the "second shoot" is an important and personal part of the creative process.

Aug 21 05 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

I love the fact that I can keep all the work under my nose until it get's sent to the client.  I charge a post production fee on every job that is comparable or less than what they used to pay for film, processing and scanning- everyone's happy.

I know other photographers who do it as a capture fee, somewhere around $1-2 per usable image-

Aug 21 05 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I see the pros talking about all the extra time they spend in post proccessing the image with digital and it begs the question why?

It seems to me that if you captured the image correctly in the first place you would not need extra time to correct.

Am I missing something? Please explain why the extra time. Is it to be able to bump the price to the customer?

Aug 21 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

piers

London, Arkansas, US

troll?

Aug 21 05 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
I see the pros talking about all the extra time they spend in post proccessing the image with digital and it begs the question why?

It seems to me that if you captured the image correctly in the first place you would not need extra time to correct.

Am I missing something? Please explain why the extra time. Is it to be able to bump the price to the customer?

it takes several hours to convert hundreds raw files to tiff and then burn the DVDs.  Raw files ALWAYS have to be opened up and proofed even if you nailed every shot dead on.

Aug 21 05 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

rp_photo wrote:
A lot of creative control and more importantly, privacy, is lost when "outsourcing" post-processing work. Hiring an outsider to do all that IMHO is not that different from having them take the pictures for you.

If you do any nude or semi-nude work, do you fully trust those who have access to it?

Post-processing, which I like to call the "second shoot" is an important and personal part of the creative process.

well as work picks up, post processing is much more a waste of your time... I suggest finding someone to hire for your post process to work with on the regular. I still do a lot of my post stuff however the turn around is much slower and I lose a lot of sleep.... I would like to one day get someone to do it for me that I can trust to make the best out of my images.

Aug 21 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

Well, you basic premise is flawed unfortunately. That being your assumption that post is about correcting flaws. It isn't. (well maybe for some it is... smile

John

Aug 21 05 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

piers wrote:
troll?

What no answer?

Aug 21 05 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Justin N Lane wrote:

it takes several hours to convert hundreds raw files to tiff and then burn the DVDs.  Raw files ALWAYS have to be opened up and proofed even if you nailed every shot dead on.

That make sense... I did not even think about conversion time.

Aug 21 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

John Allan wrote:

Well, you basic premise is flawed unfortunately. That being your assumption that post is about correcting flaws. It isn't. (well maybe for some it is... smile

John

You see some photographers saying it takes them 8 hours on one image. In my mind if you spend 8 hours fixing an image you need to reshoot.

Assuming that you are not spending a huge amout of time correcting the image. Please explain what you do in post that takes all your time.

Aug 21 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Don, I am not hijacking the thread. Post adds to cost so I want to know why so much post time.

Aug 21 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
Am I missing something?

In a word, yes.

I believe what you are referring to is RAW workflow.  The images don't just jump on to the cd/dvds themselves now do they.  It has little to do with 'capturing the image correctly.'  What is correct?  If you determain what IS correct, is that correct going to be correct in every situation?  With RAW you have an opportunity to process the image in a number of ways or apply different curves or profiles. 

It has more to do with color than it does exposure.  If you never have to match color either from an existing object or another image, you might not ever worry about this, but unfortunately I have seen a lot of greenish faces in portfolios of photographers who brag about shooting only Fine JPGs.  Careful attention to color is never a bad thing.  The instant that you need to match the color of a dress to the ACTUAL dress you will need to worry about color and RAW image processing.

Even if a particular set of images has a uniform color and process curve applied to it in a batch, it still takes a couple minutes and lots of HD space to process into .TIFs.  While a photographer doesn't have to supervise each image file conversion, it does take oversight. 

I have some clients who want the .TIFs and others who also want the RAW incase something different comes up in the production process.  Some only want the selects, some want the entire shoot.  It takes time to prepare the files for delivery what ever the exact needs of the client are.  Professionals bill for that time--sometimes they complain about it too.

Aug 21 05 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

You see some photographers saying it takes them 8 hours on one image. In my mind if you spend 8 hours fixing an image you need to reshoot.

Assuming that you are not spending a huge amout of time correcting the image. Please explain what you do in post that takes all your time.

I can't. I have no idea who would need/desire 8 hours of post for an image.

Aug 21 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Dan Howell wrote:

In a word, yes.

I believe what you are referring to is RAW workflow.  The images don't just jump on to the cd/dvds themselves now do they.  It has little to do with 'capturing the image correctly.'  What is correct?  If you determain what IS correct, is that correct going to be correct in every situation?  With RAW you have an opportunity to process the image in a number of ways or apply different curves or profiles. 

It has more to do with color than it does exposure.  If you never have to match color either from an existing object or another image, you might not ever worry about this, but unfortunately I have seen a lot of greenish faces in portfolios of photographers who brag about shooting only Fine JPGs.  Careful attention to color is never a bad thing.  The instant that you need to match the color of a dress to the ACTUAL dress you will need to worry about color and RAW image processing.

Even if a particular set of images has a uniform color and process curve applied to it in a batch, it still takes a couple minutes and lots of HD space to process into .TIFs.  While a photographer doesn't have to supervise each image file conversion, it does take oversight. 

I have some clients who want the .TIFs and others who also want the RAW incase something different comes up in the production process.  Some only want the selects, some want the entire shoot.  It takes time to prepare the files for delivery what ever the exact needs of the client are.  Professionals bill for that time--sometimes they complain about it too.

I shoot mostly .jpg because I mainly post to the net or print for myself. I get very accurate color from my Fuji. I can not see shooting RAW in my situation because of the time factor and the .jpg gives me the same result in the end.

If conversion is taking the lion's share of the time, I can see why there is the extra time post.

Aug 21 05 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

John Allan wrote:

I can't. I have no idea who would need/desire 8 hours of post for an image.

Me either.. I get bent if it takes me more than 10 minutes to fix an image...  and I am working with CorelDraw7 PhotoPaint and a very slow computer.

Aug 21 05 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
Don, I am not hijacking the thread. Post adds to cost so I want to know why so much post time.

some folks want effects no matter how you feel. if the client wants a certain look, you got to supply.

don’t just associate post processing with digital, there is a lot you can not do in one shot. in the past there were folks who did the same thing with like 9 different enlarges to get one print. used graphite (or some other similar product) on negatives, not to mention dodging and burning.

its not right for everyone but there are some that do this. everyone has there niche, besides shooting I play around with Photoshop. I charge for my time using it....

Aug 21 05 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

I also shoot a lot= alot to work on.... all of my photos are full framed, not cropped. in ps at minimum i clean up blemishes... that can take alot of time...

Aug 21 05 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Don Brodie wrote:
I also shoot a lot= alot to work on.... all of my photos are full framed, not cropped. in ps at minimum i clean up blemishes... that can take alot of time...

I am more of a "real" shooter, as in you see what was really there. You see what I saw when I captured the shot.

I am not sure I would consider adding effects as "fixing" an image unless you added the effects because you flubbed the image. Like adding a blur because you missed on the DOF.

Aug 21 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

well this conversation aside, there is always someone who likes to voice the "natural" opinion. look in my images, the shot titled "classics" is an untouched images shot on 35mm and printed on fiber. it was scanned in to a computer for web use. I am more of a "photographer who knows what is appropriate for different assignments". not only do you see what I saw, you see what I feel. give me your e-mail and I will send you a un edited image and a edited image. you tell me what is "fixed" and what was the "added effect".

Aug 21 05 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Don Brodie wrote:
well this conversation aside, there is always someone who likes to voice the "natural" opinion. look in my images, the shot titled "classics" is an untouched images shot on 35mm and printed on fiber. it was scanned in to a computer for web use. I am more of a "photographer who knows what is appropriate for different assignments". not only do you see what I saw, you see what I feel. give me your e-mail and I will send you a un edited image and a edited image. you tell me what is "fixed" and what was the "added effect".

I didn't want to say "natural" because a photograph is anything but. I can change the exposure, focus, etc and change what is captured.
https://truelocal.net/~trollkiller/temp/snow.jpg
This photo was taken in the dead of summer in Florida. This has no effects or anything else added in post.
"real" may not be the best word either.

Send your examples to [email protected]  I will look at them at work tomorrow. (dial up at home SUCKS) Just make sure what you send is workplace appropiate.. I already got in trouble because MM is a porn site.

Aug 21 05 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

Don Brodie

New York, New York, US

i am a clean photographer.... i got dial up as well. well i will submit to your test if you insist.. but this conversation ends here. and yea, i never used any filter to correct DOF smile...

Aug 21 05 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Don Brodie wrote:
i am a clean photographer.... i got dial up as well. well i will submit to your test if you insist.. but this conversation ends here. and yea, i never used any filter to correct DOF smile...

I think you misread something... or I did. I thought you wanted to show me how much you can improve a good photograph in post.

Aug 21 05 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

joe duerr

Santa Ana, California, US

The cost for equipment is the cost for equipment. It makes no difference film vs digital. The difference comes with everything else required to produce the finished product. Five hundred images on film if you don't do your own processing is one hell of an expense compared to the expense of digital. You have to pay for all the good and the bad with film. Now I know none of the photographers on this site are shooting any bad images but in the real world I have found that any photographer that says "He doesn't shoot bad images", will lie about other things too. I also never factored my computer into my photography business because photography is only a portion of what my computer is used for. I would still have the latest and greatest in computer if I shot all film. There is a commercial on radio that sums up the difference between the cost of film vs digital. It goes,"It's the biggest no brainer in the history of mankind."

Aug 21 05 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Justin N Lane wrote:

The process isn't *quite* that inefficient - if you know how to properly batch.

Aug 21 05 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

William Kious wrote:
The process isn't *quite* that inefficient - if you know how to properly batch.

Next time I have to do a large job, I'll use a stop watch.  Running canon's batch conversion software alone took over an hour to convert everything to 16 bit tiff on a G5 dual.  I spent around 1.5-2 hours checking over every image, tweaking individual settings as needed (they were mixed lighting industrial shots, not studio model work) and saving the settings before hitting batch convert.  After that it took approximately 20+/- minutes to burn each DVD times 7...

there were over 600 images

yes, I'm in the market for a dual layer 16x burner.

Aug 21 05 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Longhitano

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

I'm a Nikon user and now that they finally got on the RAW+JPG band wagon all those hours of batch processing are over.  When I shoot a job that needs large files I will use the RAW+JPG setting.  After the shoot I'll edit and preview the JPG's for client selection and when they choose the files they need I will then go to the raw files for processing and converting.

Aug 21 05 05:30 pm Link