Forums > Photography Talk > " Nudes" a Facet of photography.

Photographer

Amul La La

London, England, United Kingdom

Ooky I found this absolutely hilarious, I messaged a model, about the possibility of a collaboration a few days ago, she has now messaged back, saying,

"Sorry but I don't like any Nude pictures"

I understand that is a subjective statement she's entitled to her opinion, and doesn't have to do anything she doesn't feel comfortable with, but my qualm is with the fact she's evidently labeling my portfolio as "Nude", I'm a little perplexed is/could my port be described as a "Nude port"

Jan 29 13 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Randy C Photography

Brooklyn, New York, US

not at all, and i would think its a nice way of saying she doesnt want to work with you.

i had a friend of a friend who wanted to do a shoot, and we had spoken and planned out a few shots, she finally gets around to looking at more of work and starts flipping out that i have shot nudes, i simple said, "did we discuss anything evolving nudity?"

she says "no but i know how this works you will ask and blah blah...",
deleted me off facebook and went nuts to out mutual friend...

Jan 29 13 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

Ah how annoying hmm.

P.s I messaged her back, funnily enough she actually just messaged me back, saying she does like my photo's but, she also liked my lingerie shots, but wouldn't want to do that, but she asked if there is anything else we could shoot, and if we could come up with anymore idea's, I was thinking, well der, lol smile. P/s it has also occurred to me English may not be her first language, "she also said sorry for being so blunt, and that she should have explained herself better" > non quote

Jan 29 13 06:19 am Link

Photographer

O Team Photography

Duncan, British Columbia, Canada

We don't do any model shots that are not nude or semi-nude.  This is made clear in the first contact. Saves much hassle.

Jan 29 13 06:25 am Link

Photographer

B R U N E S C I

Bath, England, United Kingdom

No, you don't even have a single image that needs to be marked "M" so I definitely wouldn't describe it as a "nude port"!

Just send her some reference images of the style and level you wish to shoot and make it clear that this is all you will expect of her.

A picture paints a thousand words, as they say smile

Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jan 29 13 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Send her a link to MY port so she can learn the difference, haha .... so No, none of your photos need the 18+ tag.

Jan 29 13 07:37 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I get it often enough, usually from new models.  I even got it when I had only a single nude in my port that was halfway down in the images so they had to look for it.   If their first response is "sorry I don't do nudes" when I haven't mentioned any, my first response is to move on.  Ye,s perhaps there is a misunderstanding but life's too short. Plenty of models who don't shoot nudes but manage to say something more intelligent about their concerns (or not).

Besides, when I eventually meet them it is fun to see their embarrassment. I'm sure they all figured out sooner or later that their response was sub optimal.

Jan 29 13 08:57 am Link

Model

- Aina -

Redlands, California, US

Personally, I've never been deterred from a photographer who does nudes. Yes, I know I do nudes, but prior to actually starting out as a model, it still didn't bother me. I had only wondered if I was good enough to do THAT. Long story short, I bit the bullet and did the thing that scared me. Wallah!! I strip for the camera all the time now. smile

Jan 29 13 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
If their first response is "sorry I don't do nudes" when I haven't mentioned any, my first response is to move on.

My thinking as well.

Jan 29 13 09:03 am Link

Photographer

HO Photo

Los Angeles, California, US

I have never shot nudes. I'm not against it, I think they are absolutely beautiful when they're done right, I'm just not there yet with my photography.

That said, even I'm sometimes a bit taken aback, borderline offended on behalf of my nude-shooting brethren, when I browse a model's profile and it says something like "NO NUDES OR ANY OTHER SMUT."

Jeesh. Some people are uptight and judgmental.

Jan 29 13 09:49 am Link

Photographer

David_V

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Haseeb Omar Photo wrote:
I have never shot nudes. I'm not against it, I think they are absolutely beautiful when they're done right, I'm just not there yet with my photography.

That said, even I'm sometimes a bit taken aback, borderline offended on behalf of my nude-shooting brethren, when I browse a model's profile and it says something like "NO NUDES OR ANY OTHER SMUT."

Jeesh. Some people are uptight and judgmental.

Or the ever popular "let's keep it classy". As Rodney once said "give me a call when you have no class"

Jan 29 13 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Amul La La

thank you everyone !

Jan 29 13 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Lewis Photography

Catskill, New York, US

I don't see you're port as being nude at all.

Jan 29 13 11:05 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

As far as I can tell, every model in your port is nude under her clothes.  I don't think it is the nudity.  I think it is because you are from Plymouth, birthplace of the Puritans.  It vexes you even today.

Don't worry about it.  It is her, not you.

Jan 29 13 11:13 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Yes, some models over-react.  And some "photographers" (more likely creeps and some GWCs) make a lot of new models paranoid.

The reality is that if you've got a thin skin, than art is not the place for you.  B/c a good artist get criticized (both self-criticism and from peers).

I shoot mostly art nudes.  So I don't really have a lot of time for models who have drama over this issue nor am I interested in pleading, cajoling, begging, tempting or bribing someone to do something they don't feel comfortable doing.  If the model isn't comfortable being nude and shooting with me, it will show in her poses.  But that said, sometimes I do shoots with models that are non-nude concepts.  In which case, if the model brings up that issue (ie: "I don't pose nude") my response is "I didn't suggest any nudes--so are you still interested in shooting ABC?" and we go from there.  And if she continues to have drama over this issue than I move on.

Ed

Jan 29 13 04:35 pm Link