Forums > Model Colloquy > Age of photographer -- does that matter ?

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Autumn Rose Brightly wrote:
I am a people person and love working with photographers of all ages. For me it comes down to simply creating a great image. When I look at the camera with whatever emotion I'm conveying (be it relaxed, sensual, happy...) I am looking at the camera, not the photographer. For me one of the great things about modeling is when you make it about the lens and not the person behind it you connect on a deeper level with every person who views that image. For example, on this shot

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121018/10/50804247bfca9_m.jpg

I had literally just met the photographer 20mins earlier. I've had a few people comment on how relaxed and trusting on the photographer I was which isn't exactly true. I relax and trust the lens (or I try my best to anyway)

I hope I don't offend any photographers with this as I admire your talent and skill, I'm just explaining it from my POV

I have to say, that is spoken like a true professional! It could not have been spoken or said any better. This is precisely how one should look at feel about a shoot.

Feb 22 13 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Blum Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I love it when they show up and see me for the first time. Not only am I old, but I a big old biker looking dude. (See my photo over on the Faceybook link on my profile)
I have even had a model message me, I think your Facebook link is messed up, its some old biker dude.....LOL, yes that is me.
In all seriousness, I find that models, after working with me, understand that I can bring experience, gained only with age, to a shoot.....

~The old Fat Ugly Biker dude

Feb 22 13 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Apparently it matters to some models.

Several months ago a photographer (considered by many to be one of the best if not *the* best artistic nude photographer on MM), who I believe in his 70's, received an email from an 18-year-old model informing him that he's too old to shoot nudes.

I won't name him, because that might be considered outing - but he did an amusing forum post on the subject.

Feb 23 13 02:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

I wasn't as skilled as an artist when I was much younger.  Because models usually get some artwork to take with them when they pose for me, it's to their advantage to be willing to work with someone with some "seasoning."

i'm pretty astute in gauging reactions on first meeting someone, and I don't think I've ever noticed a "Hey, Pops!" look on anyone's face when a model comes to my studio for the first time.

And although I'm loath to admit it, the occasional naked hug from a model keeps me believing I'm not ready for the pasture just yet.

Feb 23 13 11:29 am Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Here - for models, not at all.

For a retail client,  a 48 years old guy has an uphill battle with preconceived ideas (except established photographers). Age and sex influence strongly jobs you can (not lol) book.

Recent scandal involving an (now dead) ex-photographer does not help.

Feb 23 13 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Rob Walker

Brighton, Colorado, US

Ash Photographic wrote:
If you don't act like a creep then you won't be perceived as one.

I'm in my 50s and haven't had any problems because I treat my models as people and respect them and their boundaries regardless of age or what we're shooting.

This

Feb 23 13 11:39 am Link

Photographer

Rob Walker

Brighton, Colorado, US

Barely StL wrote:
Apparently it matters to some models.

Several months ago a photographer (considered by many to be one of the best if not *the* best artistic nude photographer on MM), who I believe in his 70's, received an email from an 18-year-old model informing him that he's too old to shoot nudes.

I won't name him, because that might be considered outing - but he did an amusing forum post on the subject.

I remember that one.. smile

Feb 23 13 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Harold Rose wrote:

The mind slows down at 30,   I sure feel sorry for you!!!

That's at least two of us who will feel sorry for anyone who finds their mind slowing at 30. We are both in the same age group.

Feb 23 13 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Yippieskip wrote:
It depends on the photographer, but for the most part I will say that yes, for me it definitely does matter. I put eroticism into everything I shoot and I'm sorry, but if you look old enough to be my grandfather, it's not easy for me to bounce that sexual energy off you.

...excuse me while I take "Yippieskip" (...Yippieskip...REALLY?...) off my list of models to shoot with...

Feb 23 13 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Age of photographer -- does that matter?

Age is just a number.  The questions that should be asked are...

1.  Are they proficient with their equipment (both camera and lighting)?
2.  Can they edit images with quality results?
3.  Do they have a studio? (not a necessity but definitely a benefit)
4.  Are they able-bodied enough to hike and endour extreme locations?
5.  Are they inventive enough to create unique, exciting and artistically cool images?

If the answer to all of these are YES... book that supershooter!... borat

Feb 23 13 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

robert b mitchell

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

The vast majority of models could not care less. Its the quality of work that attracts them and reputation as being professional!!!!

Feb 23 13 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Model Mentor Studio

Saint Catharines-Niagara, Ontario, Canada

I'm 47 but run with the geek portion of the brain of a 30 yr old.
I think it helps being a bit older for a few reasons....
I'm less of a threat to the 22 yr old bf's out there
I'm old enough to always think with the proper head.
I've seen more naked women than most doctors and am sufficiently desensitized.
But at the same time as you age you appreciate the art and beauty that is the female form and for art's sake. I am not remotely interested in a romantic encounter with someone young enough to be my kid. I become friends with most models I shoot. At the same time my BS detector is finely tuned and I have little time for crap.
I survived cancer and three brain aneurysms.....all I see now is beauty and my job as a photographer is to capture what I see in my mind and make it digital.

Feb 23 13 07:58 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Randall_Oelerich wrote:
Curious what models think on this topic? I am mid-fifty, though as anybody over 30 will tell you we stop aging mentally at about age 30, a cruelty of biology to feel 30 but be trapped in an aging body (I look at older and old people now a lot different, realizing inside they are 30 though their skin sags and their hair thins and the bones weaken). The nature of models is pretty much self-selecting for beauty and a young age range of 16 to perhaps 30 at most. So we have photographers of whatever age, and young beautiful models-- does the age of the photographer matter to you models?  Does doing photoshoots with photographers twice your age bother you? What about even much older photographers say 65+, would that turn you off or would you look at that as a plus at having someone with more experience and skill to help you the model improve your portfolio and career?  ...

Since I'm nearly 47 I am going to try to answer from hindsight when I did my first few shoots over 20 years ago...

No, it has no bearing or worry.

My first day of shooting included a swimsuit. These two pics came from it. The color swimsuit photographer was over 50 and the other one had to be mid to early 40's.

Neither was creepy to me at all and it was obvious that we were trying to get the shot. I however was incredibly new to all of this and had no idea.
https://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o778/Jennifer_Blocker/theHarleycalanderpose001_zps8b931ca9.jpg
https://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o778/Jennifer_Blocker/Thepinuppose001_zps7ac7af2c.jpg
Thanks for the memory lane though!
Jen

p.s. this is great:

Rick OBanion Photo wrote:
At the same time my BS detector is finely tuned and I have little time for crap.
I survived cancer and three brain aneurysms.....all I see now is beauty and my job as a photographer is to capture what I see in my mind and make it digital.

Feb 24 13 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Yippieskip wrote:
It depends on the photographer, but for the most part I will say that yes, for me it definitely does matter. I put eroticism into everything I shoot and I'm sorry, but if you look old enough to be my grandfather, it's not easy for me to bounce that sexual energy off you.

Well than your an ageist!  I see your comment about your first scene, I'm not sure but most of those running such sites are getting close to your age phobia.

I shoot 250 nudes a year and I am known for how comfortable I make my models and how beautiful an experience my shoot with them are.  But than again I am only old enough to be you father not your grandfather.... (Lol)

Feb 24 13 10:49 pm Link

Model

Stormee

San Antonio, Texas, US

Feb 24 13 11:09 pm Link

Model

Elizabeta Rosandic

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I have no interest in dating a photographer, so his/her age is of no importance to me.

I should also mention that I've worked with young photographers who were amazing and older photographers who sucked, and vice versa. Everyone's different.

Feb 26 13 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Darryl Henick

Davis, California, US

Be polite and professional and all people should feel comfortable with you.  If they don't, that says more about them than it does about you.  There is a saying, "what other people think about me is none of my business."  Go by it and you'll always feel ok about yourself and others.

Feb 26 13 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Karasev Studio

New York, New York, US

Like everything else, a photographer's age does matter. The extent to which it matters, depends. Assuming no separate art director on the shoot, if the desired look calls for some sexual undercurrent, it is between the photographer and the model to create the level of sexual energy needed.

An experienced model with a substantial acting talent can make up for the photographer's shortcoming in this regard. However what is often seen on MM are well-conceived, well-exposed concepts, but the models' expressions aren't carrying the look. They look either vacant or uncomfortable in their own skin.

One of the culprits may be, for amateur work with no particular objective or benchmark, people just don't care for the expression; another is, with no male in the room who the model considers sexually viable, it is hard for her to get the level of energy (incl. sexual) and moral support to completely own / carry / sell the look, the pose, the point of the shoot.

Feb 26 13 08:11 am Link

Photographer

SG-4 Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Kathleen Michaels wrote:
I do not have a problem with the age of a photographer. Never did. My first photographer was without a doubt twice my age (oh so many years ago). And now I don't mind shooting with photogs older or younger.

And I am not a young model... so maybe my thoughts do differ, but I agree with you, I am not here to find a date. Sometimes I get real frustrated at some of the guys who think that is what I am here for.

Kathleen

For the record.  No man thinks women are on mm to find a date.  We know better.  The men you are referring to HOPE you will respond to their advance as THEY are here looking, not for a date, but sex....a date leading to sex...etc....  Those are the creeps.  Those are the GWC's.  and their ports will always reveal who they are.

Feb 26 13 09:05 am Link