Forums > Photography Talk > Liquid Latex

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Planning a shoot and the possible use of liquid latex.

Has anyone used it and what were the pros and cons or problems I should watch out for?

Jack

Aug 20 05 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher M

Sioux City, Iowa, US

The problem with Liquid latex, is sometimes its expensive, or in some cases, a model might have trouble peeling it off (nikki vega, posted about that expierence before)

And LL sometimes just isnt access available,

Aug 20 05 11:40 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

you can always find LL somewhere,but like Christopher said sometimes it can be quite pricey.now if the model is going to wear LL make sure she completly shaves every part of her body wear the LL will go.otherwise it will hurt like hell when you go to peel it off.
but I have heard from other's about a spray that you can spray on body whereever the LL will be(and won't hurt when removing the LL )so shaving isn't nesscary but I have never seen that shit before.
xxx
MP

Aug 20 05 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Codis_K Photography

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I dont know how porous liquid latex is, but this goes for any kind of body painting.  NEVER cover the entire body in paint.  Always leave a large patch uncoved, such as on the back.  Covering someone completely will cause the skin to suffocate or something like that.  Maybe its just an urban legend, but I've noticed in some high end shoots, they always have a patch on the back they leave uncovered.

Aug 21 05 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Vihao

MCLEAN, Texas, US

Codis_K Photography wrote:
I dont know how porous liquid latex is, but this goes for any kind of body painting.  NEVER cover the entire body in paint.  Always leave a large patch uncoved, such as on the back.  Covering someone completely will cause the skin to suffocate or something like that.  Maybe its just an urban legend, but I've noticed in some high end shoots, they always have a patch on the back they leave uncovered.

This has nothing to do with oxygen deprivation.  One of the functions of the skin is to regulate body temperature by sweating.  The sweat evaporates, which absorbs heat from the body.  Interfering with the sweat and evaporation process can cause discomfort in the short term and perhaps heat stroke under extreme conditions.

According to http://liquidlatex.net/productinfo/ their LL product does allow the skin to "breath".  It should be fairly safe, although I have no personal experience with this product, or any like it.

Aug 21 05 12:58 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Yeah, Mythbusters covered the old gold paint on the body thing (very similar to the liquid latex thing).  They said that body temperature was more of a threat than actual suffocation because of the non-pourous issue.

Aug 21 05 01:23 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

OK here you go.  This is NOT a sales pitch..   I do sell liquid latex.   the liquid latex I sell it Raw UNCUT not thinned out like the Major brands you see everywhere. There is alot of differance in liquid latex products.  I have been dealing with Latex and Liquid latex for over 20 years now.  I am Not and expert as some people would say. But here is your info Good and Bad.

First off you CAN cover the whole body I have.  If you go look at my portfolio there is one pic with the model wearing the Blue liquid latex looking in the mirror.  This one shot was during the removal process.  The other one wich is a FULL view I just posted for this thread as you can see in the mirror she is completly covered. Except she is wearing a pair os latex panties 

The only reason for the panties was she had another shoot that night and didn't want it in the cooch. I said well I guess you could go over them, with the liquid. 

She had NO problem with this at all.  However being more experianced then most on doing and shooting this there are things to do and not do.

Requirement #1   Model Safety.  Make perfectly sure she is NOT alergic to latex. You have to ash her if she is. I don't like to get personal with Models but people are alergic to ANY kind of latex now.  Not alot of them but it is getting worse I have been told.   So the first question is ask if she is alergice to Rubber gloves and or Latex condoms.  if yes then Stop there and find another model.

Requirement #2   As stated above Shave everything every where it's going to go. and if you can put the hair up in a bun a wig the model. Like I did on sarah. if it's in HAIR it will rip it out when you remove it. And you will never get her to repeat the liquid ever again.

Requirement #3  Use some kind of body lotion on her before you put the Liquid on her as well but let it dry so it's not oily when you put the liquid on or it will ball up and be useless.  Or if you have now lotion to put on it will come off in smaller peices and take longer to remove.

Requirement #4 Make sure the models drinks plenty of water before putting it on and it's cool where you do it as well so she doesn't over heat.   I use a FAN to blow Not only the FUMES from the liquid latex away but to dry it faster as well. Liquid latex has Ammonia in it to keep it in a Liquid state. And of couse who like the smell of Ammonia. When you first open up the can it stinks.

Requirement #5  Before you EVEN try any of this test the Model  before hand with a test patch on her Forearm or Back as they are more sensitive then any where else.  I ask her to leave it on herself for a few hours or so and make sure there is No reaction to it. That way I am positive I can do the shoot.

Now you have all that taken care of the fun begins. LOL

I the case of Sarah Miss Blue girl Hottie on my port.  I had her start with putting  VINYL gloves on it don't stuck as well to the vinyl.  If you use latex gloves it sticks to each other faster and does not work as well and balls up from sticking to the gloves.  She started from the ankles up to her neck and then her back and arms. Totally covered.  We did some shooting fully covered wich I can not post other then whats here. She was covered for the better part of 2 hours. 

In doing this One very Important thing is depending on the brand of latex you buy.  Again no sales pitch it will either take a lot to cover in one coat or not alot. With sarah it took 1/8th of a gallong of latex to cover her. depending on what and how you want it to look and what type of shoot your doing you will need 2 or 3 coats.    The reason being is if it don't cover thick enough it will look patchy.  I did NOT pshop the photo I put up so if you look close in the Mirror you can see her back was not covered as well as the front. She could not reach it as well.  And we were under time constraints for her next shoot so we didn't do 2 coats.

If You  do apply 2 or 3 coats.. Make sure they dry completly before the next coat or again it will just ball up and not be smooth.  After you have your desired coverage let the last one dry totally about 15 20 minutes in FRONT of a Fan or use a Blow dryer.  On  low heat.  the blow dryer will wrinkle it if it's to hot. Fan is Best.

Then Apply your latex Shine stuff over the top of it and you have what will look like a real catsuit.  Again FYI if you cover the Nips with round band aides and some Masking tape down below you will not have camel toe or nips showing.  And again it looks like a real catsuit.

Class dismissed says David Lee Roth

Happy Liquid latexing.

Here is your shameless plug now.   65 bucks plus shipping per gallon almost any color.

Aug 21 05 05:07 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

I left out in my last post  the thicker you put it on the easyer it is to come off in Less peices.  Or if the model Sweats pretty good under it.  It will also peel off nicely.  One coat does take about an hour or so to get completely off 2 coats or more half hour. Depending on the body lotion. 

And if you do Need it to Stay on for 3 hours or more then Don't use anything under it. The sweat will push it off the skin.

Aug 21 05 05:20 am Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

latex-fashions wrote:
I left out in my last post  the thicker you put it on the easyer it is to come off in Less peices.  Or if the model Sweats pretty good under it.  It will also peel off nicely.  One coat does take about an hour or so to get completely off 2 coats or more half hour. Depending on the body lotion. 

And if you do Need it to Stay on for 3 hours or more then Don't use anything under it. The sweat will push it off the skin.

Thank you for your details, very informative.  Now I assume the model will still have a full range on motion!  I had already told her we will have to test for a reaction, so she is prepaired, and I already knew it was pricy, but the effect will be worth it. Thanks again!

Aug 22 05 12:39 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

Thanks Jack and if you have further questions let me know.  She will not lose range of motion.   

She will however KILL you if she gets it in her hair. And you will lose Motion.   LOL   And also finally while she is putting it on or whoever does.  And do not use a Paint roller or paint brush. They leave it bumpy or streaks in it.   

MAKE 1000%  sure it does NOT get on normal clothing or rugs or any cloth it will Not come off.  I normally put plastic down on the floor in the whole room. you would be suprised how much mess it can make if you rush.  Cheap painters plastic is all thats needed.  After it's on go outside or wherever your shooting and have fun.

Aug 22 05 04:10 am Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

latex-fashions wrote:
She will however KILL you if she gets it in her hair. And you will lose Motion.   LOL   And also finally while she is putting it on or whoever does.  And do not use a Paint roller or paint brush. They leave it bumpy or streaks in it.

No paint brush, Ok what do you use?

Aug 22 05 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ebay is a good source, believe it or not.  It is very hard, if not impossible, to get the stuff to dry nice and smooth.

Aug 23 05 02:38 am Link