Forums > Photography Talk > Video File Size- Canon T3i

Model

Akara Fang

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I got my camera finally and it's amazing! The video is amazing in full HD 1080p however the file sizes are HUGE. Suggestion on what program to use to convert the file to something smaller? It saves in .mov

I generally use MP4 for my videos.

Thank you!

Feb 19 13 11:33 am Link

Photographer

MN camera

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Lady Akara wrote:
I got my camera finally and it's amazing! The video is amazing in full HD 1080p however the file sizes are HUGE. Suggestion on what program to use to convert the file to something smaller? It saves in .mov

Thank you!

Actually, those are not huge file sizes for HD 1080 video.  Look into uncompressed 4:4:4:4 if you want a good shock.

The .mov files are h.264 MP4 in a Quicktime "wrapper" and should be openable in any edit program.  If you just want to play them, VLC will open almost anything with a non-corrupt file structure.  (It's free.)

There is a nice, free utility called Format Factory that will convert almost any video or audio file format to almost anything else.

Feb 19 13 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Lady Akara wrote:

Thank you!

Almost all new cameras with HD video generate big files.

HD means big files.

The free video editing on Macs and PC usually lets you decide how the final movie will be rendered, and how big (in MB's) you want them sized.

Check the features of the editing app, those options are there available.

Feb 19 13 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

vegas movie studio HD is a good pay for program. If you just want to convert a nice free tool is AVC http://www.any-video-converter.com/prod … ideo_free/

My final product is a mp4

Feb 19 13 05:31 pm Link

Model

Akara Fang

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks. I know but they seem to be extra big lol. 3min movie is 1.12GB..... I sell videos if I did a 10min one it would probably be 10gb, who would buy that? lol

Feb 19 13 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

do you have to selll them at hq 1080p? i shoot stuff at 720p and it's pretty good already. have a 7d.

btw, ive downloaded video that are more than 10 mins and it was under 1gb. there is a way to get around it.

Feb 19 13 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Lady Akara wrote:
Thanks. I know but they seem to be extra big lol. 3min movie is 1.12GB..... I sell videos if I did a 10min one it would probably be 10gb, who would buy that? lol

You edit, color correct, etc. on a full resolution master file.  After you are done, you then compress the file for distribution using different settings for different delivery.  It is always a compromise between resolution, size and quality.

Feb 19 13 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Itkis76

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

Mpeg Streamclip is a great one for Mac. You could also use Quicktime Pro to compress.  Are you editing at all or just doing straight clips?  You could also reduce the file size simply by cutting the resolution down

Feb 19 13 06:03 pm Link

Model

Akara Fang

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I am on windows. I generally use Windows Movie Maker and save as MP4. I got Sony Vegas Pro 12 but it's so confusing!

The ONLY editing I do is trimming off the bloopers and adding cross fade transitions. Nothing special at all. lol

Feb 19 13 06:57 pm Link

Model

Akara Fang

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I am thinking of getting a camcorder for video, would that get rid of most of the problem?

Feb 19 13 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

MN camera

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

Lady Akara wrote:
I am thinking of getting a camcorder for video, would that get rid of most of the problem?

Not really.  The bitrate is going to be pretty much the same in those forms.  DSLR video is something people like for two reasons: First, there's usually serious glass in front of a larger chip than in most dedicated camcorders, which leads to the second reason, which is that the selective DoF is video's current "shiny thing" and thus to be much loved.

3 min. and some change is going to be about a gig or so, that's the nature of what you're shooting.  And that's heavily compressed already, being written to the card.  Really, that's not out of line. 

You're also getting good advice above about AVC - once you've trimmed and output, you can set AVC to output smaller MP4 files for web distribution.

Feb 19 13 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lady Akara wrote:
I got Sony Vegas Pro 12 but it's so confusing!

Learn it - I use Vegas 10... and it's a fantastic program. Files will still end up large but not nearly as bad as the original.

The last few videos I made (HD output) ended up about 100-150MB per minute... DVD quality is easily 50-75MB per, so still quite small.

Feb 19 13 07:42 pm Link

Photographer

Itkis76

West Chester, Pennsylvania, US

There are plenty of ways really to accomplish this. I do about 50 vids a month on average so I'm pretty used to compression settings. All my output is 1080p, H.264 QuickTime.  But I do set the bitrate to about 10mbps. This is actually more than most web can handle but when I upload to YouTube or anything else, it'll usually cut down to 7 or 8 anyway. Most of my 3 min vids come out around 200 megs. You can do H.264 mp4s also. I'd stick with h.264 as its a very high quality compression. I worked in broadcast television for years and if we received outside vendor footage, h264 was the only thing we would accept as being broadcast quality

Feb 19 13 07:42 pm Link

Model

Akara Fang

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks. I have just been using this for video and it looks great for HD video and file size isn't that bad. Edited a 15min video in movie maker saved as MP4 came out to 109mb.

The only thing is it's widescreen and I can't turn it sideways so full body close ups are kind of out of the question unless someone knows how to change it?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Widescre … rds=webcam

Feb 19 13 11:52 pm Link

Model

Akara Fang

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

:-)

Feb 23 13 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

PR Zone

London, England, United Kingdom

Almost any serious editing program will let you do what you need - and choose the output file size (including 'rotating 90 degrees for full screen' etc).

These days, most of what we do (video wise) is output as 'YouTube, Wide Screen HD' so that people can embed it directly into their web sites etc

That way, you don't need to worry about file size, because YouTube is streaming it - not you

Of course, you need to find a way to work that suits your business

Example?

Well, if you want to set up a taxi company - you don't need to know how to build a car. So, what if you find someone local - maybe a university student who is doing film etc - and get them to do the work for you :-)

Feb 26 13 12:17 am Link