Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Do You Like The New Windows 8 Start Page?

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

https://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/6.2/2012-Win8GA/2a276423-9dbd-4ac5-89d6-5d74b55f78c1_22.jpg

I hate it.

It just doubles up on everything.

But over a few days... after a bit of wrestling...

I was able to get back to the Windows 7 Desktop.

...by slowly transfering all icons to the real desktop.

https://www.winthemepack.com/wp-content/uploads/Windows_7_Black_Logon_Screen_1-610x320.jpg

Running on 8, gave the Start Screen a flick... good riddance.

Feb 20 13 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

no, and why did it take you days? i found the reset in two minutes at a best buy. tongue

Feb 20 13 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ralph Easy

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

GK photo wrote:
no, and why did it take you days? i found the reset in two minutes at a best buy. tongue

Well, actually you could swap the desktop in half a second by pressing the "windows" hot key. smile

What took me days was to make it look like my old computer... lots of file migration and re-registration. (new computer)

Feb 20 13 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

Well, actually you could swap the desktop in half a second by pressing the "windows" hot key. smile

What took me days was to make it look like my old computer... lots of file migration and re-registration. (new computer)

got ya. smile and yes, the interface is hideous.

Feb 20 13 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

I am not a windows users.

But....

I have looked at this interface in ads, etc.  I kept thinking that it seemed "very busy" to me personally.  It just looked "wrong" to me.  In fairness, I really have not heard too many actual win8 users say what I am thinking so, I figured that I was the odd-ball.

Feb 20 13 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mad Hatter Imagery

Buffalo, New York, US

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:

I think Windows hasn't been nearly as helpful after Bill Gates retired. I hope Star Wars won't suck now that George Lucas is retiring. lol.

Feb 20 13 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Guss W

Clearwater, Florida, US

I did the same thing - slowly migrating to the familiar Desktop.
I never did figure out what was supposed to be wrong with the old Start menu.  I guess when you've got market control, you don't have to consult with consumers.

Feb 20 13 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

GK photo wrote:
i found the reset in two minutes at a best buy. tongue

Which one? I want to reset mine, too!

Feb 20 13 11:14 pm Link

Model

misszara

Seoul, Seoul, Korea (South)

It's so annoying! It had internet explorer -_-

oh dear....

Feb 21 13 02:58 am Link

Photographer

Stay Puft

Ofu, Manu'a, American Samoa

That screen is basically the old start menu with enhancements. Basically they changed to that so it would work better for devices with a touch screen interface like tablets.

You can configure Win8 to boot straight to the desktop if you prefer, and then launch the start screen by pressing the window key rather than clicking the start button. It's not really much of a change in the end.

Feb 21 13 06:59 am Link