Forums > Photography Talk > Split portfolio or work under a second name?

Photographer

AskaniPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Looking for opinions on this.
My regular port is in the style I have up here on this name. Basic stuff I suppose.

I have other projects that I have worked on that include nude/implied, graphic/horror and fantasy themed.

Should I put everything under one name to show diversity or keep the other work separate?

Feb 26 13 12:19 am Link

Photographer

J E W E T T

al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia

If I had to do it all over again, I'd split them up.  People tend to think one thing or another about those...so do yourself a favor and attract the specific type of people you want to each type.

Feb 26 13 12:26 am Link

Model

Lethal Leta

Denton, Texas, US

Thanks y'all! I've been wondering if another profile would benefit more than say a fb fan page... I'll definitely see if I can combine my eclectic self into a few other profiles highlighting certain strongpoints. Now if I can just remember what to call them.... Lol

Feb 26 13 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

I'd stick with one if I were you.  My thinking is that it's hard enough to make yourself memorable anyway without splitting things up with multiple identities. If you subdivide everything you just give people a chance to forget you several times instead of once.

For this reason I don't chose to go on online forums under anything other than my own name.

But if in doubt, I try always to think about what my photographic heroes did.  I know both Elliott Erwitt and Bob Carlos Clarke (RIP) have worked under pseudonyms.  I'm sure there are others I don't know about but unless I find out Richard Avedon or Helmut Newton did it, I'm sticking to the name my parents chose.

Feb 26 13 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Doce Vida

Los Angeles, California, US

I split my work between Fashion (This Page) and everything else. Coldpiece Photography.  I am actually still in the middle of moving things around.  My fashion clients don't like digging through a website full of other things.

Feb 26 13 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Matt Forma

Denver, Colorado, US

Feb 26 13 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

I split mine up. I am more of a hobbyist than anything. For a long time everything was on the same website, with one of those silly "are you 18?" pages before you can click on the +18 page. My 12 year old niece like sot check out my page a lot because of the kids and animals on it, so I decided separating it to two sites that are not linked.

I did it for personal reasons. i think if I was doing this to make a living, I'd be concerned with marketing myself as a whole and I probably wouldn't been as tempted to split them up.

Mar 08 13 07:03 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

I keep my images of fully clothed models hidden away in an alternate profile. I don't want to shock the nude models with those images, they might get the wrong impression.

Mar 08 13 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

JM Fotography

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

I recently created a separate profile/port, so far it's been an awesome idea I'm getting a greater number of contacts for each then I was while they were together.

Mar 10 13 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

DBImagery Toronto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Robert Jewett wrote:
If I had to do it all over again, I'd split them up.  People tend to think one thing or another about those...so do yourself a favor and attract the specific type of people you want to each type.

+1

Mar 11 13 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Dan D Lyons Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Robert Jewett wrote:

DBImagery Toronto wrote:
+1

+2

Mar 11 13 04:35 am Link

Photographer

DBIphotography Events

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Robert Jewett wrote:

DBImagery Toronto wrote:
+1

DBIphotography Toronto wrote:
+2

+3  tongue  (I won't bother posting from my model-page lol)

Mar 11 13 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Well, I notice you asked if you should show diversity instead of asking if you should separate due to the nature of the content.

Separate. Many third party clients aren't interested in your diversity. They have specific needs and want to feel like you'll deliver precisely what they need. “This guy knows food photography. We need food photography. He can deliver for us.” That sort of thing. They don't care if you don't show that you can do other things, you just have to show that you can do THEIR thing. Make them think you're focused.

So keep them separate. Maybe it requires a little more juggling inthe maintenance but if its not worth a little balancing… well, it really isn't THAT big a deal, is it? Especially if it proves to bring people in.

Mar 11 13 07:20 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

AskaniPhoto wrote:
Looking for opinions on this.
My regular port is in the style I have up here on this name. Basic stuff I suppose.

I have other projects that I have worked on that include nude/implied, graphic/horror and fantasy themed.

Should I put everything under one name to show diversity or keep the other work separate?

People tend to want to pigeon hole you under one genre. If the genres are too different then people won't be able to "categorize" you. That's not good. Make it easy for people to understand you. So if your stuff is baby portraits and then nudes? Definitely split. But if it's glamour and nudes? Perhaps not.

The other consideration is how the genres affect your personal life. If you moonlight as a nude photographer but your day job is a Supreme Court judge, you might wanna split the work and put your nudes under an "alter ego" that's not traceable back to your "real life" identity. I have lots of workshop photographers that have to do this due to the region they live in or their daytime profession.

Cheers! smile

Mar 11 13 11:32 am Link